Lightweight Rear Rack For 700C Road Bike?

Old January 11th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

Default Lightweight Rear Rack For 700C Road Bike?

Steve Sr. wrote:
On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 21:19:22 -0500, Steve Sr.
wrote:

Hello,

I am looking for a lightweight aluminum or stainless bike rack fhat
will fit the rear of a road bike with 700c tires. I am only looking
for something to put a rear luggage trunk on it - no panniers. The
bike frame does have braze-ons both top and bottom.

From previous posts I have looked at Tubus. They are expensive and
overkill for my purposes..

I have also looked at Old Man Mountain. Again they seem to be overkill
and mostly devoted to racks for suspension bikes.

Blackburn has limited choices. The expedition rack is overkill. The
mountain rack looks like it would be closest but I don't think it
would fit a 700c tire.

Have I missed anything? Do any of you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Since I already have a Jandd rear
rack trunk I think I'll stick with a standard rear rack. The Carradice
and Moots approaches look intriguing but doesn't leave any place to
mount a rear light. This also leads to the Blackburn's weakness. There
is no way to mount a reflector/blinkie without making some kind of
bracket.

As one poster mentioned the reason I am doing this is to allow a place
to carry things for brevets on my otherwise regular road bike.

For brevets last year I bought an Ascent $15 rack from Nashbar. Used 4
P-clips to mount it to the seatstays. Very solid. It had a bracket
for mounting a rear blinkie light. But I also put one on the back of
the rack bag. And one on each seatstay down by the hub. After the
brevets were over, the rack easily came off.

What really loks like the best option is the TorTec Ultralight. It has
a place for a blinkie and is very light weight. Does anyone know if
these are available in the States?

Thanks,

Steve