Look cleats that you can walk in??

Old January 8th 05, 03:20 AM
Absent Husband

Default Look cleats that you can walk in??

Hi all,

I have been taking the kids on bike rides lately (what a good Dad I
am!!) around the bike paths of Brisbane.

Only minor prob for me is, both my (road) bikes have Look pedals (and
shoes obviously use Look-compat cleats)...

So - the question is - can you buy bike shoes that are Look compatible
that have the cleat 'integrated' into the sole (so you can safely walk
around in them (or at least walk around a little bit without constantly
falling over and looking like more of a duffus than normal).

Or do I have to change to a totally new pedal/cleat combo (am very $$$
sensitive, so am hoping not too...)
Any ideas out there???

Cheers all,
Absent Husband

Old January 8th 05, 05:34 AM
hippy

"Absent Husband" wrote in message
So - the question is - can you buy bike shoes that are Look compatible
that have the cleat 'integrated' into the sole (so you can safely walk
around in them (or at least walk around a little bit without constantly
falling over and looking like more of a duffus than normal).

There are covers available for LOOK cleats.

KOOL Covers:
http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/prod...&cat=51&page=1
OR
http://tinyurl.com/6c2tw

hippy

Old January 8th 05, 09:32 AM
NickZX6R

hippy wrote:
"Absent Husband" wrote in message

So - the question is - can you buy bike shoes that are Look compatible
that have the cleat 'integrated' into the sole (so you can safely walk
around in them (or at least walk around a little bit without constantly
falling over and looking like more of a duffus than normal).

There are covers available for LOOK cleats.

KOOL Covers:
http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/prod...&cat=51&page=1
OR
http://tinyurl.com/6c2tw

hippy

That's about the only solution I reckon.

If you could get Look shoes with an 'integrated' cleat, the shoes would
be way too wide I think. And that would add weight, and any
self-respecting roadie wouldn't be interested at all

--
Nick
Old January 8th 05, 01:37 PM
Steve

LOOK unsuccessfully marketed an offroad pedal & shoe years back which used
a cutaway LOOK cleat that only fitted their mtb shoe. Aluminium cleats
followed a few years later from the States but they've disapeared, another
US? company called Winwood made some cleats which didn't seem to wear that
quick, but they disappeared too!

Nowadays your choice is limited to cleat covers or maybe some of those new
carbon-fibre LOOK cleats made by Exustar.

Steve
@ Ideal

Old January 9th 05, 02:54 AM
NickZX6R

Steve wrote:
LOOK unsuccessfully marketed an offroad pedal & shoe years back which used
a cutaway LOOK cleat that only fitted their mtb shoe. Aluminium cleats
followed a few years later from the States but they've disapeared, another
US? company called Winwood made some cleats which didn't seem to wear that
quick, but they disappeared too!

Nowadays your choice is limited to cleat covers or maybe some of those new
carbon-fibre LOOK cleats made by Exustar.

Steve
@ Ideal

It surprises me that Look pedals don't use a metal cleat.

Could it be just to fuel demand for replacement cleats that wear out
very often or is that just cynical?

--
Nick

Old January 9th 05, 03:48 AM
hippy

"NickZX6R" wrote in message
It surprises me that Look pedals don't use a metal cleat.

Could it be just to fuel demand for replacement cleats that wear out very
often or is that just cynical?

I thought the same thing going from metal to plastic
cleats. Perhaps it's better to wear out the plastic
cleats rather than the pedals? Maybe it's a weight
issue? Time pedals still use metal cleats don't they?

hippy

Old January 9th 05, 04:21 AM
Resound

hippy Wrote:
"NickZX6R" wrote in message
It surprises me that Look pedals don't use a metal cleat.

Could it be just to fuel demand for replacement cleats that wear ou

very
often or is that just cynical?

I thought the same thing going from metal to plastic
cleats. Perhaps it's better to wear out the plastic
cleats rather than the pedals? Maybe it's a weight
issue? Time pedals still use metal cleats don't they?

hippy

You could get someone to machine a set out of brass or something
They'd be sronger and wear better than the plastic, but still be softe
than the pedal

--
Resound

Old January 9th 05, 07:04 AM
Absent Husband

--snip--

Thanks all - the cleat covers sound like the best (and most
cost-effective) solution. Assuming they are easy to source, I'll hit up
my LBS for a pair and see how they go......

** sound of brain whirring** - I wonder if there would be a market out
there for a "flat" (bmx??) pedal with a Look cleat attached underneath,
so you could ride your bike around wearing thongs/sandshoes/whatever
(**delicately stepping around appropriate cycling footwear
debate...**), and then easily remove it and use your normal cycling
shoes for when you wake up early and dress up in lycra.....??
Absent Husband

Old January 9th 05, 08:02 AM
hippy

"Absent Husband" wrote in message
Thanks all - the cleat covers sound like the best (and most
cost-effective) solution. Assuming they are easy to source, I'll hit up
my LBS for a pair and see how they go......

** sound of brain whirring** - I wonder if there would be a market out
there for a "flat" (bmx??) pedal with a Look cleat attached underneath,
so you could ride your bike around wearing thongs/sandshoes/whatever
(**delicately stepping around appropriate cycling footwear
debate...**), and then easily remove it and use your normal cycling
shoes for when you wake up early and dress up in lycra.....??

Why not just use mountain bike shoes?
ie. SPDs (yeah, here I go again!)

The shoes are easy to walk in and you can clip in
just like the LOOKs. They make a pedal with an
SPD side/flat side (like what you mention above)
and you can get all kinds of shoes for them, from
roadie style to funky 'skate' shoes - all with SPD
cleats.
For just riding around with the kids, there can't
be a better alternative ('cept maybe pure flat pedals)?

hippy

Old January 9th 05, 01:08 PM
Steve

my LBS for a pair and see how they go......

** sound of brain whirring** - I wonder if there would be a market out
there for a "flat" (bmx??) pedal with a Look cleat attached underneath,
so you could ride your bike around wearing thongs/sandshoes/whatever
(**delicately stepping around appropriate cycling footwear
debate...**), and then easily remove it and use your normal cycling
shoes for when you wake up early and dress up in lycra.....??

Why not just use mountain bike shoes?
ie. SPDs (yeah, here I go again!)

The Taiwanese have developed a double-sided pedal with LOOK one side & SPD
the other but I don't think a wholesaler here would be brave enough to
import it , I wouldn't think sales would be outstanding:
http://www.exustar.com.tw/image/pedal/pr77.jpg

Steve
idealcycles.com

Position of LOOK cleats Cwazee Yeti Techniques 3 July 21st 05 02:01 AM
Walk or ride? Bill Baka General 28 December 17th 04 05:11 AM
compatibility of Shimano pedals & cleats davek UK 4 July 20th 04 02:33 PM
How to walk safely in clipless road shoes Mike Jacoubowsky Techniques 15 August 13th 03 01:34 PM