those darned NYC cyclists again

Old October 20th 18, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default those darned NYC cyclists again

On Saturday, October 20, 2018 at 9:11:43 PM UTC+1, wrote to Jeff Lieberman:

I do like the electrochromic paint though I would make it digital hands. This also allows you to connect with the readout via your smartphone for any number of things such as your heart rate and even brain wave pattern via the wrist nerve endings.

What I'd really like is a wris****ch that can tell my blood pressure in real time rather than merely intermittently. It would be great if it could have enough juice to run for 18 hours which is about my longest day these days.

Andre Jute
Technofreak
Old October 20th 18, 09:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, October 20, 2018 at 1:34:32 PM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
On Saturday, October 20, 2018 at 9:11:43 PM UTC+1, wrote to Jeff Lieberman:

I do like the electrochromic paint though I would make it digital hands. This also allows you to connect with the readout via your smartphone for any number of things such as your heart rate and even brain wave pattern via the wrist nerve endings.

What I'd really like is a wris****ch that can tell my blood pressure in real time rather than merely intermittently. It would be great if it could have enough juice to run for 18 hours which is about my longest day these days.

Andre Jute
Technofreak

Running on body heat would give you sort of unlimited run time.
Old October 20th 18, 10:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 13:34:30 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

On Saturday, October 20, 2018 at 9:11:43 PM UTC+1, wrote to Jeff Lieberman:

I do like the electrochromic paint though I would make it digital hands.
This also allows you to connect with the readout via your smartphone for
any number of things such as your heart rate and even brain wave pattern
via the wrist nerve endings.

Well, here's you chance to win up to $10 million:
http://www.tricorderproject.org
https://tricorder.xprize.org/prizes/tricorder
All the suggested tests can easily be performed while not moving. A
few have problems while moving. At this time, cramming it all into a
small enough package seems to be the major challenge.

I haven't worked out the details of using electrochromic paint on the
body yet. I suppose we'll see it first in the tattoo and body
painting sector as the first animated tattoo. The clock will follow
shortly.

The limiting factor on a stick on or paint on watch is the number of
wires between the display and the controller. With analog, it can be
done with as few as 13 wires as one per hour plus common ground (if I
discard the second hand). With a 7 segment display, the minimum is:
4 digits * 7 segments + common_ground + 2 for_AM/PM = 31 wires
Dot matrix requires even more wires.

Connection to a smartphone will likely be using BTLE (Blue Goof Low
Energy) because it's becoming quite common, uses little power, and is
cheap.

Powering such a device is a big problem. Initial models will probably
use a LiPo battery, but if the power drain is low enough, energy
harvesting devices might be sufficient.

What I'd really like is a wris****ch that can tell my blood pressure in real
time rather than merely intermittently. It would be great if it could have
enough juice to run for 18 hours which is about my longest day these days.

"A real blood-pressure smar****ch is coming from Omron this year"
https://www.cnet.com/news/omron-heartguide-blood-pressure-smar****ch-ces/
That was Jan 2018 and I haven't seen anything yet. My cardiologist
has a patient that is allegedly testing the device, but he didn't want
to give me his name or contact info. Basically, it's smaller version
of the common wrist BP meter. Hopefully, it will work better than the
common wrist BP meter, which I've found to be rather inaccurate.

Here's one that is intended to be worn 24x7.
https://thehear****ch.com
It talks to a smartphone via Bluetooth. Looks like they cut some
corners on the charge controller and BMS (battery management system).
From the FAQ:
How Long Does a Single Charge Last
A single charge will last about 4 to 5 days and takes
approximately 1 hour to fully charge. You should not
charge your Heart Watch for more than 90 minutes to
protect the battery life.

I believe measuring blood flow would be more accurate than a wrist
cuff pressure meter (but I'm not sure because I haven't tried it):
How does the Heart Watch Work?
The Heart Watch has two ultra-sensitive sensors on the back
of the watch that track the blood flow through your wrist as
well as the pulse. This allows the watch to determine with
a high degree of accuracy your heart beat rate as well as
your estimated blood pressure.

