Opinions on Ridley Excalibur carbon bike

Old January 9th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Opinions on Ridley Excalibur carbon bike

"Sandy" wrote in message
Dans le message de ,
Cat Dailey a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
"Sandy" wrote in message
Dans le message de ,
Cat Dailey a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
"Forte Agent" wrote in message
Local shop in my area has a Ridley Excalibur (carbon frame) with
Campy Chorus group (rims included). Stem, bar and seat post are
also carbon. Looks like a really nice bike and seems to be
reasonably priced at $4100. Don't know much about Ridley although
what I have read is very positive.

Looking for any thoughts from others who have some experience or
knowledge of them.

Thanks.

I read in either procycling or cyclesport that Ridley was primarily
a paint shop and that they do not make frames, but buy outsourced
product. If that is the case, you should make sure that you are not
paying extra for a fancy paint job. If there are only several
Chinese or Tiawanese factories producing these carbon frames, you
might be able to purchase the exact frame for a lot less under a
different brand name. Giant comes to mind, as I believe that's how
they are able to offer their bikes at such a great price. You could
probably do some internet research to find out where the Ridley was
made and who else the same frame is being made for.
Cat

But we really want to know what extended seat-tube frame you
selected. --
Sandy
--

Sandy,

How good of you to remember! I can't get the Giant that I want, do
you believe that? The Giant rep basically said "forget it." They
won't sell it in the US, I can't order one from Europe, and my only
option would be to fly to Europe and hope I could find one in a shop,
which is a little too expensive for me.

I have two other choices in mind....the Giant TCR Advanced non-ISP
version, although I HATE the color scheme of the framesets available
if you just but the frameset (and I don't want or need the
components) if I can even get one. The Giant rep alluded to the fact
that you might not be able to order just a frame, as the complete
bike is hard for them to keep in stock.
The other choice is a Cervelo R3, but my LBS is not a Cervelo dealer,
and he has been so unbelievably wonderful to me all these years, that
I really can't buy a bike anywhere else. It just wouldn't be
ethical. And he is a Giant dealer.

I'd hate to buy the Giant that I don't really want and have them make
the frame I really want available next year. Oh, the dilemma!

Any suggestions???

I found the reference : the frame with extended seat post - C4 Syrius, and
comes with a Deda Black Drive fork. The bottom bracket is not in line
with the seat tube, being set back, as a Kestrel is, maybe more so. The
blue I recalled is, sadly, less of the color, as the main background color
remains black. I only have a Paris telephone for contact, but maybe you
can find one on your own.

--
Sandy
--

Thanks, Sandy, I'll do some internet research. I've never heard of this
brand, but that doesn't matter. And I did take your suggestion earlier and

Cat

Old January 9th 06, 06:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Thanks, Sandy, I'll do some internet research. I've never heard of this
brand, but that doesn't matter. And I did take your suggestion earlier
and looked at the Time bikes. Unfortunately, too heavy to fit the bill.
The Giant, Cervelo, etc, are all in the 880 gram range, which is what I'm
looking for ; I want really, really light.

Cat

880 grams for a frame, even a carbon-fiber frame, may be in the stupid-light
category. That's taking things to the very edge of what's possible to build,
in much the same way that some manufacturers have built 2-pound aluminum
frames. Yes, it can be done, but is it durable enough?

As long as you recognize the trade-offs, it's not a big deal, but
unfortunately there are a lot of people who mistakenly believe that such
frames are as durable, I daresay even as safe to ride, as slightly-heavier
ones. They're not. There's no margin for error in manufacturing, and in an
imperfect world, that can be an issue.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Cat Dailey" wrote in message
. ..

Old January 9th 06, 11:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote -

Yes, it can be done, but is it durable enough?

When I went shopping for a good quality frame I was told I could have any 2
out of

Light,

Durable, or

Relatively inexpensive.

