zip ties and mudguards

Old November 16th 05, 11:33 AM
Jon_H

Default zip ties and mudguards

I went out yesterday and got pretty wet even though it wasn't raining. I am
looking to fit some full size mudguards to my fixie which has eyelets ate
the rear but not on the forks. Will zip ties (cable ties) hold them on the
front fork securely.

cheers
Jon_H

Old November 16th 05, 11:45 AM
Michael Dart

Jon_H wrote:
I went out yesterday and got pretty wet even though it wasn't
raining. I am looking to fit some full size mudguards to my fixie
which has eyelets ate the rear but not on the forks. Will zip ties
(cable ties) hold them on the front fork securely.

cheers
Jon_H

Can you pop a starnut up into the fork steerer as a mounting point? That's
how mtb front fenders are installed. Some also use a rubber expansion plug

Mike

Old November 16th 05, 01:49 PM
Jon_H

"Michael Dart" wrote in message
Jon_H wrote:
I went out yesterday and got pretty wet even though it wasn't
raining. I am looking to fit some full size mudguards to my fixie
which has eyelets ate the rear but not on the forks. Will zip ties
(cable ties) hold them on the front fork securely.

cheers
Jon_H

Can you pop a starnut up into the fork steerer as a mounting point?

That's
how mtb front fenders are installed. Some also use a rubber expansion

plug

Mike

I don't think their is enough room as the forks and brake won't leave much
room for the mudguard which will require a little modification before
fitting anyway.
cheers
Jon_H

Old November 16th 05, 06:59 PM
Jay Beattie

"Jon_H" wrote in message
I went out yesterday and got pretty wet even though it wasn't

raining. I am
looking to fit some full size mudguards to my fixie which has

eyelets ate
the rear but not on the forks. Will zip ties (cable ties) hold

them on the
front fork securely.

Zip ties will do O.K., but I prefer using rubber coated or
plastic clamps that go around the fork blade and stay put. You
can get these at your hardwar store. They work well with round
section forks but take a little work with aero shapes. These are
not easy on, easy off. If that is what you want, go with the SKS
Race Blades or something like them. -- Jay Beattie.

Old November 16th 05, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I use 35mm Zefal full size fenders which are indeed attached to eyelets
in back and zipped in front. It works better if you use two zips per
side. This picture should explain it:
http://static.flickr.com/24/63979138_d03ba8c4b8.jpg

Has held up for many thousand miles, but I always carry half a dozen
spare zipties in the Camelpack just "in case"--they're great little
problem solvers.

Old November 16th 05, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

maxo Wrote:
I use 35mm Zefal full size fenders which are indeed attached to eyelets
in back and zipped in front. It works better if you use two zips per
side. This picture should explain it:
http://static.flickr.com/24/63979138_d03ba8c4b8.jpg

Has held up for many thousand miles, but I always carry half a dozen
spare zipties in the Camelpack just "in case"--they're great little
problem solvers.

Great picture to illustrate "how to".
I used the white zip ties too until I found the black ones with UV
stabilization held up better. The white Zip Ties are plenty strong,
but the ones I had cracked after lots of exposure to the sun.... and
who knows what else affected them.

--
daveornee

Old November 16th 05, 11:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Mine are "milk" colored I'll have you know and they haven't become
brittle at all. Best quality that the local dollar store has to offer,
found them between the Vienna sausages and the tire cleaner. High class
stuff.