SKS front fender on fork with recessed nut

Old November 15th 05, 01:40 AM
Gary Jacobson

Default SKS front fender on fork with recessed nut

"john" wrote in message
oups.com...
Gary's idea is similar to what I have considered to mount "tire
savers". My idea was more along the lines of an internally expanding
plug. But I think Gary's is better, simpler, and lighter. Plus now that
I think about, I'm not sure that the plug could get enough purchase
below the brake bolt. The consequence of failure is not good.

Thanks Gary, John

I have also used Velox handlebar plugs, and even a rubber crutch tip with an
expander wedge to do the job. But once I drilled a hole in the crutch tip
for the brake bolt I realized the uselessness of that idea.

I have also simply hung the fender from the angle bracket attached inside of
the fork crown to the brake bolt. In that case I used nylon spacers for and
aft to keep the angle bracket from floating on the brake bolt.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old November 15th 05, 08:13 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Stephen Greenwood wrote:
The instruction manual for the SKS fenders (model P45) indicates that
the mounting bracket on the front fender should be installed behind the
fork crown. However, the fork on my bicycle has a recessed Allen-head
nut, which apparently renders this impossible. The obvious solution is
to position the fender's bracket in front of the fork crown. The
drawback to doing this is that it alters the position of the fender
from the one for which it was designed. I plan to make a mudflap, so I
don't anticipate that being a serious problem. But since there are many
fork crowns with recessed nuts, I wonder, is there some specialized nut
for this purpose? Or, is there a better way to deal with the problem
than moving the bracket to the front of the crown? Thank you.

You could drill the underside of the crown, if there is space, and tap
it for a bolt. That's what Thorn do. Of course, they build the bikes
so can warranty them!
Old November 17th 05, 12:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Stephen Greenwood wrote:
The instruction manual for the SKS fenders (model P45) indicates that
the mounting bracket on the front fender should be installed behind the
fork crown. However, the fork on my bicycle has a recessed Allen-head
nut, which apparently renders this impossible. The obvious solution is
to position the fender's bracket in front of the fork crown. The
drawback to doing this is that it alters the position of the fender
from the one for which it was designed. I plan to make a mudflap, so I
don't anticipate that being a serious problem. But since there are many
fork crowns with recessed nuts, I wonder, is there some specialized nut
for this purpose? Or, is there a better way to deal with the problem
than moving the bracket to the front of the crown? Thank you.

Drill or poke two holes in the fender. One goes in front of the
fork crown and one behind. Then loop a zip tie through the
holes and around one leg of the crown. It doesn't look very
elegant, but it works well.