New invention. Hole less rim

Old August 17th 05, 12:23 PM
onebyone

Default New invention. Hole less rim

A guy on the New Inventors tonight (Aussie TV show) had a bike rim
(adaptable to unicycles) that didn't have spoke holes. Instead he had a
cross section inside the rim. The spokes went through an adapter which
then slid in the groove. Between the spoke adapter he had spacers which
also slid in the groove, so you could change the number of spokes and
the spoke pattern.

He said it was heaps stronger than a normal rim due to no holes.

It suited tubeless rims as the only hole was the valve hole.

Sorry about my poor explanation and lack of drawings, but until then, I
was half paying attention to the TV, it was really exciting.

--
onebyone

Bill Blogs is an alien!
www.municycle.com.au
onebyone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10014

Old August 17th 05, 12:38 PM
andrew_carter

http://www.abc.net.au/newinventors/txt/s1436418.htm

--
andrew_carter - Learning to unicycle...

*http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/andrew*
unicycling tips and tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com
*'my big movies' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/bigmovies)*
___________
WE WORK ON A CONTINGENCY BASIS*?*
NO*,* MONEY DOWN*!*

Old August 17th 05, 02:58 PM
ur

I just watched this tonight on ABC...

The website says that the rims take upto 220kg loads, does anybody know
the loads for trials rims or any other rims for that matter? This could
be the way to stop that 26/29" rim from taco-ing... and yet... I am
wondering whether this rim would actually make much difference in the
side movement commonly experienced in trials unicycling, or even the
twisting in street and freestyle. Do any experienced engineers out their
have an idea, whether the fact that the rim no longer has holes in it
would greatly increase the horizontal stability of the rim, and on a
whole, the actual wheel itself???

It's almost 12:00pm, so this probably makes no sense... goodnight!

--
ur - Unicycling Revolution

Unicycling Revolution - JOIN THE REVOLUTION TODAY!
ur's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4199

Old August 17th 05, 03:08 PM
ur

I also posted a link from the New Inventors website directly to this
thread so that others can see what we were talking about and perhaps the
inventor himself will come and talk to this niche in the b*cycle
industry (if that is what we are a part of).

Old August 17th 05, 03:18 PM
Ian Smith

On Wed, 17 Aug, ur wrote:

I just watched this tonight on ABC...

The website says that the rims take upto 220kg loads, does anybody know
the loads for trials rims or any other rims for that matter?

A well-built conventional touring-bike wheel will carry lots more than
that, so IF this is supposed to be stronger than a 'normal' rim, that
is presumably supposed to be some sort of measure of the strength of
an unlaced rim.

If so, it's pretty much irrelevant - because that's not how wheels
work. The combined action of rim and spoke and hub is what matters,
not how one bit behaves on its own. It's also impossible to compare
with other rims unless they actually define what they mean by "take up
to 220kg loads".

Regarding side loads, I'd guess it won't make all that much
difference, because when you're bending something it's the material at
teh extremes that contributes most of teh strength. For bending up
and down, avoiding teh spoke holes MIGHT have a significant effect,
because the holes are at the extreme (top) of the section. Bending
sideways, teh holes are half-way across teh section, and material
there will not be nearly as effective, so taking it out or putting it
back will be not nearly as significant.

But I haven't seen teh section, just the description posted here.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old August 17th 05, 03:41 PM
tholub

It seems very unlikely that this modification makes a significant
difference to the strength of the wheel. The strength of a wheel comes
from the spoke tension, not the rim material; the strength of the rim
material matters only insofar as it's required to support a high level
of spoke tension. From the looks of it, this system would not be able
to support as high a level of spoke tension as a good rim (those inserts
look like they'd want to pull out).

--
tholub - Kinetic Sculptor

Old August 17th 05, 04:09 PM
joemarshall

It says 220kg spoke load. Maybe they mean the spoke tension in Kgf,
which is what spoke tension meters measure. I'm not sure what that
means and how that relates to the weight a wheel can take, but that's
well above the amount normal wheels are built to, which is only up to
150 or so according to Mr Park Tools.

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/album483

Old August 17th 05, 04:09 PM
U-Turn

It is an interesting idea because of the ability to have different
numbers of spokes.

It won't make the rim lighter, because it has a continuous spoke-rim
interface, rather than selectively placed ones.

It also won't support higher tension, one of the primary aspects of
wheel strength. The limiting factor in spoke tension, for the better
rims, is not hole strength, but brace angle and the rim's torsional
stiffness. These attributes are unaffected by the new idea.

Additionally, it appears to make replacing a nipple/spoke impossible
without rebuilding the entire wheel. This is a no-go item in my mind.

It multiplies the number of parts required to build a wheel.

The only real advantage I see is that it allows the nipple to pivot to
follow the spoke line, but this is not much of an advantage for larger
wheels, especially 3x.

Oh, and it provides lots of advertising space!

Overall -- two thumbs down.

--
U-Turn - Cool water for the flame

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
-- Dave Stockton

Old August 17th 05, 04:11 PM
johnfoss

According to a brief read of the web site linked above, the purpose of
this design is to prevent air leaking through the spoke holes when using
tubeless tires. The benefits for "regular" tires may not be as apparent.

--
johnfoss - More Moab Fun

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

how many gears? Ken Marcet Techniques 55 April 5th 05 02:32 PM
F.S. MORE MAVIC RIMS *NEW* $20.00 Biged \(remove nospam to reply\) Marketplace 0 September 8th 04 02:29 PM
F.S. MORE MAVIC RIMS *NEW* $20.00 Biged \(remove nospam to reply\) Marketplace 0 September 1st 04 07:25 PM
F.S. MORE MAVIC RIMS *NEW* $20.00 Biged \(remove nospam to reply\) Marketplace 0 September 1st 04 04:12 PM
Wheel Rebuilding TheObieOne3226 Unicycling 16 January 1st 04 10:55 AM