Seen In The Flesh...

Old August 29th 18, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Seen In The Flesh...

On 8/29/2018 10:59 AM, dave wrote:
On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 21:27:07 +0200, Tosspot wrote:

Oh also if you unfortunately get the front sandwiched between a
Mercedes Vito side panel and a Renault Clio front wing the frame is
actually entertainingly stronger than either.

ROFLMAO! I do believe I've just wet myself :-)

We need more details...

Standard right hook scenario only not a junction. Mercedes tourist
transporter decided he needed fags or something from the newsagents...

Well, we bicyclists are not without blame. We often don't realize the
intense importance of whatever the **** a driver needs to do at the very
moment. That applies to stopping for fags, finishing that phone call,
changing lanes, getting to the next red light ten seconds earlier, or
whatever.

Admit it, we're rude and self centered for wanting to use the road.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 30th 18, 10:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dave[_3_]

On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 13:47:39 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On 8/29/2018 10:59 AM, dave wrote:
On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 21:27:07 +0200, Tosspot wrote:

Oh also if you unfortunately get the front sandwiched between a
Mercedes Vito side panel and a Renault Clio front wing the frame is
actually entertainingly stronger than either.

ROFLMAO! I do believe I've just wet myself :-)

We need more details...

Standard right hook scenario only not a junction. Mercedes tourist
transporter decided he needed fags or something from the newsagents...

Well, we bicyclists are not without blame. We often don't realize the
intense importance of whatever the **** a driver needs to do at the very
moment. That applies to stopping for fags, finishing that phone call,
changing lanes, getting to the next red light ten seconds earlier, or
whatever.

Admit it, we're rude and self centered for wanting to use the road.

That does seem to be the case. I was actually taking up about an entire
metre of road width and I should have known he was going to stop by using
my psychic powers.

Unfortunately the police were also of that opinion despite the law
clearly stating otherwise. However they are not here to uphold the law
they are here to get paid and do what they're told, just like any other
government worker.

--
davethedave
Old August 31st 18, 06:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 08/29/2018 04:59 PM, dave wrote:

snip

While he was half way past me immediately turned right to park and
squashed the front part of my frame between his Merc Vito van thing and a
Renault Clio. Hyyyyyuuuuge scraped dent down the side of the Merc and the
Renault wing was folded in a good three inches at the wheel well.

So. Merc driver, exceedingly put out by my unexpected presence in the
area he was trying to enter without looking, departed the van and
proceeded to threaten me with violence. As motorists often do. After
putting up with the standard fare of him offering to procreate with my
mother etc. for a while I called the cops.

So. The cops come and look at all the damage and examine the bike. So
where did he hit you? I said that bit there with the black paint on it on
the left and the silver paint on the right was from the Renault (Who F*ed
off at the mention of cops. Cool plan dude. Cool plan.)

The cops then asked me why I wasn't on the bike path. Bike path? I asked.
Over there. (Points at pavement.) That's not a bike path and it's full of
pedestrians. Cop's not amused. Foreigners immune to his god like powers
of copdom are not usual. I asked him exactly which law says bikes have to
be on the pavement. He had no idea at all.(Probably because there isn't
one) So he starts getting a bit irate with me and threatening tickets.

So in the end, he gathers the Merc driver up and tells him off (It was a
good job he did, too.) as it is technically his fault. Gives me a choice
of him prosecuting the driver and he will write me a ticket for not
riding on the pavement or we all sign a won't sue the other dude document
and let it go there. No damage to my bike other than a ding in the side
panel and a bit of paint which buffed out nicely. Merc would definitely
have needed a new door skin. So document was signed and home I went. Bit
shaky from adrenaline and threats of death from the dude and fines from
the cops.

Not a great day overall but no one was injured or died. As they say worse
things happen at sea.

He missed a ****ing great blue bike in broad daylight!? Blind, drunk or
stupid.

