RR: A Royal Mess

Old September 13th 06, 05:52 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

Default RR: A Royal Mess

small change wrote:
"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
small change wrote:
Ride-A-Lot wrote:

We were prepared, but it was still cold. I needed some
mountaineering
training for my Mountain Bike Patrol certification anyway.

this things been quoted so many times I may have messed up the
attributions... however *whomever* posted this, what training are you
getting for MBP? Some patrol use OEC ( Outdoors Emergency Care), just
wondering.

There's some mountaineering first aid course they signed me up for being
taught by the ski patrol and some other S&R group. It might be the same
thing you are thinking of. The result is (although I am already
certified) is that if I could ski well enough (I can't) I could be a ski
patroller. Back East you didn't need to go through all of this extra
stuff. I'm not sure it was necessary, but the course was $40 and it
usually is $170.

Most like OEC if it's run by the ski patrol, and yes, it could be very
necessary. Outdoors Emergency Care - stabilizing and dealing with injuries
outside of an easy-access to EMS situations. This is much more beyond
"first aid" than you can ever imagine, and you will learn a lot.
What certification do you have? EMT? Paramedic? or just Red Cross first
aid... that's light years below the other training.

Still just the Red Cross first aid, resuscitation, and AED. It was all
good enough for the flatlands (like I'm gonna be carrying an AED around
with me). I am looking forward to the training.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old September 13th 06, 01:48 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Tom Purvis

MattB wrote:
I know that lean-to. That's the start of a fun DH trail, I've been told.
I need to give it a try sometime.

That would be Green's Creek. If that's what they actually did.

There's some DH-level stuff just at the beginning, if you actually ride
it all. But even if you aren't up to that, you can walk all the really
gnarly stuff in just a little while and then it becomes a really nice,
pretty bit of singletrack. Not a bad bailout, even if you don't have
full Ninja Turtle gear on...
--
Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/
Want a new hydration pack? Get one CHEAP 9-13-06 at 9:19 AM PDT:

Old September 14th 06, 07:32 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Per Löwdin

Hail would have felt good. Better than sleet pounding you sideways with a
30 mile an hour wind. Then the thunder snow. Twice, Monarch has ruined
my ride! Now I'm mad.

- hmm, really dangerous, you are lucky you just got your ride ruined, being
on an exposed ridge in a thunder storm is often lethal.

Per
http://lowdin.nu

Old September 14th 06, 07:39 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

Per Löwdin wrote:
Hail would have felt good. Better than sleet pounding you sideways with a
30 mile an hour wind. Then the thunder snow. Twice, Monarch has ruined
my ride! Now I'm mad.

- hmm, really dangerous, you are lucky you just got your ride ruined, being
on an exposed ridge in a thunder storm is often lethal.

Per
http://lowdin.nu

We hid under a clump of trees (notice I didn't say 'A' tree).

It's not the first time I have been out on the mountain and a
thunderstorm has rolled through. I am sure it will not be the last time
either.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old September 14th 06, 08:01 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
small change

http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_...lities_us.html

Old September 14th 06, 09:00 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

small change wrote:
"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
Per Löwdin wrote:
Hail would have felt good. Better than sleet pounding you sideways with
a 30 mile an hour wind. Then the thunder snow. Twice, Monarch has
ruined my ride! Now I'm mad.
- hmm, really dangerous, you are lucky you just got your ride ruined,
being on an exposed ridge in a thunder storm is often lethal.

Per
http://lowdin.nu

We hid under a clump of trees (notice I didn't say 'A' tree).

It's not the first time I have been out on the mountain and a thunderstorm
has rolled through. I am sure it will not be the last time either.

http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_...lities_us.html

I thought Colorado was number one. Damn those Texans!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old September 14th 06, 10:01 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Corvus Corvax

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

I thought Colorado was number one. Damn those Texans!

Check the population-weighted statistics. Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado
are the top three. You have now had no fewer than four people point out
what a foolish risk you were taking, and it still doesn't seem to have
sunk in.

Enjoy your Darwin Award.

CC

Old September 14th 06, 10:22 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Shawn Curry

Corvus Corvax wrote:
Ride-A-Lot wrote:

I thought Colorado was number one. Damn those Texans!

Check the population-weighted statistics. Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado
are the top three. You have now had no fewer than four people point out
what a foolish risk you were taking, and it still doesn't seem to have
sunk in.

Enjoy your Darwin Award.

Funny that I got my respect for lightning from where Mitch used to ride.
As a kid, I lived in Newark, DE. A street light got hit as I was
riding under it, and our house got hit. I'm a Colorado lightning wuss now.

Shawn
Old September 14th 06, 10:23 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

Corvus Corvax wrote:
Ride-A-Lot wrote:
I thought Colorado was number one. Damn those Texans!

Check the population-weighted statistics. Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado
are the top three. You have now had no fewer than four people point out
what a foolish risk you were taking, and it still doesn't seem to have
sunk in.

Enjoy your Darwin Award.

CC

Oh, it sunk in. Keep in mind that weather can turn here within a few
minutes. There was no forecast for thunder snow on the day we road. I
do try to get my rides in early to avoid the Colorado phenomenon of
afternoon thunderstorms. They are usually like clock work starting at
2:45 PM.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old September 14th 06, 11:27 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Shawn Curry

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
Corvus Corvax wrote:

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

I thought Colorado was number one. Damn those Texans!

Check the population-weighted statistics. Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado
are the top three. You have now had no fewer than four people point out
what a foolish risk you were taking, and it still doesn't seem to have
sunk in.
Enjoy your Darwin Award.
CC

Oh, it sunk in. Keep in mind that weather can turn here within a few
minutes. There was no forecast for thunder snow on the day we road. I
do try to get my rides in early to avoid the Colorado phenomenon of
afternoon thunderstorms. They are usually like clock work starting at
2:45 PM.

Keep in mind that higher up that time gets much earlier. 11:30-12:30,
especially this aeyr in Chaffe Cty.

Shawn