25mm tire recommendations?

Old January 10th 06, 08:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Is there a significant difference in ride quality between 23mm and 25mm?

Tom Nakashima wrote:
"Paul Kopit" wrote in message
On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 02:32:09 +0000 (UTC), Hoi Polloi
wrote:

I usually run mine between 100-120 psi depending on the road conditions.
So
my question should be: For the same value of air pressure, is there a
significant difference in ride quality between the 2 tire sizes?

Not that I can detect when riding. As suggested, lowering the air
pressure is most significant.

Not a significant difference, as I ride both Avocet Fasgrip Road 700 x 25
during workouts and switch to the Avocet Fasgrip Criterium 700 x 23 for fast
pace riding. The 25's give a little more cusion (smoother) on the road and a
bit heavier. I'm using 100psi front and 110psi for the rear.
-tom

Just curious, how much do you weigh? Do you use the same pressure for
both sizes?

Joseph

Old January 11th 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default 25mm tire recommendations?

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:43:07 +1100, Bruce Graham
wrote:
It depends on the rim width. I have an old pair of Michelin 23 trainers
on my bike just now. Front on a narrower rim is 22.5mm, rear on a rim
about 4mm wider is 24.3 mm.

Jeff Starr wrote:
I think the size of the tube can have an effect on tire width, too.

No, it surely cannot.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old January 11th 06, 12:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

FWIW, I have found that the newer, all black Avocet 25s seem more
susceptible to nicks and cuts than the old ones. Regards, Roy Zipris

Old January 11th 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jeff Starr wrote:
I think the size of the tube can have an effect on tire width, too.

No, it surely cannot.

Hi, I got that idea when I used a Vittoria tube that was sized
700x19/23 on the front and a Conti 700x18/25 for the rear. The tires
were Conti Ultra Gatorskins 700x25, bought at the same time. Rims are
velocity Aerohead and Aerohead OC. The front was a millimeter narrower
than the back, at the same pressure.

Yesterday, I checked them again, same one millimeter difference, but I
had changed the front tube to a Conti, same as the rear. So obviously
my assumption was wrong.

Either the tires are different or the wheels with the back being OC
are different. I just looked at Velocity's website, both are claimed
to be 20mm. The only other difference is that the front is 28 hole,
back 32 hole. Wheels were built by Peter at Vecchios, on DA 7700 hubs.

One millimeter, it really doesn't matter.

Jeffrey Starr
All rights to the above text is reserved. No use
outside of rec.bicycle.tech, without express written
permission.
Old January 11th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

[...]

My ideal cycling weight is 145 lbs in July. I go as high as 152 lbs in the
Winter. I'm 5'8" tall.
The tire pressure I use is 100 psi front and 110 psi rear on both the Avocet
Fasgrip Criterium and the Road. When not training or leisure riding, I drop
the pressure to 90 psi front and 100 psi rear using the Avocet Road 700 x
25.
http://home.comcast.net/~tomnak/Tom_...raut05_019.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~tomnak/Tom_...raut05_005.jpg
-tom

Old January 11th 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Roy Zipris wrote:
FWIW, I have found that the newer, all black Avocet 25s seem more
susceptible to nicks and cuts than the old ones. Regards, Roy Zipris

After reading the many recommendations for Avocets on this board, I
bought a pair of all black 700 x 25s from Harris cyclery two summers
ago. I had more flat tires on the Avocets in the first 3 months than
in the previous 3 years of riding Conti Ultra 2000s. I am now happily
back on the Ultra 2000s.

BTW, I never got a pinch flat on the Avocets. It was almost always
nicks and holes in the center of the tires. I got really good at
improvising boots with the Avocets.

Tire Pressure & relationship to punctures caaron Techniques 63 August 24th 05 10:40 PM
Easy Coker Airfoil tire change john_childs Unicycling 27 June 21st 05 01:52 AM
Tire Recommendations 41 Techniques 1 April 9th 05 04:42 AM
Tire pressure recommendations Philip W. Moore, Jr. Racing 0 November 10th 04 02:10 AM
Q. Will I benefit from different tire size or type? Joe Samangitak Techniques 19 August 8th 03 03:38 AM