But not all 3 - and I think that still holds true.

best, Andrew

Old January 9th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

Yup. I think I know the trade-offs. And at 125-130 lbs., I might also be
a little easier on frames than some big guy. And I buy a new bike every 2-3
years, so longevity really isn't an issue. And anyone who responds to this,
please, I LIKE to buy a new bike every 2-3 years, so please just leave that
alone ;

Cat

Old January 9th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Andrew Price wrote:

When I went shopping for a good quality frame I was told I could have any 2
out of

Light,

Durable, or

Relatively inexpensive.

But not all 3 - and I think that still holds true.

Funny how so many opt for just one out of the three.

Chalo

Old January 9th 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 17:35:54 -0500, "Cat Dailey"
wrote:

Yup. I think I know the trade-offs. And at 125-130 lbs., I might also be
a little easier on frames than some big guy. And I buy a new bike every 2-3
years, so longevity really isn't an issue. And anyone who responds to this,
please, I LIKE to buy a new bike every 2-3 years, so please just leave that
alone ;

But of course you are riding 36 hole rims? This is rec.bicycles.tech
you know, and it's well known here that using fewer spokes than that
is not only fraught with danger but pointless. The only people who
would do that are being duped by marketing.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old January 9th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

But of course you are riding 36 hole rims? This is rec.bicycles.tech
you know, and it's well known here that using fewer spokes than that
is not only fraught with danger but pointless. The only people who
would do that are being duped by marketing.

He'd better be using bar-cons too, or, even better, friction downtube
shifters.

He should also be emphatic about helmet usage, either pro or con. Really
makes no difference which; just be irrationally passionate about it.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old January 9th 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

But of course you are riding 36 hole rims? This is rec.bicycles.tech
you know, and it's well known here that using fewer spokes than that
is not only fraught with danger but pointless. The only people who
would do that are being duped by marketing.

I recognize that you are making a joke. But reflect on the fact that
thirty-six 15/17ga. spokes have the same cross-sectional area as twenty
14ga. spokes. Do you have a guess as to which one of those two
configurations can safely use a lighter rim, and which one is apt to be
more reliable?

Chalo Colina

Old January 10th 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 9 Jan 2006 15:51:29 -0800, "Chalo" wrote:

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

But of course you are riding 36 hole rims? This is rec.bicycles.tech
you know, and it's well known here that using fewer spokes than that
is not only fraught with danger but pointless. The only people who
would do that are being duped by marketing.

I recognize that you are making a joke. But reflect on the fact that
thirty-six 15/17ga. spokes have the same cross-sectional area as twenty
14ga. spokes. Do you have a guess as to which one of those two
configurations can safely use a lighter rim, and which one is apt to be
more reliable?

What about aerodynamics? The bike is question is a racing bike.

And think about how much you weigh before chiming in hear -- you
weight two or three *times* the weight of the OP. Or more. Right?

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old January 10th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Chalo" wrote:

I recognize that you are making a joke. But reflect on the fact that
thirty-six 15/17ga. spokes have the same cross-sectional area as twenty
14ga. spokes. Do you have a guess as to which one of those two
configurations can safely use a lighter rim, and which one is apt to be
more reliable?

What about aerodynamics? The bike is question is a racing bike.

The bike in question does not have airfoil tubes or inside-the-frame
cable routing, so there is obviously some limit to how far the OP cares
to pursue such minutiae. There are plenty of track racers who use 36
spoke wheels-- how much do you think it slows them down?

And think about how much you weigh before chiming in hear -- you
weight two or three *times* the weight of the OP. Or more. Right?

Right. I couldn't ride either of the setups I used as examples. But I
have worked as a cycle mechanic in a few shops, and I've seen lots of
smaller riders than that lay waste to stronger wheels than that.

If the goal is light weight, which seems to be the focus for Cat Dailey
if not for the OP, then it's possible to build a lighter wheel of any
given strength with 36 spokes than with 16 or 20 or 24. Whether you or
the OP decide that strength-to-weight is the driving factor, or
aerodynamics, or something else yet, is another matter. But Cat did
say something about a 1050g frame being "too heavy to fit the bill".
If that's too heavy, then it follows that low-spoke-count wheels are
too heavy.

Chalo Colina