I'm not at the point (yet) where I need 24x7 monitoring. Talking to
my cardiologist, he's more interested in the EKG record before and
after I experience a "cardiac event" than in my BP history. So, I'm
looking at one of these EKG sensors and softwa
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Kardia-Mobile-EKG-ECG-Apple-Android-Omron-Blood-Pressure-Heart-Rate-Health/173512133476
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FDA-Portable-Color-ECG-EKG-Machine-PM10-Heart-Beat-Monitor-USB-Bluetooth-LCD-US/282316807686
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HEAL-FORCE-PRINCE-180B-Handheld-ECG-EKG-Portable-Heart-Monitor-Software-USB-LCD/173108478889
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Handheld-ECG-EKG-Monitor-Recorder-ChoiceMMed-100B-Unit-w-o-extras/283079597292
(etc...). I've bought two of the 100B models (bottom URL). I lost
one on a long exercise walk. The other was confiscated by a former
lady friend when she developed heart problems. I'm looking for
something better. For about two years, I had an arrhythmia (erratic
heart beat) problem, which would drive the pulse counters insane. If
you have the same problem, you'll need to check if your pulse counter
works. None of the low end pulse oximeters worked. The higher end
units were smarter and simply extended the sampling time, averaged
over a longer interval, threw away any insane numbers, and produced a
usable number within programmable variation limits (usually 10%).

Andre Jute
Technofreak

Real technofreaks disassemble their toys to see what's inside and how
they work BEFORE using them.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old October 21st 18, 02:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, October 20, 2018 at 10:59:47 PM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

From the FAQ:
[...]

Nah, my sort of technofreak is more interested in the attitude of the appliance; if it still gives a good reading after being abused, it has the right attitude.

I have the normal upper arm cuff-type monitor, and the very large wrist type too, both bought in the east model my doctor uses because that makes calibration so much easier.

The Hear****ch is is useless for realtime blood pressure monitoring: it is an intermittent measurer at best, because you have to press the button to measure blood pressure. I hope the Omron will be better in being able to take an automatic measurement at very short intervals like one minute -- but from the photo at your link I'm not hopeful: there isn't space for much of a battery.

Andre Jute
Traveling in hope
Old October 21st 18, 11:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 10/20/18 9:52 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 11:22:22 +0200, Tosspot
wrote:

Pretty much all approved chronograph mechanical watches are hand
finished. It's what defines them from the 100USD Citizen on my wrist
which has a short term accuracy of a few hundred milliseconds a day, and
a long term accuracy, of, well, errmmm, the same :-) Well, tbf, it's
around a second in a million years, but an upgrade is in the offing.

You're not thinking like an engineer. What you want is something
totally unique. I suggest that you paint the hands of the watch on
your wrist with electrochromic paint. To activate the hands, run a
flat ribbon flex PCB under your wrist and up your arm to where the
electronics are hidden. It's not quite an implant but at a minimum,
building one should get your photo in some of the industrial design
magazines.

Drivel: A while ago, I watched the movie Dr Strange, which seems to
have several rather blatant plugs for the benefit of the wris****ch
industry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kf6xa2mkBk
Does anyone on the planet really own a drawer full of luxury watches?
Later in the movie, Dr Strange is consumed his entire fortune and
appears somewhere in Nepal. He is accosted by a local street mugger,
who attempts to steal his wris****ch. Dr Strange then says something
like, "No, not the watch. It's all I have left". The implication is
that a wrist watch is very important to him. That should be
sufficient to inspire a generation of teenagers to collect wrist
watches.

If not, Pink Floyd will :-)

Old October 21st 18, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, October 19, 2018 at 1:24:32 PM UTC+1, news18 wrote:
On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 17:00:53 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://nypost.com/2018/10/18/man-sa...ks-swiped-95k-

watch-off-his-wrist/

Funny story if it's someone else's watch.

A) A fool and their "money" is soon parted.

I've never bought a watch that isn't now worth more than I paid for it.

BTW could you at least try to offer your generic sneers in decent grammar, "news18": "A fool and his money", not "a fool and their money", eh? See, "a" and "his" are both singular, whereas "a" and "their" fight each other, so that people reading your sneer are counterproductively distracted by your illiteracy and pay less attention than you wish to your spite.

B) I hope he has the purchase receipt when he makes the insurance claim.

I lost a watch once. The insurance company already had the details of the receipt, noted when it agreed the insured value. They paid in full without a murmur. I bought exactly the same watch again, and still wear it on the very rare occasions I wear a watch.