Old August 31st 18, 05:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

On 08/27/2018 05:02 PM, dave wrote:

Oh also if you unfortunately get the front sandwiched between a
Mercedes Vito side panel and a Renault Clio front wing the frame is
actually entertainingly stronger than either.

ROFLMAO! I do believe I've just wet myself :-)

We need more details...

Standard right hook scenario only not a junction. Mercedes tourist
transporter decided he needed fags or something from the newsagents.

He

data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3DCz8vnKkFCy2qfMXTiIAA!2e0!7i1 3312!8i6656

goo.gl/xTr7RM

The cops then asked me why I wasn't on the bike path. Bike path? I asked.
Over there. (Points at pavement.) That's not a bike path and it's full of
pedestrians.

Got to love that turtle-like, traffic-calming device placed eight pavement
bricks in front of supposed "bike path" crossing with 16. Sk.! Or is it
really a parking space divider?

Cop's not amused. Foreigners immune to his god like powers
of copdom are not usual. I asked him exactly which law says bikes have to
be on the pavement. He had no idea at all.(Probably because there isn't
one)

I searched for the text of a Turkish Road Code regulation online, but could
not find one. Seems like bicycles are not allowed speeds beyond 30 km/h in
cities, 50 outside. Has anyone seen a link to the real thing?
Old August 31st 18, 07:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, August 30, 2018 at 10:19:01 PM UTC-7, Tosspot wrote:
[...]

That woman that accelerated into me after rolling through a stop sign said, "He came out of nowhere"! I was wearing bright red and yellow and had crossed 2/3rds of the intersection after letting cars with right-of-way proceed.
Old September 1st 18, 02:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dave[_3_]

On Fri, 31 Aug 2018 07:18:58 +0200, Tosspot wrote:

snip

Not a great day overall but no one was injured or died. As they say
worse things happen at sea.

He missed a ****ing great blue bike in broad daylight!? Blind, drunk or
stupid.

He was overtaking and didn't go all the way past. He seemed sober and
could focus on me whilst shouting so that only leaves the obvious reason.

--
davethedave
Old September 1st 18, 03:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dave[_3_]

https://www.google.com/maps/

@36.8525049,30.6171773,3a,90y,258.88h,92.9t/
data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3DCz8vnKkFCy2qfMXTiIAA!2e0!7i1 3312!8i6656

goo.gl/xTr7RM

The cops then asked me why I wasn't on the bike path. Bike path? I
asked.
Over there. (Points at pavement.) That's not a bike path and it's full
of pedestrians.

Got to love that turtle-like, traffic-calming device placed eight
pavement bricks in front of supposed "bike path" crossing with 16. Sk.!
Or is it really a parking space divider?

What the white Audi. I thought Audi drivers were a global phenomenon.

Cop's not amused. Foreigners immune to his god like powers of copdom
are not usual. I asked him exactly which law says bikes have to be on
the pavement. He had no idea at all.(Probably because there isn't one)

I searched for the text of a Turkish Road Code regulation online, but
could not find one. Seems like bicycles are not allowed speeds beyond
30 km/h in cities, 50 outside. Has anyone seen a link to the real
thing?

Regulation is mostly done by having roadblocks where the police check car
documents. These are all handily published in the paper so if your car is
not papered up properly you can avoid the cops.

Rules here.

http://www.kgm.gov.tr/sayfalar/kgm/s...tmelikler.aspx

Good luck with that. Auto translate will mangle it up badly.
--
davethedave

The Flesh Chinese Math Racing 5 February 11th 09 01:35 PM
more than just a flesh wound David Martin UK 19 March 3rd 06 07:37 PM
Just a flesh wound! Mike K Smith UK 17 March 2nd 06 11:01 PM
Raw Shiny Red Flesh Joe King Racing 2 January 20th 06 04:02 PM
speaking of red flesh Snack Racing 4 January 20th 06 02:13 AM