Why does Dura Ace cost way more than Ultegra

Old December 22nd 05, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Why does Dura Ace cost way more than Ultegra

Tim McNamara wrote:
Stan Cox writes:

the difference is, do you want to be seen riding the top of the
range or as a skinflint.

Which relates exactly back to Bill S.'s answer.

Err. Yes. Doesnt make it any less true

Stan Cox
Old December 22nd 05, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Derk wrote:

I compare it to owning Zeiss, Swarovski or Leica optics: you can also use
other cheaper optics and you'll see as much, but through these high end
optics you'll see just a bit brighter, more contrasty images.

Last time I looked through a pair of Leica binoculars,
there was just as much color fringing around objects
at the edge of the field as you see through my
30 year old Sears (probably made by Tasco) 7x50.

Tom Ace

Old December 22nd 05, 07:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article .com,
says...

Duta Ace ST-7800 10 speed shift levers $429
Ultegra ST-6600 10 speed shift levers $269

What accounts for the $160 price difference besides a negligible weight
savings?

Pro team sponsorhip. No pro team wants to ride Ultegra.
--------------
Alex

Old December 22nd 05, 07:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Stan Cox writes:

Tim McNamara wrote:
Stan Cox writes:

the difference is, do you want to be seen riding the top of the
range or as a skinflint.

Which relates exactly back to Bill S.'s answer.

Err. Yes. Doesnt make it any less true

Absolutely.

Of course, I am quite happy to be seen as a skinfint... :-D
Old December 22nd 05, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Tim McNamara wrote:
Stan Cox writes:

Tim McNamara wrote:

Stan Cox writes:

the difference is, do you want to be seen riding the top of the
range or as a skinflint.

Which relates exactly back to Bill S.'s answer.

Err. Yes. Doesnt make it any less true

Absolutely.

Of course, I am quite happy to be seen as a skinfint... :-D

Same here. Thats why i called myself Stan (Skinflint) Cox
Old December 22nd 05, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 21 Dec 2005 20:20:12 -0800, "Joel" wrote:

Duta Ace ST-7800 10 speed shift levers $429
Ultegra ST-6600 10 speed shift levers $269

What accounts for the $160 price difference besides a negligible weight
savings?

DA components are small-batch specialty bits made for the high-end
market. Many of the current technical features of DA will eventually
filter down to the lower levels. With DA, the theory is that the
buyer is (in part) paying for the R&D to stay at the bleeding edge of
tech, Ultegra is where the buyer pays for near-bleeding-edge tech at
merely semi-snobbery prices, and anything below that is priced
according to what the mass market will bear.

There's a reason why I have nothing better than 105. I'm too cheap to
spend money on tech that's better than I need. (Which admits that I'd
be wasting money if I bought *new* 105 bits, but as I shop the bargain
bins and used sales, I can afford to ride with better kit than my
abilities really demand.)
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old December 22nd 05, 08:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Tom Ace wrote:

Last time I looked through a pair of Leica binoculars,
there was just as much color fringing around objects
at the edge of the field as you see through my
30 year old Sears (probably made by Tasco) 7x50.

Maybe the chromatic aberation is in your eyes?

Greets, Derk