Brooks Saddles: Hard/Soft?

Old January 9th 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Brooks Saddles: Hard/Soft?

Seems like there was a thread on this sometime last year, but I cannot find it.

I've got three B-17's that I've had for varying periods of time.

None of them required what I'd call "break-in". Yes, they got a little more
comfy with use, but all 3 were reasonably comfortable on Day 1.

Right now, I'm trying a new B-17S. Supposedly 7mm wider and somewhat shorter.

"Ass Hatchet" is probably too strong a word, but this thing is *Hard* -
something in the vein of http://sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html.

It almost seems like they've impregnated the leather with some kind of resin to
make it stiff. On my other Brooks saddles, I can wiggle the skirt where the
Brooks logo is stamped and it's fairly pliable. On the new saddle, it's like
wood.

It's also extremely slippery - seemingly in support of the impregnation notion.

Before I send this thing back, I thought I'd try to troll up some other people's
experiences.

Anybody been here?

--
PeteCresswell

Old January 9th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

My 5 year old, in service only the past 2 years, Brooks Pro is still
hard after about 5,000 miles. Feels slick to the touch. But its still
comfortable and I don't seem to slide off the saddle.

To solve the hardness you could saok the thing in neatsfoot oil. And
the slickness can be cured by using some sandpaper, lightly, on the
leather.

Old January 10th 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 17:19:07 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

[...]

Leather varies. That's one of its disadvantages. This one is the sort that
everyone was talking about with the break in drill.

Ron
Old January 10th 06, 06:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article , PeteCresswell
wrote:

[...]

Of my two B-17s (s is for plural), the second more fit your description
prior to break-in: I found myself sliding around on the smooth finish
(since worn to a grainy texture a la my other Brooks); and break-in
seemed longer than the first B17. However, I wouldn't describe either
saddle as *hard* - nowhere near as firm as my Pro, for instance.

This may have a bearing: My first B17 was manufactured prior to Selle
Royal buying the firm (that saddle's metal plate states "Brooks,
England"), and the second, following the buyout (nameplate simply says
"Brooks"). Perhaps the inconsistencies can be attributed to differences
in manufacturing and finishing processes following the change in
ownership, as well as model designs. Do you have access to a new
standard B17 that'll serve as a reference?

Luke
Old January 11th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Per Strayhorn:
near as I could tell, it was an early-70s clone of a Brooks B17

Did it measure 170mm? I've got this obsession about how come, given a normal
distribution of butt widths, why they don't make at least an 18 a 19 in the same
shape.
--
PeteCresswell