not able to turn right

Old August 17th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
zachjowi

Default not able to turn right

I can ride in cicrle going left but I always bail or fall when I try and
trun right. Why can't I do a simple thing like turning right. I can
go forward, backwards, idle, jump, hop , but I can't turn right

I ride a Torker LX 24"

--
zachjowi
zachjowi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12534

Old August 17th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
U-Turn

Try grabbing a pole with your right hand and riding around and around
it. Get the feel that your wheel has to reach out to the left to go
right. GL.

--
U-Turn

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
-- Dave Stockton

Old August 17th 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
idiorythmic

Are you free mounting or using a support to mount?

I had a similar problem and found that it was at least partially due to
always mounting with my right foot if free mounting, or always with
support on my right side. I tried mounting the other way and somehow
that helped me with my right turns.

for a while anyway...the problem resurfaces from time to time and I
haven't totally licked it.

But I've found with any problem that just changing the way I mount or
changing the place I practice can really help. And practice practice
practice.

--
idiorythmic
idiorythmic's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12653

Old August 17th 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
idiorythmic

U-Turn wrote:
Get the feel that your wheel has to reach out to the left to go right.
GL.

U-Turn, are you saying that to start turning right it takes a slight
bump to the left? In motorcycling this is called "countersteering" and
is an essential skill for mastering the bike. I'm surprised I haven't
thought to apply this to the unicycle! I'll certainly give this a try
next time I'm out there.

Old August 17th 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

You're probably thinking about it too much. Go play uni basketball or
hockey or something that will take your mind off what you're doing.

--
tholub

Old August 17th 06, 05:31 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
zachjowi

I am freemounting with my left foot. I will try to mount with my right
next time

Old August 17th 06, 05:43 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tomtrevor

just grab a pole and try spin around it, it is easy and should work!
(maybe)

--
tomtrevor

'A GALLERY!!'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/?g2_itemId=196944)
'KEEPIN' IT WHEEL' (www.mediahug.com/bikes)
So, what are you wearing?
You know your not in the hood when you think a 'cap in your ass' is a
funny place to put a hat.
'g' (http://www.google.com.au/)'o' (http://www.google.com.br/)'o'
(http://www.google.co.uk/)'g' (http://www.google.com.ni/)'l'
(http://www.google.to/)'i' (http://www.google.ch/)'n'
(http://www.google.com.mt/)'g' (http://www.google.com.na/)'s'
(http://www.google.rw/)'!'
(http://www.google.com.do/)'t'
(http://mediahug.com/bikes/?page_id=26)o'm'
(http://www.funnyjunk.com/)''s'
(http://www.freelineskates.com/) 'r'
(http://www.tlb.org/park-all.lowbw.mpg)'a'
(http://www.burntfaceman.com/)n'd'
(http://tinyurl.com/c1as)'o'
(http://www.cheese.com)'m'
(http://www.coverpop.com/whitney/index.php?var=v0)
'l'
(http://www.mediahug.com/bikes/)i'n'
(http://www.mediahug.com/almax/)k'a'
(http://www.bakedbeans.com)'g'
(http://www.joecartoon.com/)e's'
(http://www.break.com/)
tomtrevor's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12118

Old August 17th 06, 12:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unitoon

zachjowi wrote:
I am freemounting with my left foot. I will try to mount with my right
next time

harder than it sounds. i've always mounted with my left foot and now i
can't mount with my right unless i'm practically hanging on to
something for dear life.

i had the same problem with turning, except not only could i not turn
right, it was hard for me to NOT turn left. i ended up realizing it was
because i was learning on a driveway that was slanting toward the left.
it was sort of a blessing in disguise, though, because it helped me
learn to unicycle on bumpy grassy offroad areas. if i turned left, i
would end up going down this tiny hill and on the grass around the
house. ;D

--
unitoon
unitoon's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12011

Old August 17th 06, 01:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unicycle dave

PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE
it will come just keep practicing going around a pole

--
unicycle dave

unicycle for Christ
unicycle dave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10416

Old August 17th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
monkeyman

unitoon wrote:
harder than it sounds. i've always mounted with my left foot and now i
can't mount with my right unless i'm practically hanging on to
something for dear life.

You'll get the hang of it...after you get good at jumping/stalling, and
have good control over the uni, it gets a lot easier to learn.

Most of unicycling seems to be like that...totally unrelated skills
help each other out.

To the OP: I learned with a fence on my right side, so I had the same
problem...U-turn's pole idea definitely sounds great (it's also a load
of fun once you get good at it).....I'm surprised I've never seen that
idea come up in one of these threads

--
monkeyman

Alex, MR addict.

THE dave wrote:
walruses are awesome... they just chill with their tusks and stuff...

sobriquet wrote:
If this joke were a sandwich it would be the wurst.

monkeyman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11455