Andre Jute
Oh for the days when even Pommie wreckers were literate
Old October 21st 18, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

On Sun, 21 Oct 2018 09:25:15 -0700 (PDT),
Andre Jute wrote:
On Friday, October 19, 2018 at 1:24:32 PM UTC+1, news18 wrote:
On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 17:00:53 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://nypost.com/2018/10/18/man-sa...ks-swiped-95k-

watch-off-his-wrist/

Funny story if it's someone else's watch.

A) A fool and their "money" is soon parted.

I've never bought a watch that isn't now worth more than I paid
for it.

I had an old Illinois pocket watch that came to me from my father.
It had come to himn from his father, and to him from *his* father.
So it started with my great grandfather some 100 years ago.

Although I didn't pay anything for it, I probably spent several
hundreds of dollars over the years getting it (and keeping it)
running. I haven't checked in detail, but my sense is it isn't
worth a whole lot (in dollars) because there were quite a few of
them made. On the other hand, it has a good deal of sentimental
value.

In any case (heh, it has two), it is now belongs to my oldest son,
and it's up to him whether or not to invest anything more in it.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old October 21st 18, 06:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

I've never bought a watch that isn't now worth
more than I paid for it.

Impressive. The only claim I can make is that I've never bought a
watch. They were always gifts, hand me downs from relatives,
inherited, part of a promotion, or obtained in a barter transaction.
Except for the really nice watches, which were promptly hidden away
safely in a safe deposit box, I usually destroyed my wrist watches
after a few years, thus dramatically reducing their resale value.

One oddity was in about 1972, I worked for a company that was in the
hybrid electronics business. A hybrid is an alumina substrate with
resistors screen onto it, other components glued to it, and wire
bonded together to do something useful. At the time, the first
consumer LED watches (Hamilton Pulsar P1), were beginning to be sold.
The company high command saw an opportunity and went into producing
hybrid wrist watches. I still have one, which unfortunately doesn't
work:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/Alpha%20LED%20watch.jpg
Tiny 0.3" high display and would kill two LR44 batteries in about five
days. Not exactly top quality, but typical for the day.

Drivel: At the time, the LED watch business was divided into three
parts. The module makers, the housing makers, and the marketing
organizations. None of the module makers had sheet metal production
capabilities. None of the metal housing makers knew anything about
electronics. I forgot who made the bands. So, the various brand name
marketing organizations found themselves both conglomerating the
modules and housings, attaching a company name to the watch, and
selling them in a wide variety of ways. It was a strange time where
highly unlikely companies plunged into what was a very lucrative
market, for a while at least.

In any business, there's always a market for vintage, retro, clone,
reproductions. The LED watch business is far from dead today:
https://poshmark.com/listing/Lifeclock-One-Retro-LED-watch-5b66544cde6f6292efb86d9d
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=red+led+watch
How about a red LED watch that also displays your EKG waveform?
https://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/Electronic_Gadgets/LED_Watches/Alpha_Centauri-All_Metal_Red_LED_Watch
https://cdn.chv.me/images/1WvnhiLc.jpg

Oh for the days when even Pommie wreckers were literate

Dilbert: The Garbageman. I believe he would have the required
intelligence and literacy to meet your minimum acceptable
requirements.
http://dilbert.wikia.com/wiki/The_Garbageman
https://www.google.com/search?q=dilbert+garbageman&tbm=isch

Old October 21st 18, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, October 20, 2018 at 3:15:28 PM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 13:39:27 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Running on body heat would give you sort of unlimited run time.

There are problems trying to utilize body heat. The worst is the lack
of an easy cold junction. In order to produce electricity, one needs
a temperature DIFFERENCE. If the body is the warm junction, where's
the cold junction? Simply heating something will work if you use a
thermocouple, but the efficiency is very low and little power will be
produced. For example, using the ambient air as a cold junction will
produce a fabulous 0.3 microwatts with this contrivance:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4368596/Incredible-powercell-converts-BODY-HEAT-electricity.html

There are other ways that seem to be better:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_harvesting

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Remember that you can use either junction as the cold one. You don't care in what direction the current flows. All you need is a differential. Using germanium you can get away with really low voltages.