Cold lockout

Old February 5th 07, 11:23 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Crazy Fred

Default Cold lockout

Allways herd about it when its cold out. But never happened to me till
today. Dame forks wouldn't work in temps that never went over 22
degress daylight hours. Once it was home about an hour they work fine.

Old February 5th 07, 11:47 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Feb 5, 6:23 pm, "Crazy Fred" wrote:
Allways herd about it when its cold out. But never happened to me till
today. Dame forks wouldn't work in temps that never went over 22
degress daylight hours. Once it was home about an hour they work fine.

What type of fork? A friend and I did a 5 hour snow ride on Saturday
in NH, with temps from 15-25F. My derailers froze a couple hours in,
braking was iffy at times, but the suspension stayed about the same
from what I can tell. My friends bike lost shifting and brakes within
30 minutes, but his suspension stayed active as well. Interesting
thing to watch out for when upgrading forks. I'm particuarly curious
because I'm in the market for a bargain set for my hardtail by spring).

Old February 6th 07, 12:40 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Micheal Artindale

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 5, 6:23 pm, "Crazy Fred" wrote:
Allways herd about it when its cold out. But never happened to me till
today. Dame forks wouldn't work in temps that never went over 22
degress daylight hours. Once it was home about an hour they work fine.

What type of fork? A friend and I did a 5 hour snow ride on Saturday
in NH, with temps from 15-25F. My derailers froze a couple hours in,
braking was iffy at times, but the suspension stayed about the same
from what I can tell. My friends bike lost shifting and brakes within
30 minutes, but his suspension stayed active as well. Interesting
thing to watch out for when upgrading forks. I'm particuarly curious
because I'm in the market for a bargain set for my hardtail by spring).

Rode all winter to and from work 2 winters ago. Forward motion got
questionable at temps under -40 C

In cold temps, pick a gear, ans stay there. Single speed becomes a
necessity. Suspension, depending on quality of manufacturer, and type of oil
in them, is useless. Braking is not recommended, partly due to ice/snow,
also due to the fact that ice and snow can collect, and freeze up vital
areas.

Forks are the least of your worry in winter.

If you have a bike you want specifically for winter, go no suspension,
single speed, I duno what for brakes.

Enjoying biking in Victoria BC this summer, originaly from Ontario, Canada

Micheal

Old February 6th 07, 04:05 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

On Feb 5, 4:23 pm, "Crazy Fred" wrote:
Allways herd about it when its cold out. But never happened to me till
today. Dame forks wouldn't work in temps that never went over 22
degress daylight hours. Once it was home about an hour they work fine.

That's pretty odd, as I ride in 10 to 20 degF quite often and never
have any problems, unless you count cold toes now and then...

CDB

Old February 7th 07, 12:28 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Crazy Fred

On Feb 5, 6:47 pm, " wrote:
On Feb 5, 6:23 pm, "Crazy Fred" wrote:

Allways herd about it when its cold out. But never happened to me till
today. Dame forks wouldn't work in temps that never went over 22
degress daylight hours. Once it was home about an hour they work fine.

What type of fork? A friend and I did a 5 hour snow ride on Saturday
in NH, with temps from 15-25F. My derailers froze a couple hours in,
braking was iffy at times, but the suspension stayed about the same
from what I can tell. My friends bike lost shifting and brakes within
30 minutes, but his suspension stayed active as well. Interesting
thing to watch out for when upgrading forks. I'm particuarly curious
because I'm in the market for a bargain set for my hardtail by spring).

Its an Elastomer fork. Cheapo KT 2000. Works great in warm temps.
Other times I ride my Schwinn Probe which goes good from high temps to
the lowest temps and all points in between.

Old February 7th 07, 02:46 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Scott Gordo

On Feb 5, 6:23 pm, "Crazy Fred" wrote:
Allways herd about it when its cold out. But never happened to me till
today. Dame forks wouldn't work in temps that never went over 22
degress daylight hours. Once it was home about an hour they work fine.

I had my rear shifting 'lock out' on me this morn. The ratchet mech
slipped. Prognosis: frozen mung. Either that or the internal bits
finally just rounded off.

/s

Tora 302 Lockout? Brandon Mountain Biking 5 November 14th 06 11:17 PM
remote lockout Filippo Mountain Biking 4 September 12th 06 05:21 PM
FS: Giordana Cold, Cold weather tights, Size 3 [email protected] Marketplace 0 December 12th 05 06:33 PM
FS: Giordana Cold, Cold weather tights, Size 3 [email protected] Marketplace 0 December 12th 05 06:33 PM
do you lockout? seecleestow Mountain Biking 38 December 6th 04 07:20 AM