Do vintage Campy BB cups come in different thicknesses?

Old December 24th 04, 03:50 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Donald- The "Record"
bottom brackets were also used for the 144 bcd triple cranksets up
through 1977 with the Nuovo Record Triple. Read more about it here :
BRBR

Actually, last year for 144mm BCD cranks, via SuperRecord was 1987. 50th
anniversary was introduced in 1983, same year Tullio died.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old December 26th 04, 11:41 AM
Waal

"Phil Brown" skrev i en meddelelse
Well, yes and no....

The Older Record BBs did not have the internal reverse threads and
they will only work with Old Record spindles.

The later Nuovo Record BBs had the internal reverse threads and they
will only work with the Nuovo Record spindles.

Whichever set you try to use will give the same problem, which is due
to the fact that the English BB shell was a bit too narrow. I wonder
what "standard" it conformed to?

Old 65mm shell. The Record (track) 65P110 spindle is still in catalog no.17.
Michael

You can use any cup with any spindle even though they may not be "correct"

for
each other. Some BB/chainline problems can be solved that way.
Phil Brown

Old December 28th 04, 02:50 AM
Jim Adney

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 12:41:14 +0100 "Waal" wrote:

Whichever set you try to use will give the same problem, which is due
to the fact that the English BB shell was a bit too narrow. I wonder
what "standard" it conformed to?

Old 65mm shell. The Record (track) 65P110 spindle is still in catalog no.17.

Thanks, having never paid much attention to track stuff, I was never
aware of that, but, sure enough, there it is. Hmmm, 65mm, interesting.

OTOH, I went downstairs and measured one of my Davis Components cast
bottom bracket shells, and they measure 67mm, or 2-5/8". My Jackson
frames are out in the cold right now and are hard to get to, but
2-5/8" is what my rather imperfect memory tells me they were. So I'm
still guessing that this was some oddball inch dimension British
standard that was about as close to 68mm as they could bring
themselves to be.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA