Opinions on Ridley Excalibur carbon bike

Old January 11th 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Opinions on Ridley Excalibur carbon bike

He should also be emphatic about helmet usage, either pro or con. Really
makes no difference which; just be irrationally passionate about it.

--Mike Jacoubowsky

Mike,

This HE be a SHE ; And I am very, very passionate, just not about
helmets, barcons, friction, wheels, etc. Just beautiful, sweet, pretty
carbon (and my husband, of course ;)

Cat

You go girl!

Does your husband share your passion? For bikes, I mean... the other is
hopefully assumed!

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Cat Dailey" wrote in message

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
. com...
But of course you are riding 36 hole rims? This is rec.bicycles.tech
you know, and it's well known here that using fewer spokes than that
is not only fraught with danger but pointless. The only people who
would do that are being duped by marketing.

He'd better be using bar-cons too, or, even better, friction downtube
shifters.

Old January 11th 06, 11:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Cat Dailey wrote:

Yup, I've got a lovely set of 32 spoke, Record hub, Ambrosio Excellight
rimmed wheels that Peter at Vecchio's built for me. They are light, stay
true, and are all around fabulous wheels.

I expect that they'd be the model of reliability, as little as you load
them. I built my sweetie's wheels with Mavic MA2 rims and 32 spokes
each on Rohloff and Ritchey hubs. They've been faultless so far, and
they are beautiful to look at.

As for me, I'll use 48 spoke wheels whenever I can.

Chalo Colina

Old January 11th 06, 12:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
. com...
He should also be emphatic about helmet usage, either pro or con. Really
makes no difference which; just be irrationally passionate about it.

--Mike Jacoubowsky

Mike,

This HE be a SHE ; And I am very, very passionate, just not about
helmets, barcons, friction, wheels, etc. Just beautiful, sweet, pretty
carbon (and my husband, of course ;)

Cat

You go girl!

Does your husband share your passion? For bikes, I mean... the other is
hopefully assumed!

Well, when we first married, he did. He doesn't like to ride with me too
much (my nickname is "one speed"). I get into "ride face" mode, if you know
what I mean. He still rides, just not as much as I do. I rode almost
11,000 miles this year before a knee operation sidelined me for a little
over a month around Thanksgiving.

What he started doing a few years ago, which is totally cool with me, is
moto officiating at bike races. He's running the moto crew for the Tour of
Ca and Tour of Ga, Natl Champs, etc. So, he's now passionate about a
certain BMW RTP and GS Adventure that he now owns, and his Giant is sort of
taking a back seat ;

Cat

Old January 11th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Chalo wrote:
Cat Dailey wrote:

Yup, I've got a lovely set of 32 spoke, Record hub, Ambrosio Excellight
rimmed wheels that Peter at Vecchio's built for me. They are light, stay
true, and are all around fabulous wheels.

I expect that they'd be the model of reliability, as little as you load
them. I built my sweetie's wheels with Mavic MA2 rims and 32 spokes
each on Rohloff and Ritchey hubs. They've been faultless so far, and
they are beautiful to look at.

As for me, I'll use 48 spoke wheels whenever I can.

I think there's a considerable range in how hard people are on wheels, I
don't know exactly why. I'm really large and heavy but I don't have
problems even with medium-strength wheels.