bike locater cell phone

Old January 14th 09, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
ilaboo[_3_]

Default bike locater cell phone

anyone ever thaught of using a cell phone as a locator for a stolen
bike?

if the cell phone automatically sent out a email request say every 15
minutes and cell phones are gps enabled you probably could locate the
bike to say within a circle of 50 feet---sounds like a kool way to
locate a bike

what do you thinK?

peter
Old January 14th 09, 11:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dan C

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 15:06:37 -0800, ilaboo wrote:

anyone ever thaught of using a cell phone as a locator for a stolen
bike?

if the cell phone automatically sent out a email request say every 15
minutes and cell phones are gps enabled you probably could locate the
bike to say within a circle of 50 feet---sounds like a kool way to
locate a bike

what do you thinK?

Whaddya going to do, zip-tie the phone to the bike frame? Do you think
the thief might notice that?

Old January 15th 09, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman[_2_]

"Dan C" wrote: Whaddya going to do, zip-tie the phone to the bike frame?
Do you think
the thief might notice that?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'll bet he would. Might very likely steal the phone and leave the bike.

I kind of like having my cell phone with me, just in case I get a call.

Old January 15th 09, 10:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Would be great if you could send an SMS message back that cut the
ignition. Or for bikes with electronic interface with the brakes
(BMW's with ABS, for instance), you could just tell the bike to lock
its brakes on.

AsianDoll

Since its my school semester break I have been using my free time
playing games like a href=http://www.gamestotal.com http://www.gamestotal.com
/a a href=http://uc.gamestotal.com http://uc.gamestotal.com /a
a href=http://gc.gamestotal.com http://gc.gamestotal.com /a a
href=http://3700ad.gamestotal.com http://3700ad.gamestotal.com /a
a href=http://manga.gamestotal.com http://manga.gamestotal.com /a

Old January 15th 09, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
bluezfolk

On Jan 14, 6:06*pm, ilaboo wrote:
anyone ever thaught of using a cell phone as a locator for a stolen
bike?

if the cell phone automatically sent out a email request say every 15
minutes and cell phones are gps enabled you probably could locate the
bike to say within a circle of 50 feet---sounds like a kool way to
locate a bike

what do you thinK?

peter

Seems a bit impractical, you'd lose not only your bike but your GPS
cell phone too.

Eric
Old January 15th 09, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul O

Leo Lichtman wrote, On 1/14/2009 10:25 PM:
"Dan C" wrote: Whaddya going to do, zip-tie the phone to the bike frame?
Do you think

the thief might notice that?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'll bet he would. Might very likely steal the phone and leave the bike.

I kind of like having my cell phone with me, just in case I get a call.

Also, if my bike gets stolen, I'm going to want to call someone to come
and pick me up!

--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)

Old January 15th 09, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman[_2_]

"Paul O" wrote: Also, if my bike gets stolen, I'm going to want to call
someone to come
and pick me up!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Or you could call the thief and ask him whether he has your bike, and would
he please bring it back.

Old January 15th 09, 11:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Paul O" wrote: Also, if my bike gets stolen, I'm going to want to
call someone to come
and pick me up!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Or you could call the thief and ask him whether he has your bike, and
would he please bring it back.

Recent variation of that- someone stole a car with someone's cell phone
in it. So the sent a text message to the cell phone, along the lines of
some woman meeting to finalize a drug transaction. The thieves bought it
and showed up, and were arrested.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old January 16th 09, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

bluezfolk wrote:
On Jan 14, 6:06*pm, ilaboo wrote:
anyone ever thaught of using a cell phone as a locator for a stolen
bike?

if the cell phone automatically sent out a email request say every 15
minutes and cell phones are gps enabled you probably could locate the
bike to say within a circle of 50 feet---sounds like a kool way to
locate a bike

what do you thinK?

peter

Seems a bit impractical, you'd lose not only your bike but your GPS
cell phone too.

Some late-model, high-end cars now come with a GPS unit. Many of
them can be spotted by the minature "shark fin" antennas on the roof
near the back window. The feature can be used to locate the car if it's
stolen, or by repo people trying to get a car back from a delinquent
customer.
So I think the technology exists that could do the same for bicycles.
The only questions, could it be concealed so that the thief wouldn't be
aware of it, and would it be cost-effective? Unfortunately, I'm kind of
leaning toward "no" in answer to both questions, at least for now.

Bill "Frumiou

__o | Better is a poor and a wise child than an old
_`\(,_ | and foolish king, who will no more be admonished.
(_)/ (_) | --Ecclesiastes 4: 13