Out of court settlement in disk brake/QR case

Old January 9th 06, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech

Default Out of court settlement in disk brake/QR case

I've just heard that a case involving a disk brake/QR fork failure was
recently settled out of court.

Interestingly, I didn't even know that this guy was injured in this way,
let alone seeking compensation, until he got in touch with me a few days
ago. I'd be interested to hear from others who are taking action, if
there are any I don't already know about.

James
--
James Annan
see web pages for email
Old January 9th 06, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech

Be more specific!

Brands, models, etc. Are you talking about all the Wallmart suits?

Old January 9th 06, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 05:46:34 +0900, James Annan
wrote:

I've just heard that a case involving a disk brake/QR fork failure was
recently settled out of court.

Interestingly, I didn't even know that this guy was injured in this way,
let alone seeking compensation, until he got in touch with me a few days
ago. I'd be interested to hear from others who are taking action, if
there are any I don't already know about.

I thought you folks in the UK were all about personal responsibility
and it was the Yanks who flood their courts up with lawsuits, some
valid but a huge number totally frivolous, blaming others for their
injuries. Or maybe I was thinking that Britain was part of Europe :-)
Old January 10th 06, 02:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech

James Annan wrote:
I've just heard that a case involving a disk brake/QR fork failure was
recently settled out of court.

Interestingly, I didn't even know that this guy was injured in this way,
let alone seeking compensation, until he got in touch with me a few days
ago. I'd be interested to hear from others who are taking action, if
there are any I don't already know about.

James

while you're out there fishing james, be a decent chap and get us some
stats on out of court settlements for brake caliper cable clamps that
weren't tightened properly. loose stems would be good too. maybe
incorrectly fitted brake blocks? punctured tires getting fouled up in
the fork? popping chain rivets? pedal spindles in desperate need of
redesign to eliminate fatigue? [continue long boring list of
conspiratorial design defect cover-ups here.]

because it's a purely scientific interest you have here, not a face
saving exercise, right?
Old January 10th 06, 04:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 18:35:41 -0800, jim beam wrote:

because it's a purely scientific interest you have here, not a face
saving exercise, right?

Face saving in terms of helping prevent somebody doing a rather nasty
face-plant in the event of such a failure occurring, but other than that,
I'm sure James is just continuing to publicise/research a justified (in my
view) concern over an issue that seems to be ignored by manufacturers.

Graeme
Old January 10th 06, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech

"jim beam" wrote in message
James Annan wrote:
[...]

Don't forget the squirrel conspiracy.-- Jay Beattie.

S&S travel bike-their hard case or the soft case? eflayer2 Techniques 11 February 12th 05 12:07 AM
Lance sues for bonus Gary Racing 34 September 22nd 04 08:03 PM
An open letter to Lance Armstrong DiabloScott Racing 19 August 2nd 04 01:16 AM
mavic rims suck? Steve Knight Techniques 362 February 27th 04 07:21 AM