A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Racks



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 22nd 04, 01:01 PM
Sam Salt
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Racks

What's the bees knees in rear racks these days.Tubus,Bor Yeuh,anything else
that folks can recommend.I was looking at a Tubus model ( The Logo )
http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/tubus_racks.html

on which the panniers fit on a lower bar presumably making the bike more
stable.Anyone any comments as they are quite a price ( 70 ).

Sam Salt


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.564 / Virus Database: 356 - Release Date: 19/01/2004


Ads
  #2  
Old January 22nd 04, 01:58 PM
Colin Blackburn
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Racks

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 12:01:46 +0000 (UTC), Sam Salt
wrote:

What's the bees knees in rear racks these days.Tubus,Bor Yeuh,anything
else
that folks can recommend.I was looking at a Tubus model ( The Logo )
http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/tubus_racks.html

on which the panniers fit on a lower bar presumably making the bike more
stable.Anyone any comments as they are quite a price ( 70 ).


I have a Bor Yeuh rack on my tourer which is good but it was a bugger
getting the Karrimor pannier disks on as the tube thickness was at the
upper limit. Definitely worth ckecking that your existing panniers will
fit easily.

The other advantage I can see for the Logo rack for my panniers is that it
will take the tops of the panniers below the top of the rack, that means I
can fit a rack pack more easily or stick something on the rack which
sticks out sideways (the Karrimor panniers rise above my rack and make
this difficult.)


Colin
--
  #3  
Old January 22nd 04, 02:11 PM
Dave Larrington
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Racks

Tubus are supposed to be the mutt's nuts, but unless you really need the
extra strength and capacity, then I for one am quite happy with Blackburn.
The one on my touring bike has been doing sterling service since 1984.

Avoid cheap Blackburn clones, as they are made from cheese.

--

Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
================================================== =========
Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
================================================== =========


  #4  
Old January 22nd 04, 02:19 PM
Colin Blackburn
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Racks

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:11:05 -0000, Dave Larrington
wrote:

Tubus are supposed to be the mutt's nuts, but unless you really need the
extra strength and capacity, then I for one am quite happy with
Blackburn.


Hang on, are you saying I'm weedy and can't hold my beer!

Avoid cheap Blackburn clones, as they are made from cheese.


fx: mad professor
But zis is only the start of my experiments! Hahahaha!!
rl: need a coffee

Colin
--
  #5  
Old January 22nd 04, 02:25 PM
Clive George
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Racks

Dave Larrington wrote:

Avoid cheap Blackburn clones, as they are made from cheese.


I quite like the bor yueh blackburn clones (as supplied with dawes bikes in
the mid 90s). The back ones are better than the blackburn equivalents IMO,
primarily due to having a dogleg rather than straight back strut.

cheers,
clive


  #6  
Old January 22nd 04, 02:28 PM
MSeries
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Racks

Dave Larrington wrote:
Tubus are supposed to be the mutt's nuts, but unless you really need
the extra strength and capacity, then I for one am quite happy with
Blackburn. The one on my touring bike has been doing sterling service
since 1984.

Avoid cheap Blackburn clones, as they are made from cheese.


My Backburn rack has been trouble free since 1990, took it across America,
around New Zealand and Tasmania. over 200 days/3500 miles of loaded touring
on one trip alone.

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.
http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk


  #7  
Old January 22nd 04, 02:46 PM
Chris Heys
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Racks

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:25:17 -0000, "Clive George"
wrote:

Dave Larrington wrote:

Avoid cheap Blackburn clones, as they are made from cheese.


I quite like the bor yueh blackburn clones (as supplied with dawes bikes in
the mid 90s). The back ones are better than the blackburn equivalents IMO,
primarily due to having a dogleg rather than straight back strut.

cheers,
clive


Blackburn do the EX-2 ( it think it's called) which has dog legs. I
have one. It's the dog's b*ll*cks. Bor Yueh racks IMO are nowhere near
as good as Blackburn. I've seen an alloy Bor Yueh rack with broken dog
legs - at the seam (bad weld, braze?). Blackburn have a lifetime
guarentee.

Chris
------------------------
I have no sympathy for idiots.
I have every sympathy for the innocent.
  #8  
Old January 22nd 04, 03:35 PM
Peter Clinch
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Racks

Chris Heys wrote:

Blackburn do the EX-2 ( it think it's called) which has dog legs. I
have one. It's the dog's b*ll*cks. Bor Yueh racks IMO are nowhere near
as good as Blackburn.


That would account for them being 3 times as expensive. If I was about
to cycle across Africa I'd certainly prefer to spend the extra money,
but for typical UK use a B-Y should be quite sufficient for most. And
you can have two fail before you'll have paid as much as the Blackburn...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  #9  
Old January 22nd 04, 03:58 PM
Sam Salt
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Racks

Colin Blackburn wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 12:01:46 +0000 (UTC), Sam Salt
wrote:

What's the bees knees in rear racks these days.Tubus,Bor
Yeuh,anything else
that folks can recommend.I was looking at a Tubus model ( The Logo )
http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/tubus_racks.html

on which the panniers fit on a lower bar presumably making the bike
more stable.Anyone any comments as they are quite a price ( 70 ).


I have a Bor Yeuh rack on my tourer which is good but it was a bugger
getting the Karrimor pannier disks on as the tube thickness was at the
upper limit. Definitely worth ckecking that your existing panniers
will fit easily.

The other advantage I can see for the Logo rack for my panniers is
that it will take the tops of the panniers below the top of the rack,
that means I can fit a rack pack more easily or stick something on
the rack which sticks out sideways (the Karrimor panniers rise above
my rack and make this difficult.)


Colin


Yes I was also thinking that about the pannier tops being lower on the Tubus
Logo making a rack top bag easier to attach.I have some Ortliebs and was
wondering if dropping them down the rack as the Logo does would mean the
bottom fixing point was too low for the rack.Still I presume these things
have been thought of.

Sam Salt


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.564 / Virus Database: 356 - Release Date: 19/01/2004


  #10  
Old January 22nd 04, 05:18 PM
Chris Heys
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Racks

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:35:23 +0000, Peter Clinch
wrote:

Chris Heys wrote:

Blackburn do the EX-2 ( it think it's called) which has dog legs. I
have one. It's the dog's b*ll*cks. Bor Yueh racks IMO are nowhere near
as good as Blackburn.


That would account for them being 3 times as expensive. If I was about
to cycle across Africa I'd certainly prefer to spend the extra money,
but for typical UK use a B-Y should be quite sufficient for most. And
you can have two fail before you'll have paid as much as the Blackburn...

Pete.


Agreed, you'd probably be fine with a B-Y for medium weight UK use.
I've also found Blackburn to be very solid. Plus the'yre not too
expensive - I paid 22 for mine, admittedly in Edinburgh Bike
Collective's Jan sale though.

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rear hitch bike rack curt General 12 March 18th 04 10:55 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.