Arm fatigue

Old January 10th 06, 11:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Arm fatigue

Ceasar Valeroso wrote:
After a good 25 mile ride on my road bike my left bicep always seems to
fatigue and some minor discomfort sets in. I've been back to my LBS for
a refitting but my fit is dead on, and I'll admit besides the left arm
fatigue I could ride another 25 miles. I've also been to my doctor and
cardiologist just in case there are any underlying issues but
everything checks out.

I've installed those Specialized gel pads on my handle bars and they
have helped a bit but so far nothing has been able to get rid of the
fatigue. I've tried a more upright riding position and that hasn't
helped either. What else can I try?

Thanks,

Javier

I had upper arm fatigue that would set in, that was solved by installing
a more narrow handlebar. My shoulders are not very wide for my height, so
for my bike size they always install 44's, when only 42's will do for me.
But of course I would not feel the fatigue until I had at least gone 100
miles in a ride. Under 80 miles, I would not really feel it. After 150
miles, it would feel like hot foot in the arm, excruciating pain. After the
more narrow bars, nothing at that milage mark, amazing.

I had a similar, but somewhat opposite, experience. I discovered that my
arms and shoulders were much more comfortable with wider bars.
Old January 10th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I wrote:

It may be that your arms are of unequal length.

I've occasionally helped people with this problem by the simple
expedient of setting their handlebars slightly crooked.

Procrustes got out of his bed to suggest:

Why not stretch the shorter arm or cut off part of the longer arm?

Jeez, I hate these wishy washy "on-the-one-hand-but-on-the-other-hand"
posts!

Stretching the shorter arm is not a good idea, liable to damage the
joints and weaken the bones.

MUCH better to cut off part of the longer arm. This has the further
benefit of saving weight!

Sheldon "Chop It Off! Chop It Off!" Brown
| Take sides! Always take sides! |
| You will sometimes be wrong--but the man who |
| refuses to take sides must _always_ be wrong. |
| Heaven save us from poltroons who fear |
| to make a choice. --Robert A. Heinlein |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old January 10th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I had that problem too check to see your front forks aren't bent.

Old January 10th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Sheldon Brown wrote:
I wrote:

It may be that your arms are of unequal length.

I've occasionally helped people with this problem by the simple
expedient of setting their handlebars slightly crooked.

Procrustes got out of his bed to suggest:

Why not stretch the shorter arm or cut off part of the longer arm?

Jeez, I hate these wishy washy "on-the-one-hand-but-on-the-other-hand"
posts!

Stretching the shorter arm is not a good idea, liable to damage the
joints and weaken the bones.

MUCH better to cut off part of the longer arm. This has the further
benefit of saving weight!

Sheldon "Chop It Off! Chop It Off!" Brown

Good thing we don't have two penises. (And STEER with 'em!)

Bill "slow morning" S.

Old January 10th 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

More stiff leg deadlifts and cruches for me...not a problem.

Sapim Fatigue Test: converting Revs. to Miles daveornee Techniques 36 June 10th 05 06:12 PM
Fatigue in Stainless Steel Wire [email protected] Techniques 13 May 11th 05 03:44 AM
steel coil fatigue? Alex Techniques 20 September 20th 04 10:16 PM
Why we get Ker-knackered. Possibly. Simon Mason UK 13 March 27th 04 12:24 AM
A helpful hint that may combat fatigue on long rides Jon Bond Techniques 4 August 13th 03 05:29 PM