Cable Quality?

Old February 6th 07, 01:47 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default Cable Quality?

What's the general wisdom on cable quality? In the past I always just
got them at the LBS, where my options were "shifting or braking".
Looking at some online retailers now as well as at a bigger, better,
not-quite-local shop has me looking at options. What's the difference
between a $.99 cable & a $9.99 cable? Are all the brands the same
cable in different packaging, or are a few companies making their own?

Part of me says that I should use XTR cables on XTR parts. Another
part of me says I should spend $.99 instead of $9.99 per cable since I
can't afford the $ I put into this hobby as is.

Thoughts?

Old February 6th 07, 03:34 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
tom

On Feb 5, 4:47 pm, " wrote:
What's the general wisdom on cable quality? In the past I always just
got them at the LBS, where my options were "shifting or braking".
Looking at some online retailers now as well as at a bigger, better,
not-quite-local shop has me looking at options. What's the difference
between a $.99 cable & a $9.99 cable? Are all the brands the same
cable in different packaging, or are a few companies making their own?

Part of me says that I should use XTR cables on XTR parts. Another
part of me says I should spend $.99 instead of $9.99 per cable since I
can't afford the $ I put into this hobby as is.

Thoughts?

Well, for starters, some cable housings are compression resistant, and
some are not. Tom

Old February 6th 07, 03:35 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
tom

On Feb 5, 4:47 pm, " wrote:
What's the general wisdom on cable quality? In the past I always just
got them at the LBS, where my options were "shifting or braking".
Looking at some online retailers now as well as at a bigger, better,
not-quite-local shop has me looking at options. What's the difference
between a $.99 cable & a $9.99 cable? Are all the brands the same
cable in different packaging, or are a few companies making their own?

Part of me says that I should use XTR cables on XTR parts. Another
part of me says I should spend $.99 instead of $9.99 per cable since I
can't afford the $ I put into this hobby as is.

Thoughts?

Try the .99 centers first anyway, eh? Tom

Old February 6th 07, 04:30 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Phil, Non-Squid

tom wrote:
On Feb 5, 4:47 pm, " wrote:
What's the general wisdom on cable quality? In the past I always
just got them at the LBS, where my options were "shifting or
braking". Looking at some online retailers now as well as at a
bigger, better, not-quite-local shop has me looking at options.
What's the difference between a $.99 cable & a $9.99 cable? Are all
the brands the same cable in different packaging, or are a few
companies making their own?

Part of me says that I should use XTR cables on XTR parts. Another
part of me says I should spend $.99 instead of $9.99 per cable since
I can't afford the $ I put into this hobby as is.

Thoughts?

Well, for starters, some cable housings are compression resistant, and
some are not. Tom

Therein lies the difference between derailleur and cable housing. It's hard
to get them mixed up.

--
Phil

Old February 6th 07, 05:57 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
tom

On Feb 5, 7:30 pm, "Phil, Non-Squid"
wrote:
tom wrote:
[...]