About Trek liquids

Old August 18th 04, 06:37 PM
ireman_1

QUOTE=Dan Volker

snip...umm, ok
I have several friends who are SEALS, and a good friend who was well

beyond
SEAL status, in all realms of combat.

Dan Volker

You may want to check-out some sites before you bank on your friends:

'http://sec-global.com/services/ctp/vsg/list.html'
(http://http://sec-global.com/services/ctp/vsg/list.html)

http://tinyurl.com/4lmnz

I'm not sticking up for JD, believe that (he wouldn't want that
anyway!), but come on; you know people? Wasn't that on an episode of
"The Sopranos"? Having been moderately educated myself (B.A., M.S.
almost completed-someday) and having had some college paid for thanks
to football I've learned (not only how to use spell-check) you can only
go so far on your friends' accomplishments without accomplishments of
your own unless one is a parasite (or a liar, or...).

K "I know a couple of millionaires, want to party?".

--
ireman_1

Old August 18th 04, 06:51 PM
Dan Volker

"ireman_1" wrote in message

[...]

And if you read what I wrote, you'd know I was just comparing actual
military bad asses I know, to what JD has so far shown himself to be.
That in no way has me "trading" on the SEAL card, for myself.
The friends I referred to are in fact what they say they are.

Dan V

Old August 18th 04, 06:55 PM
Dan Volker

"Corvus Corvax" wrote in message

Dan Volker wrote:

Each major sport creates its own dynamics...

Indeed:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Central/0...rado.football/

Don't even get me started about the cesspool of bigtime college
football.

CC

Big money and lots of TV time can screw any sport up.
But then, big money and too much fame has screwed up the heads of plenty of
non-athletes as well.

Dan

Old August 18th 04, 06:56 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-08-18, Dan Volker penned:

They are not "my" norms. They belong to American culture. You can ridicule
them for the obvious stupidities, but they are still governing for more like
98% of the population, compared to cycling's less than 2% ( just pulled the
numbers out of thin air, but I imagine they are not far off).

I think I've figured it out. You must have grown up on the set of one of
those cookie-cutter high school "my life sucks" movies. Your description of
"reality" looks much more like parody from my end. Was it Heathers, perhaps?

Actually I was talking about the larger team sports, and Football was just
the poster child for the discussion. Working class America will watch
football or baseball and glorify the athletes--these same working class
Americans will look at us on our bikes and have something for us, closer to
contempt. Again, this is the population at large, and not my attitude or
behavior.

Working class America also watches figure skating and gymnastics. Go
figure. There aren't enough people in the rest of America to justify the air
time.

Something occurs to me, though. Your description of "reality"
demonstrates a conspicuous lack of female representation. You talk
about guys learning social and business interactions by playing sports
-- now, where do you suppose women learn to interact? You talk about
all sorts of social scenarios, and yet never do women show up, except as
prizes to be earned. Your theories are all based on a subset of the
population. Give that some consideration.

As it relates to JD, if he could not play a major sport well enough to
letter in Highschool or college, it would explain alot about his
disfunctional personality here. Like I said, he looks more like a "Big Dog"
from the chess club :-) If he is careful about the groups he interacts in,
maybe he can keep talking the way he does here.

Right. Cuz everyone who didn't letter in a "major" sport turns into a
misanthrope. Like my husband the swimmer. Or me and my martial arts.

Your theories are ridiculous. Most people don't letter in team sports,
so suggesting that those people are all somehow disfunctional is
laughable. There just isn't enough room. I don't know about you, but
my graduating class was 650 people strong. You had to be a freakin'
prodigy to get onto the football team, the track team, to even get a bit
part in the school play ...

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain
Old August 18th 04, 06:58 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-08-18, ireman_1 penned:

(http://http://sec-global.com/services/ctp/vsg/list.html)

Hey, that's an interesting site. I guess it's true -- you really *can* find
everything on the internet!

Old August 18th 04, 07:05 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-08-18, JD penned:
"Dan Volker" wrote in message

If you did not grow up in the Buffalo area, maybe you should ask some local
kids what they think about what sports they would most like to star at. If
they are a gifted athlete, it will most likely be one of the major team
sports.

Buffalo is a flyspeck. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you need
to get out more often. If you think mainstream sports (which are quite lame
and full of crybaby multi-millionaires) are where the only "gifted athletes"
can be found, you need milti-millions of dollars to buy yourself a clue.
Now go watch more tv.

Wait, wait! This triggered something in my memory. Specifically, an Ani
DiFranco concert (she's from Buffalo, Dan, though I doubt she's your type)
where she said that, now that Buffalo has ice hockey, "there's so much hockey
it's just not safe to go out anymore!" I have the bootleg somewhere and can
probably dig up the soundbite.

Anyhoo, Dan, have you been back to Buffalo lately? Maybe ice hockey is
the new pink.

Old August 18th 04, 07:07 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-08-18, JD penned:
"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
.. .
Jeesh. I can't believe that you've gotten my back up enough that I'm
practically defending JD.

I don't need to be "defended". However if you wish to keep laughing at
Vo2lker and pointing out his idiocy, have at it. The more, the merrier.

No worries, I'm not defending. Not laughing, either. Just shaking my
head in disbelief.

Old August 18th 04, 09:00 PM
Craig Brossman

Corvus Corvax wrote:

Dan Volker wrote:

Each major sport creates its own dynamics...

Indeed:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Central/0...rado.football/

Don't even get me started about the cesspool of bigtime college
football.

CC

Somehow I feel like we should transition into a scene from Animal House.
How does that go? http://www.whysanity.net/monos/ahouse3.html

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
remove "mydebt" to reply
Old August 18th 04, 09:04 PM
bomba

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 09:07:22 -0700, JD wrote:

"cc" wrote in message ...
See previous post. Bikes were attached properly. Problem=design flaw.

Yeah, blame it on a "design flaw". You're funny.

I assume that by posting the same message twice you were trolling for a
response. Here you go.

Your assumption is just that, an assumption. Google was not
cooperating with my PC very well yesterday.

Design flaw?

Old August 18th 04, 09:31 PM
Marty

"Dan Volker" wrote in message

As to the military angle, if he talked like this in bars with Navy,

Marines
or Army guys, its pretty likely he'd have gotten his ass kicked regularly,
and at the very least, he would have been ( would still be) visiting the
brig on a regular basis. More likely, if he does hang out with other
military types, he talks differently than he does on AMB.

I don't think you have a clue how people of certain backgrounds and
capabilities interact.
If you did you would understand that there is a camaraderie within certain
groups
(especially Special Opns). It's rough; it's loud; and it's sometimes
physical.

I would argue that it's your SEAL friends who act differently around YOU.

Marty