Offending the puncture gods

Old February 2nd 05, 10:52 PM
suzyj

Default Offending the puncture gods

Hi guys,

Must have really upset some deity. Two punctures in the last week
both wrecking near-new tyres. I hadn't even worn the mould-flash of
the front one.

I mean, it wouldn't be so bad if they were _definately_ stuffed, but i
each case there's a small cut, just big enough to bulge and let the tub
poke out

Regards,

Suzy

PS: If anyone mentions that these things happen in threes, I'l
scream

--
suzyj

Old February 2nd 05, 11:03 PM
ritcho

suzyj Wrote:
Hi guys,

Must have really upset some deity. Two punctures in the last week
both wrecking near-new tyres. I hadn't even worn the mould-flash of
the front one.

I mean, it wouldn't be so bad if they were _definately_ stuffed, but i
each case there's a small cut, just big enough to bulge and let the tub
poke out

Regards,

Suzy

PS: If anyone mentions that these things happen in threes, I'l
scream!

Don't say the word that describes a tyre that is unable to hold air
I've had one of those already this year. In my case, it _is_ near th
end of the tyre's life - a Bontrager Race-Lite. I don't think I'll ge
it again, they're not bad for racing but are not the best for racin
either and they tend to cut rather easily. Otoh, the grey sidewall
matched my silver bike...

Ritc

--
ritcho

Old February 2nd 05, 11:07 PM
Bluenose

suzyj wrote:

Hi guys,

Must have really upset some deity. Two punctures in the last week,
both wrecking near-new tyres. I hadn't even worn the mould-flash off
the front one.

I mean, it wouldn't be so bad if they were _definately_ stuffed, but in
each case there's a small cut, just big enough to bulge and let the tube
poke out

Regards,

Suzy

PS: If anyone mentions that these things happen in threes, I'll
scream!

--
suzyj

You know these things often happen in 3's don't ya Suzy? ;-)

Sorry I just wanted to hear you scream. :-)

Cheers
Old February 2nd 05, 11:10 PM
flyingdutch

suzyj Wrote:
Hi guys,

Must have really upset some deity. Two punctures in the last week
both wrecking near-new tyres. I hadn't even worn the mould-flash of
the front one.

I mean, it wouldn't be so bad if they were _definately_ stuffed, but i
each case there's a small cut, just big enough to bulge and let the tub
poke out

Regards,

Suzy

PS: If anyone mentions that these things happen in threes, I'l
scream!

Ahah! you have been got by...

http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/pf_1.gif

print him out. stick to helmet and guaranteed to ward off all evil! :
:

--
flyingdutch

Old February 3rd 05, 08:06 AM

suzyj,

Did you run over some of these things?

http://www.fzrm.com/plantextracts/Pu...it_extract.htm

My December in Canberra wasn't too good puncture-wise: I managed to
get no less than six of these stuck in my tyres in one go (3 in the
front, 2 visible in the back, and the spike of one invisibly stuck in
the back). The spike that I didn't notice caused another two or three
punctures.

Add to that another random puncture (no idea what caused it) and
another due to those caltrops on my girlfriend's bike, and I had a
rather frustrating month!
Haven't seen them in Brisbane, thankfully.

-- gecko

Old February 3rd 05, 10:33 AM
flyingdutch

Wrote:
suzyj,

Did you run over some of these things?

http://tinyurl.com/6pbrg

-- gecko

I have heard some nastee organic spikey things referred to a
"3-corner-jacks" (or similar?) by Adelaidians. is that, them?
(the 'jacks' not the croweaters

--
flyingdutch

Old February 3rd 05, 11:49 AM
TimC

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 at 10:33 GMT, flyingdutch (aka Bruce)

Wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/6pbrg
I have heard some nastee organic spikey things referred to as
"3-corner-jacks" (or similar?) by Adelaidians. is that, them?

Fond memories.

Do we not have them in Victoria, or have I just not ****ed off the
puncture goddess enough yet?

Ah, so many of life's little problems can be solved by head
vaporisation. -- Zixia in ARK
Old February 3rd 05, 11:58 AM
HughMann

flyingdutch Wrote:
I have heard some nastee organic spikey things referred to a
"3-corner-jacks" (or similar?) by Adelaidians. is that, them?
(the 'jacks' not the croweaters )

Will send you a bucket full of them FD. try this link.
http://www.ento.csiro.au/weeds/emex/
Woody lump about 4mm with 3, 4mm long spikes. Pic shows them green bu
when dry will go straight through thongs.
Problem in Townsville is that when the grass is cut beside paths th
three-cornered jack get thrown up and lie in ambush for next cyclist.
Very soon learn not to go off road/path ,or if you do wipe the tyre
over carefully ( they bloody hurt!) before mounting up.
Armadillo slicks, Mr Tuffee tape and regular inspections are a must.
always carry 2 spare tubes because of three-cornered jacks.

Cheers
Hugh
PS Hope you lot in Melbourne enjoyed the remnant of that cyclone w
had 3 weeks ago. You pinched my rain

--
HughMann

Old February 3rd 05, 12:13 PM
TimC

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 at 11:58 GMT, HughMann (aka Bruce)
PS Hope you lot in Melbourne enjoyed the remnant of that cyclone we
had 3 weeks ago. You pinched my rain!

I figured it was a cyclone remnant.

I lived in Sunny Qld for 3 years, and didn't see a cyclone once.

I did, however, see the tail end of one as both it and us were going
through Coonabarabran. Cyclone Joy, IIRC.

Qld weather sux, by the way - false advertising all the way.

"Whenever someone thinks that they can replace SSL/SSH with something much
better that they designed this morning over coffee, their computer
speakers should generate some sort of penis-shaped sound wave and plunge
it repeatedly into their skulls until they achieve enlightenment."
--Peter Gutmann/Matt Robinson
Old February 3rd 05, 10:10 PM
Absent Husband

snip

"Qld weather sux, by the way - false advertising all the way. "

snip

What - too sunny for you?? Too predictable for you?? Too many blue
skies?? I'm sure there is something character building about Melbourne
weather - but that doesn't mean that I'd swap it for
Qld/BrisVegas........ (But Melbourne is a nice place to visit - much
more likely to get a decent cup of coffee from a random cafe
selection...)

Cheers,
Absent Husband (who actually really likes Melb/Vic, but feels obliged
to staunchly defend his hometown...)

puncture on new bike [email protected] UK 23 October 26th 05 08:36 PM
First Pucture Dave B UK 18 September 7th 05 10:02 PM
Armadillo tyres puncture resistant? Ha! [email protected] UK 10 May 9th 05 06:20 PM
First Puncture for 2005 Parbs Australia 4 January 2nd 05 06:42 AM
Puncture resistant tyres Julian UK 16 March 13th 04 10:19 AM