RR: Tsali Trails NC Smoky Mountians

Old August 4th 03, 04:33 AM
Bill Wheeler

Default RR: Tsali Trails NC Smoky Mountians

Outstanding!

I got back from a much needed vacation in the Smoky Mountains of North
Carolina, finished catching up on post vacation duties, now it's my
duty as a MTBer to post an RR about the Tsali trails.

O U T S T A N D I N G! in case you missed it the first time.

If you're into technical riding and challenging single track then
Tsali is not for you. But if you open your mind and let the single
track take control you'll be shown a whole new world.

There are just four loops in the Tsali rec area and they alternate
between Equestrian and MTB use on different days of the week. The day
I rode the "Thompson Branch" and the "Mouse Branch" loops were open
for MTBer's and hikers. The other two loops are simply named "Left
loop", "Right loop".

The trails are very well maintained and blazed tremendously well.
Riding solo on loops is usually never a problem anyway, but the well
blazed trails give the non-locals and greater since of security. Honor
system donations are due before you hit the trails, $2.00, also at the
main trail head there is a nice setup with hanging racks and hoses so
you can spray down your rig when you're finished. I've never seen
anything like that before (perhaps I live a sheltered life).

The Mouse Branch and the Thompson Loop total about 14.5 miles of
incredibly tight single track. The trails were so tight I was
actually contemplating "cutting down" my bars ;-). The Blackberry
bushes bloodied my forearms something fierce, got a few good rips on
my neck also. It's strange how you really don't feel the pain or
notice that much until you shower, ooooo that smarts!

There are lots of whoop-te-doos and some steady, long, not to steep
climbs. This sets up some perfect flowing downhills. Between the two
trails I rode I'd say there was one semi-technical climb, but don't
let that get to you. There's more to mountain biking than just tech
stuff. I completed both loops in under two hours. There's no need to
ride for time out there when there is so much to see and enjoy.
Minor stream crossings, lots of tight switchbacks. The trails take
you along a 50 to 150 foot ridge that follows part of the shoreline of
Lake Fontana. It's a good thing the trails are tight because if they
weren't I would have probably paid more attention to the lake than the
trails, that'd be asking for a world of trouble. From what I
understand there is a lot of night riding on these trails also. That
sounds just a bit better than perfect.

Did I mention the SS? What, you thought I write and RR and not
mention the SS? Are you nuts or something?

The SS seemed to be custom built for these trails. The bike is pure
joy. Two Wheels Good == Prefab Sprout ref.

If You're ever in the Smoky's Tsali is a MUST!

There is a lot of history in the Tsali area, here's a link if you're
interested!

http://ncnatural.com/NCUSFS/Nantahala/tsali.html

Peace,
Bill(Spot rear axle still good)Wheeler

The mind serves properly as a window glass rather
than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give
:-]
Old August 4th 03, 05:11 AM
Sorni

Default Tsali Trails NC Smoky Mountians

"Bill Wheeler" wrote in message
[...]

Nice.

Had To Do It Bill (Bill)

Kansas bill threatens trails; please contact legislators Brent Hugh General 1 February 28th 04 08:41 AM
denver trails / commuting downtown to tech center Tune2828 General 9 October 26th 03 01:35 PM
Multiuse trails: Left or Right side walking? kab General 4 October 12th 03 06:50 PM
Tsali Nelson Binch Mountain Biking 5 July 23rd 03 12:13 AM
Rail Trails under fire in U.S. Senate, time to write your Senator Brent Hugh General 0 July 4th 03 04:53 PM