three questions

Old July 24th 17, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default three questions

Frank Krygowski wrote:

I actually read it cover to cover, taking
notes. I learned a lot. And I still have that
book (and others) for reference.

I've read a couple of books on bikes by now and
yes, you always learn something new but mostly
it is just "yes, that's true" and "yes, I have
that tool too". It is a lot of self-evident
things like get the right tool, the right
"PPE", read the label on the bottle, keep
a tidy workbench, and so on and it isn't really
what anyone cares to read.

To have a general DIY book and look things up
would be amazing but the people who writes it
must be really good, otherwise it won't work.
It has to be strong on details. A huge book -
several thousand pages, or several volumes.

YouTube has perhaps replaced the need for such
a book/encyclopedia to some extent, however I'm
more of a book then video guy, and often with
a video you spend too much time being annoyed
with the guy speaking, the colors or music
etc., which has nothing to do with what he
is saying.

The videos I've seen hasn't really been that
strong on details.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old July 24th 17, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Emanuel Berg wrote:

I've read a couple of books on bikes by now
and yes, you always learn something new but
mostly it is just "yes, that's true" and
"yes, I have that tool too". It is a lot of
self-evident things like get the right tool,
the right "PPE", read the label on the
bottle, keep a tidy workbench, and so on and
it isn't really what anyone cares to read.

Ropes! It is the exception that confirms
the rule. This book is great!

I know now by heart one hitch, one bend, one
static and one adjustable loop, and one
stop nut.

It is great and I do it almost every day.
But the book contains many other knots as well,
for sure.

@book{ultimate-encyclopedia-of-knots-and-ropework,
author = {Geoffrey Budworth},
ISBN = 1844768910,
publisher = {Southwater},
title = {The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Knots and Ropework},
year = 2010
}

Old July 24th 17, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 7:59:17 AM UTC-7, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Emanuel Berg wrote:

[...]

You must have some very eclectic interests. A have dozen knots are all you need on any modern sailboat. All the ropes are synthetic and most are now double woven.
Old July 24th 17, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

You must have some very eclectic interests.

"eclectic" meaning...?

Eclectic \Ec*lec"tic\, a. [Gr. ?, fr. ? to pick out, choose out:
cf. F. ['e]clectique. See {Eclogue}, and cf. {Elect}.]
1. Selecting; choosing (what is true or excellent in
doctrines, opinions, etc.) from various sources or
systems; as, an eclectic philosopher.
[1913 Webster]

2. Consisting, or made up, of what is chosen or selected; as,
an eclectic method; an eclectic magazine.
[1913 Webster]

{Eclectic physician}, one of a class of practitioners of
medicine, who select their modes of practice and medicines
from all schools; formerly, sometimes the same as botanic
physician. [U.S.]

{Eclectic school}. (Paint.) See {Bolognese school}, under
{Bolognese}.
[1913 Webster]

A have dozen knots are all you need on any
modern sailboat. All the ropes are synthetic
and most are now double woven.

The sailboat is still on the ground. But there
are many applications for ropes even at land.
Even in the bedroom actually ha ha. No, here
are two examples:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/work-photos/lamp.jpg
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/work-photos/door.jpg

Old July 24th 17, 11:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/24/2017 10:50 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

I know others who love YouTube videos, and sometimes they can be useful.
But often a book is much better organized, due to professional
editors. It has an index allowing me to go quickly to the proper page.
And it has margins that I use for notes, making the second time through
a job a lot more efficient.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 24th 17, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 9:42:55 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 7:46:12 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 10:26:26 PM UTC-4, Emanuel Berg wrote:
John B. Slocomb wrote:

If this is a "wood screw" depending on what
the screw is holding perhaps a larger
diameter screw. If a "machine screw" then
perhaps loctite.

It is all big wood screws. A larger diameter
won't do as it'll then be too big to pass thru
the hole of whatever it is it should hold.

Could you fill the hole with something and then
screw anew?

Or forget about the screw and glue the detail?
Will that carry enough strength, and
be resistant?

Typically it is three screws in a circle, and
one of them is loose.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

Epoxy in a wood plug. When cured drill the plug and insert the screw.

Yes, but this is a craftsman operation. You have to drill a hole ONLY to the bottom of the screw hole, glue in a HARDWOOD plug and then after allowing it to set up for a couple of days, drill it to the proper diameter and depth for the original wood screw. The fact that it is loose means that it was probably improperly drilled in the first place.

GNAW woods swells n contracts swells n contratcs never going to swell 1 again

the screws corrode n grow smaller as wood shrinks

in a boat

in dry wood a corroding fastner esp rod will jam caws there's more corrosion water n oxygen atoms than the hole will hols
Old July 25th 17, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

Books don't require electricity and they are often more convenient. The lacing pattern page in The Bicycle Wheel is dog-eared. If I have a beer too many and forget whether its the first hole to the left or right or which way to spin the hub, etc., I can grab the book with my greasy hands and look.

The great part about books is what's on the pages that you flip past getting to the chapter on toilet wax-rings or what have you. YouTube is somewhat myopic -- you don't get the 20,000 foot view. There is nothing like a good index to tell you what you don't know.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 25th 17, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:

I know others who love YouTube videos, and
sometimes they can be useful. But often
a book is much better organized, due to
professional editors. It has an index
allowing me to go quickly to the proper page.
And it has margins that I use for notes,
making the second time through a job a lot
more efficient.

A great book is always better than a YT video.
A great YT video, I suppose, would be better
than most mediocre books - more time-efficient,
at least.

Foundation of all intelligence, the Swedish
name Lars:

L - läsa - read
a - agera - act (including social interactions, sports, etc.)
r - räkna - count (as in math, programming, tire dimensions, anything analytical)
s - skriva - write

At least I never met I single stupid person who
did it.

Old July 25th 17, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

jbeattie wrote:

Books don't require electricity and they are
often more convenient. The lacing pattern page
in The Bicycle Wheel is dog-eared. If I have
a beer too many and forget whether its the
first hole to the left or right or which way to
spin the hub, etc., I can grab the book with my
greasy hands and look.

The great part about books is what's on the
pages that you flip past getting to the chapter
on toilet wax-rings or what have you.
YouTube is somewhat myopic -- you don't get the
20,000 foot view. There is nothing like a good
index to tell you what you don't know.

Agree 100%

George W. Bush:

One of the great things about books is
sometimes there are some
fantastic pictures.

Quote used to make fun of Old Double-U.

But isn't he actually right? It *is* one of the
great things about books!

Old July 25th 17, 01:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

The key to wooden boats is epoxy

Man, I hope you are right!

Because there are so many loose screws it is
a joke! The dowel or "rotate" solutions will
require many, many man-hours on top of
this boat.

I'm thinking of removing all loose screws, go
to the accursed HW store, get identical ones
for those damaged, get epoxy, do it all in one
go...

By the way, if epoxy is so good, why isn't it
used for normal, non-boat carpentry as well?
Expensive? Not necessary? Not as old-school
classy? Or is it, actually?

And: why do all screws come loose?! Is it the
boat being hit by the sea or is the ropes etc.
pulling the stowage brackets etc.
from different angles?

What did people do before the age of
epoxy? Work?