Almost collided with a bicyclist today

Old July 16th 10, 06:05 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime
Mrs Irish Mike

Default Almost collided with a bicyclist today

On Jul 15, 12:20*pm, "Speeders & Drunk Drivers Are Murderers"
wrote:
I'm heading W and cyclist S. *4way stop. I stop but the cyclist just
flies thru at 25 mph and i assume he's going straight ahead. *So i
start my left turn and then he starts a left turn right into me. *No
crash but crap like that is why so many car drivers hate bikes.

A full stop is not required from a bicyclist in many states. And in
many locales the bicyclist is to be given the right of way as is any
pedestrian. Check your local laws, you may have been at fault.
Old July 16th 10, 02:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
dgk

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 20:27:33 -0500, Tad McClellan
wrote:

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.misc.]

Cully J wrote:

I totally understand about drivers talking on their phones.

I think you probably do not understand...

Luckily,

... because you say that.

It
seems that many drivers now have car-phones that enable you to talk
outloud while driving with both hands one the steering wheel.

It isn't what their hands are doing that make them dangerous,
it is what their minds are doing.

handheld AND handsfree cell phone talkers did worse than drunk drivers:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-6090342-7.html

"Driving while using a handsfree cellular device is not safer than using
a hand held cell phone":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_...ndsfree_device

"It doesn't make any difference if the phone is hands-free. It's the
listening that makes the difference, not the nature of the instrument.":
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Dye...=889064&page=1

"Even so-called hands-free devices should be banned, because studies
show they do not make it any safer to talk on the telephone while
driving":
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE50B3PF20090112

[ snip upside-down quote ]

I think I understand why it's so much more dangerous for a driver to
be on a phone than just talking to a passenger. A passenger
instinctively knows when a driver needs to concentrate on the road and
halts the conversation without even realizing that he/she is doing it.
Someone on a phone has no idea of course and just keeps talking.

I've noticed the same thing while driving, and I'm a damn good, as
well as safe, driver. If I'm on the phone I'm just too distracted to
be driving so I do avoid it. It's very cool the way my cheapo GPS
syncs with my cheapo phone though and I can talk through the GPS.
Old July 16th 10, 02:10 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime
dgk

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 20:33:26 -0700 (PDT), "His Highness the
TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock"
wrote:

On Jul 15, 11:11*pm, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the
Movement of Tantra-Hammock" wrote:
On Jul 15, 9:04*pm, Cully J wrote:

I totally understand about drivers talking on their phones. Luckily,It
seems that *many drivers now have car-phones that enable you to talk
outloud while driving with both hands one the steering wheel. How do
you feel about those?

I'm OK with it. We need the cyclist to TAKE THE LANE to be seen
better, but I don't think he should should comply with every stop sign
and light out there. They do it at their own risk though.

The other day my girlfriend missed the green arrow because this lady
just walked in her path with a stroller. It's not fair where we had to
wait a couple of minutes and she only had to wait two seconds.

Obviously we were in the car here.

The single-most safety issue for a cyclist is to wear a bright vest.

I'd enforce some laws on cyclists:

1- NO SIDEWALKS!

2- Lycra suit OR bright vest OR visible shirt,

3- Lights at night,

4- No phone.

I wouldn't enforce the helmet. Too hot for some places.

I disagree with the NO SIDEWALKS! part. Mostly, of course, you're
correct. But there is one place on my commute where it is far safer to
use the sidewalk for a block than to be in the street. First off, the
pavement is so horrible that I have to concentrate on that rather than
watching the cars. And the cars are moving quickly and changing lanes
and turning.

We had a ghost cycle there for a while because a cyclist died at one
intersection on that block. So, if traffic is light and reasonable
I'll stay in the street. Otherwise I use the sidewalk with great
consideration fo the people walking on it, and not moving much faster
than them.
Old July 16th 10, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime

On Jul 15, 9:04*pm, Cully J wrote:

[...]

This only happens because there's no proper signs indicating bikes on
the road, and because nobody cares about cyclists anyway.

It bothers me to the utmost that I have to ride the sidewalk even for
a block. Besides you pass down the ball to the pedestrians.

Once you ban cyclists on sidewalks, you give them respect and bring
out greater numbers to the road, which is what you want.
Old July 16th 10, 04:12 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime

On Jul 15, 1:30*pm, Kevan Smith wrote:
On 7/15/10 2:20 PM, Speeders & Drunk Drivers Are Murderers wrote:

I'm heading W and cyclist S. *4way stop. I stop but the cyclist just
flies thru at 25 mph and i assume he's going straight ahead. *So i
start my left turn and then he starts a left turn right into me. *No
crash but crap like that is why so many car drivers hate bikes.

No doubt the cyclist was wrong for not obeying the stop sign.

However, a couple of points:

1) If he had been going 25 mph, he likely would have cleared the
intersection while you were still stopped. Better estimate of speed --
15 mph.

Were you there?
Old July 16th 10, 04:14 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime
Speeders & Drunk Drivers Are Murderers

On Jul 15, 6:57*pm, necromancer
Zidane's_Last_Red_Card@worldofnecromancer_no_spam _no_way.org wrote:

Blood thirsty maniac. Why don't *you* watch where the **** you are
going? And what was your hurry anyway - welafre office fixing to
close?

No - the blood bank.
Old July 16th 10, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime
Kevan Smith[_2_]

On 7/16/10 10:12 AM, Speeders & Drunk Drivers Are Murderers wrote:
On Jul 15, 1:30 pm, Kevan wrote:
On 7/15/10 2:20 PM, Speeders& Drunk Drivers Are Murderers wrote:

I'm heading W and cyclist S. 4way stop. I stop but the cyclist just
flies thru at 25 mph and i assume he's going straight ahead. So i
start my left turn and then he starts a left turn right into me. No
crash but crap like that is why so many car drivers hate bikes.

No doubt the cyclist was wrong for not obeying the stop sign.

However, a couple of points:

1) If he had been going 25 mph, he likely would have cleared the
intersection while you were still stopped. Better estimate of speed --
15 mph.

Were you there?

Everywhere there's a cyclist pedaling away in traffic, surrounded by
hydrocarbon belching monstrosities, I'll be there.

Kevan

Old July 16th 10, 06:10 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime

On Jul 15, 1:30 pm, Kevan *wrote:
On 7/15/10 2:20 PM, Speeders& *Drunk Drivers Are Murderers wrote:

I'm heading W and cyclist S. *4way stop. I stop but the cyclist just
flies thru at 25 mph and i assume he's going straight ahead. *So i
start my left turn and then he starts a left turn right into me. *No
crash but crap like that is why so many car drivers hate bikes.

No doubt the cyclist was wrong for not obeying the stop sign.

However, a couple of points:

1) If he had been going 25 mph, he likely would have cleared the
intersection while you were still stopped. Better estimate of speed --
15 mph.

Were you there?

Everywhere there's a cyclist pedaling away in traffic, surrounded by
hydrocarbon belching monstrosities, I'll be there.

Kevan

Are you in the belching monsters or the bike?
Old July 16th 10, 06:48 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime
Kevan Smith[_2_]

On 7/16/10 12:10 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the
Movement of Tantra-Hammock wrote:

Are you in the belching monsters or the bike?

Often when I cycle, I'll belch, but not nearly so much as the
gasoline-powered things. I also push a monster gear.

Kevan