Nexus 7 gear lever

Old March 21st 06, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Nexus 7 gear lever

Dear All,

Does anyone know where I might obtain a Nexus 7 speed thumb shifter?

I know I can get twist grip shifters but I'm not a great fan!

Thanks in advance!

Nick

Old March 22nd 06, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

You should try Sachs. An 8sp one will work just as well I believe,
though I await a barrage of "Oh no it won't............" :-)

BigRab

Old March 22nd 06, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Old March 22nd 06, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Thanks!

Is the Sachs lever intended for use on their internal gear hubs?

Do you know anyone that sells their stuff?

I should have perhaps made it clear that I am intending to use it on my
Nexus 7 internal gear hub.

Cheers,

Nick

Old March 22nd 06, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
wrote:

Dear All,

Does anyone know where I might obtain a Nexus 7 speed thumb shifter?

I've got a feeling that the cable pull is the normal amount (but in the
opposite direction), so anything to do standard 7 speed shifting will
do. There's no official thumb shifter available AFAIK, so let's hope
that's the case.

Looking at the Shimano site gives the ST-7S20 as the 7-Speed Shifter for
the Nexus hub, details at
http://tinyurl.com/nalc2 (Full URL is 274
chars long!). A quick google for the product ID has some for sale in the
USA, but I couldn't spot one over here. That's not to say your LBS
couldn't get one on order for you.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into yours and join the fun!
(Done ...)
Old March 23rd 06, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look!

Thanks for everyone's input!

I've toyed with the idea of using a non Nexus shifter but I believe the
amount of cable pull can differ considerably between different
shifters. I believe that internal hubs, other than Rohloff ones, rely
on precise indexing at the shifter for them to work properly.

I guess it would be possible to engineer a solution with a bit of
effort.

Regards,

Nick

Chain 'slipping' - cause? Peewiglet UK 14 November 27th 05 08:59 PM
I need STI lever Aleks Techniques 0 November 4th 05 08:17 PM
Shimano Nexus 8-speed Hubs Sheldon Brown Marketplace 38 February 15th 05 03:45 AM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
STI Still good? or Repair? or Replace knowwhen2holdemknowwhen2foldem General 5 June 26th 04 10:59 PM