he fired a handgun at a bicyclist

Old July 30th 09, 04:05 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

Default he fired a handgun at a bicyclist

On Jul 29, 8:53*pm, Peter Cole wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
The easiest way to avoid getting hit by a car (whether on a bike, on
foot, or in another car) is to simply not be an asshat.

Keep riding noob, you'll learn.

I can honestly say that I have never had a motor vehicle deliberately
try to cause me harm on a cycle. (now I HAVE been deliberately run
off the road a few times by impatient motorists while in a car; I
guess they figure that if they don't kill me it's OK to trade paint.)

The odds of running into a truly homicidal motorist IME are so slim
that it's not worth losing any sleep over it. If I thought
differently, I wouldn't be riding.

nate
Old July 31st 09, 01:20 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Nate Nagel wrote:
The easiest way to avoid getting hit by a car (whether on a bike, on
foot, or in another car) is to simply not be an asshat.

Keep riding noob, you'll learn.

I can honestly say that I have never had a motor vehicle deliberately
try to cause me harm on a cycle. (now I HAVE been deliberately run
off the road a few times by impatient motorists while in a car; I
guess they figure that if they don't kill me it's OK to trade paint.)

"Trade paint" -- what a charming understatement.

The odds of running into a truly homicidal motorist IME are so slim
that it's not worth losing any sleep over it. If I thought
differently, I wouldn't be riding.

Yes, I'm sure "road rage" is a pure fabrication.

The first step to fixing a problem is admitting there is a problem. Your
attitudes towards cars belong in the Eisenhower administration.
Old July 31st 09, 04:19 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

Nate Nagel wrote:
The easiest way to avoid getting hit by a car (whether on a bike, on
foot, or in another car) is to simply not be an asshat.
Keep riding noob, you'll learn.

I can honestly say that I have never had a motor vehicle deliberately
try to cause me harm on a cycle. *(now I HAVE been deliberately run
off the road a few times by impatient motorists while in a car; I
guess they figure that if they don't kill me it's OK to trade paint.)

"Trade paint" -- what a charming understatement.

The odds of running into a truly homicidal motorist IME are so slim
that it's not worth losing any sleep over it. *If I thought
differently, I wouldn't be riding.

Yes, I'm sure "road rage" is a pure fabrication.

"woad wage" in general is a BS term used to describe motorists
becoming rightfully angry when someone does something stupid. Most
recent "studies" I've read on the phenomenon count such activities as
yelling at another motorist, honking the horn, or gesturing to be a
sign of "woad wage." What the heck are you supposed to do when
someone does something boneheaded in front of you? Of course I'm
going to honk if someone cuts me off - not out of rage but simply
because that needs to be communicated. Maybe the other driver was
just inattentive or unobservant and needs a reminder to be more
observant in the future.

The first step to fixing a problem is admitting there is a problem. Your
attitudes towards cars belong in the Eisenhower administration.

The problem is on BOTH sides, not just with motorists.

Oh, I forgot, cyclists are perfect, they could never do anything
stupid.

nate

Old July 31st 09, 05:09 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

N8N wrote:
On Jul 31, 8:20 am, Peter Cole wrote:

Yes, I'm sure "road rage" is a pure fabrication.

"woad wage" in general is a BS term used to describe motorists
becoming rightfully angry when someone does something stupid. Most
recent "studies" I've read on the phenomenon count such activities as
yelling at another motorist, honking the horn, or gesturing to be a
sign of "woad wage." What the heck are you supposed to do when
someone does something boneheaded in front of you? Of course I'm
going to honk if someone cuts me off - not out of rage but simply
because that needs to be communicated. Maybe the other driver was
just inattentive or unobservant and needs a reminder to be more
observant in the future.

OK, short answer is you do believe it's pure fabrication. I'm not surprised.

The first step to fixing a problem is admitting there is a problem. Your
attitudes towards cars belong in the Eisenhower administration.

The problem is on BOTH sides, not just with motorists.

Oh, I forgot, cyclists are perfect, they could never do anything
stupid.

People are people, the same people you are so infuriated with when
walking and cycling are generally also drivers. Stupid behavior has much
more serious consequences when piloting tons of vehicle at high speed,
that's why drivers are held to higher standards. The standards aren't
high enough, particularly when much more vulnerable people are in the
road. This isn't rocket science.
Old July 31st 09, 05:30 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Jul 31, 12:09*pm, Peter Cole wrote:
N8N wrote:
[...]

No, it's not. People need to learn that stupidity has consequences,
and in a bike/vehicle collision fault should be assigned where it is
appropriate - e.g. who did something stupid. NOT automatically on the
driver. Why some readers of this NG have a problem with this, I don't
understand.

nate
Old July 31st 09, 08:33 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

N8N wrote:
On Jul 31, 12:09 pm, Peter Cole wrote:

People are people, the same people you are so infuriated with when
walking and cycling are generally also drivers. Stupid behavior has much
more serious consequences when piloting tons of vehicle at high speed,
that's why drivers are held to higher standards. The standards aren't
high enough, particularly when much more vulnerable people are in the
road. This isn't rocket science.

No, it's not. People need to learn that stupidity has consequences,
and in a bike/vehicle collision fault should be assigned where it is
appropriate - e.g. who did something stupid.

As far as I know, it does. The punishment should also fit the crime,
which is why "jaywalking" typically has only a nominal fine, rarely
levied. Cycling is pretty much the same thing.

NOT automatically on the
driver. Why some readers of this NG have a problem with this, I don't
understand.

Because you're making it up?