Getting into framebuilding

Old December 24th 04, 08:28 PM
Jacobe Hazzard

Default Getting into framebuilding

If I wanted to build some interesting bike frames for my own
entertainment, what would be the easiest way to get into it? The
cheapest? Welding? What type of welder? Brazing?

I have some background as a mechanic/engineer, I can solder quite well
but have never welded, and have only brazed one or two things in a
plumbing context. I have lots of old bike frames with varying quality
tubing that I intend to use as sacrificial metal to practice with. I
have equipment to cut and shape the tubing, and was thinking of renting
a welder or an oxyacetalene torch for a while to try and get some technique.

I've read a couple tutorials and FAQs but I'm curious what people who've
done this think is the best way for a beginner. Thanks,

Adam
Old December 24th 04, 09:36 PM

Jacobe Hazzard wrote:
If I wanted to build some interesting bike frames for my own
entertainment, what would be the easiest way to get into it? The
cheapest? Welding? What type of welder? Brazing?

snip

I've read a couple tutorials and FAQs but I'm curious what people

who've
done this think is the best way for a beginner. Thanks,

Adam

I'm about your level of skill, although I have brazed a couple chunks
of frame together (including a Colnago lug at a Match seminar a couple
years back).

My plan: buy a cheap oxyacetylene rig and then start cooking. Renting
is ungodly expensive, and practice simply takes time. See if the local
community college offers weekend seminars- at least talk to the
instructor.

A good resource is the Framebuilder's list:
Have a look through the archives- your questions have probably been
answered already.

Jeff

Old December 24th 04, 09:57 PM
Leo Lichtman

"Jacobe Hazzard" wrote: If I wanted to build some interesting bike frames
for my own entertainment, what would be the easiest way to get into it? The
cheapest? Welding? What type of welder? Brazing? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Let's stop thinking about *cheapest.* You are talking about a field which
requires a lot of skill and knowlege--let's talk about which are the right
tools, and how to learn. I would begin by buying a small Victor
oxyacetylene outfit. For welding, brazing or silver soldering, there is not
a better beginning. Next, I would learn to use the torch on projects other
than bike frames. Collect some scrap steel, and play with it until you are
completely comfortable with the processes. Bike frames are require special
techniques for heat control, since the strength of the tubing adjacent to
the joints can be reduced by the heat.

Even if you never reach the point where you have made a good bike frame, you
will have a delightful new way to spend shop time, to do repairs, and to
make things. I don't see how anyone can get along without a welding torch.

Why do I suggest Victor? They are among the very best, and the tips and
accessories are available everywhere. If you decide to go cheap, you will
be dealing with regulators that drift, valves that leak or don't open
smoothly, and lots of little problems that you really don't need while you
are learning.

Also, start following sci.engr.joining.welding You can learn a lot from the
questions and answers that are posted there, and you will have access to
some very helpful and skillful people.

Old December 24th 04, 11:05 PM
Frank Knox

"Jacobe Hazzard" wrote in message
If I wanted to build some interesting bike frames for my own
entertainment, what would be the easiest way to get into it? The
cheapest? Welding? What type of welder? Brazing?

I have some background as a mechanic/engineer, I can solder quite well
but have never welded, and have only brazed one or two things in a
plumbing context. I have lots of old bike frames with varying quality
tubing that I intend to use as sacrificial metal to practice with. I
have equipment to cut and shape the tubing, and was thinking of renting
a welder or an oxyacetalene torch for a while to try and get some

technique.

I've read a couple tutorials and FAQs but I'm curious what people who've
done this think is the best way for a beginner. Thanks,

Adam

This may interest you.
http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/Suzy...ike_frame.html

Old December 29th 04, 12:26 AM

Jacobe Hazzard wrote:

I've read a couple tutorials and FAQs but I'm curious what people

who've
done this think is the best way for a beginner. Thanks,

My advice is to buy an oxy-acetylene or oxy-LPG brazing setup, buy an
assortment of good quality files (my faves are an 8" half-round second
cut and a 10" half-round second cut), hacksaw, something to hold tubes
with, and some brazing rod or silver solder, and go for it.

I've done this myself (currently working on my third frame) and wrote a
bit of a blurb on my experiences with the first one, at
http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~sjackson/frame.html. It's by no means an
exhaustive tutorial, but does show how I did it.

The framebuilders list is also a good resource, as are the catalogues
available online from Ceeway (www.framebuilding.com), Henry James
(www.henryjames.com), etc.

Best of luck. Framebuilding isn't nearly as difficult as you probably
think it is, and is very rewarding.

Regards,

Suzy