'ere it is...

Old February 4th 07, 06:48 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

Default 'ere it is...

....a little number called 12FU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My new 27er:

http://homepage.mac.com/getosx/jubilee.jpg

I rode it for an hour or so at sunset tonight. Definitely need that
longer 26.2 seatpost I have on the way, I think I might put some wider
bars on especially since it looks like the bottom of the left drop was
pushed in sometime in the past (the only problem I can see with this 25
year old bike), and I think I may drop the toe clips riding flats for
awhile and then maybe put some clipless on.

This is the first time I've ridden a singlespeed, fixed or not, so there
were a couple of times where I tried to shift down. I can definitely
see the appeal of riding single and/or fixed, it's simple, quiet, and
you don't have to think, you just ride.

I really don't know how guys ride fixed gears off-road. I rode in very
little traffic, a pretty much empty LA River bike path and a little
off-road at Griffith Park, didn't have any troubles but when I
encountered swerving obstacles such as the bike path entry my instinct
is to coast through it. I can't imagine being forced to pedal through a
rock garden.

Observations: the brakes sucked back then, the very straight cranks
don't give any ankle room, but that seat is damn comfortable.

Apologies to Wire fans everywhere.

Greg
--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Old February 4th 07, 03:07 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
GeeDubb

"G.T." wrote in message
...a little number called 12FU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My new 27er:

http://homepage.mac.com/getosx/jubilee.jpg

is that a double crank fixy? Nice.

Gary

Old February 4th 07, 07:07 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

GeeDubb wrote:

"G.T." wrote in message
...a little number called 12FU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My new 27er:

http://homepage.mac.com/getosx/jubilee.jpg

is that a double crank fixy? Nice.

Oops, no, I just wanted to ride it last night so I left the big
chainring on, I was running out of time. I'll be taking it off today.

You also can't see the kickstand which I took off last night. I was
going to leave it on but it made it really hard to take the rear wheel
off and on.

Greg
Old February 4th 07, 07:40 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
GeeDubb

"G.T." wrote in message
GeeDubb wrote:

"G.T." wrote in message
...a little number called 12FU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My new 27er:

http://homepage.mac.com/getosx/jubilee.jpg

is that a double crank fixy? Nice.

Oops, no, I just wanted to ride it last night so I left the big chainring
on, I was running out of time. I'll be taking it off today.

You also can't see the kickstand which I took off last night. I was going
to leave it on but it made it really hard to take the rear wheel off and
on.

Greg
--

Had I thought about it just a second more.......I would have figured out
that you can't have two chain rings on a fixy....easily!

Gary

Old February 5th 07, 04:33 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Feb 3, 9:48 pm, "G.T." wrote:
[...]

Toeclips, I don't see how you guys ride around in those things...

Since I'm running the same ratio on my Continental and it weighs 10
lbs more, consider me handicapped.

JD getting ready for a solo midnight ridezz

Old February 5th 07, 04:03 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Scott Gordo

On Feb 4, 12:48 am, "G.T." wrote:
[...]

You neglected to match the tire label with the location of the valve
stem.

/s

Old February 5th 07, 09:58 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Feb 5, 7:03 am, "Scott Gordo" wrote:
On Feb 4, 12:48 am, "G.T." wrote:

[...]

Obsessive, aren't we?

JD's match

Old February 5th 07, 10:20 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Scott Gordo

On Feb 4, 12:48 am, "G.T." wrote:

[...]

JD's match- Hide quoted text -

Compulsive is more like it....

And what's up with that rear brake cable routing? Looks like turning
left is going to lock the rear wheel.

And your lawn is fraught with crabgrass.
/s

Old February 5th 07, 11:43 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

"Scott Gordo" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Feb 4, 12:48 am, "G.T." wrote:

...a little number called 12FU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My new 27er:

http://homepage.mac.com/getosx/jubilee.jpg

You neglected to match the tire label with the location of the valve
stem.

I normally do but I was frustrated with tire changes and just threw them on
the last time. Plus those labels are pretty subtle. I'm not used to
working on skinny tires, I pinched the front and rear tubes a total of 3
times getting them off the old rims, they were all kind of glued to the
inside of the tires. And then the patches didn't stick, maybe because the
tubes are so old, I don't know. I do know I haven't had such problems with
tires and tubes since I was a little kid.

Obsessive, aren't we?

JD's match- Hide quoted text -

Compulsive is more like it....

And what's up with that rear brake cable routing? Looks like turning
left is going to lock the rear wheel.

It can turn quite aways, almost til the bars hit the top tube. Again, I was
in quite the hurry Sat afternoon, I have to revisit that.

My $4 seatpost arrived today so I'll be working on it tonight, most likely
changing the bars entirely. I'm really hesistant to tear off that original
bar covering but I need the brake levers.

And your lawn is fraught with crabgrass.

Yep, and that's one of the better lawns on the street.

Greg

Old February 6th 07, 04:08 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Scott Gordo

On Feb 4, 12:48 am, "G.T." wrote:

[...]

Nothing sadder than a joke that apparently ain't funny. Sheesh!

/s

"Hello? Is this microphone on?"