What is your favorite seat cushion material?

Old February 13th 07, 05:51 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Joel

Default What is your favorite seat cushion material?

Many of us have gone through many different seat cushion materials to
find the ultimate comfort. I have tried Open Cell Foam, Ventist type
open type weave, but have not tried the new fad Zotefoam. I found the
Open Cell the most comfortable in Spring and Fall, as far as sweat goes.
But in the summer the Ventist Air Flow Cushion keeps me drier, but it
isn't a soft feel. What have you tried and which is your favorite? For
those not understanding what Ventist type seat is below is a link to a
photo.
Ventist type seat cushion
http://tinyurl.com/2frsam
Open Cell Foam
http://tinyurl.com/22btdf
Old February 13th 07, 09:13 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Joel wrote:
Many of us have gone through many different seat cushion materials to
find the ultimate comfort. I have tried Open Cell Foam, Ventist type
open type weave, but have not tried the new fad Zotefoam. I found the
Open Cell the most comfortable in Spring and Fall, as far as sweat goes.
But in the summer the Ventist Air Flow Cushion keeps me drier, but it
isn't a soft feel. What have you tried and which is your favorite? For
those not understanding what Ventist type seat is below is a link to a
photo.
Ventist type seat cushion
http://tinyurl.com/2frsam
Open Cell Foam
http://tinyurl.com/22btdf

I ordered 2" thick open cell foam from BentUpCycles for an Optima
seat, expecting to receive small trim to fit the outline of the seat;
but it was sold untrimmed. It arrived in a big roll instead, so I
just put it on the seat to see if it would fit and where to trim it.
I did not have to!

It fit nearly perfectly, the frame held the foam at the bottom, and a
fairing held the top. Since it is 2' wide it fit my velomobile
perfectly.

Eventually I rounded the upper corners because I wanted to get behind
the seat to the rack. That material is so soft/cushy/easy to move or
shape, that open cell foam was soon my favorite. I highly recommend
it- especially if you dislike trimming - as I do!

Old February 13th 07, 09:49 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Joel

wrote:
Joel wrote:
[...]

Open Cell foam is so easy to trim while right on the bike. I used an
electric knife on my last recumbent bike.
Old February 14th 07, 03:54 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
gotbent

"Joel" joelw135atcomcast.net wrote in message
. ..
Many of us have gone through many different seat cushion materials to find
the ultimate comfort. I have tried Open Cell Foam, Ventist type open type
weave, but have not tried the new fad Zotefoam. I found the Open Cell the
most comfortable in Spring and Fall, as far as sweat goes. But in the
summer the Ventist Air Flow Cushion keeps me drier, but it isn't a soft
feel. What have you tried and which is your favorite? For those not
understanding what Ventist type seat is below is a link to a photo.
Ventist type seat cushion
http://tinyurl.com/2frsam
Open Cell Foam
http://tinyurl.com/22btdf

My favorite seat pad has and is still Supracor. Very expensive, but hey, my
ass it worth it. I have a slab of it in the airflow bag on the Speedmachine.
The original airflow from HP is too hard for my comfort. I also have a naked
piece as a cushion on the Sunset. I had a piece over the foam pad on my
V-REX too. The stuff seems to be some sort of indestructable urethane. It
isn't affected by sweat and seems to resist UV degradation too. If I could
I'd buy a slab from Supracor and sut it up as I need it, but my LBS does
adaptive vehicles and usually stocks some at only a 50% markup.

Old February 14th 07, 07:17 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Joel

gotbent wrote:
[...]

Never heard of this stuff, I will do a search and find out about it.

Old February 14th 07, 07:24 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Joel

Joel wrote:
gotbent wrote:
[...]

I just went to there web site, the stuff looks like it would do a great
job, but it doesn't come cheap. A 24 X 24 X 1" is $126.00 US, and I
would like to do a hard shell seat with it. Or am I wrong with price?
Old February 14th 07, 08:58 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
gotbent

Joel wrote:
gotbent wrote:
[...]

What I am using is the SBS-6 @$147/sheet, but I buy it from my LBS and he
marks it up, but he also has a Swiss hot knife to cut it. It's not something
you can cut with a bread knife. I needed two 'chunks' and I had to butcher
up my VREX pad to make the cushion for my Speedmachine. You can believe the
hype in Supracor's literature. The material mimics adipose tissue and is
probably as close to body fat as a synthetic can be. The stuff is quite a
technological feat. Strips of urethane are bonded into a hexagonal
honeycomb. The walls are perforated and as are the bottom facings. The SBS-6
has a dual durometer. Beige (.75") and green (.25") with a facing on both
sides of the green. I took a tiny snippet left over from my customization to
the leather shop that did the gussets on the Greenspeed fabric that I use on
the Sunset and they were able to cut it with a pair of super sharp scissors
they use to cut leather. I never called Supracor, but I supposse if you want
a full sheet a phone call might get them to sell you some directly. BTW I
just stuffed the two pieces into the airflow bag. The stuff is too expensive
to cut a chunk on a diagonal to make it long enough for a hardshell seat.

Old February 15th 07, 01:17 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Joel

Joel wrote:
gotbent wrote:
[...]

Well we will see if Supracor gets back to me, but I highly doubt it. I
can't believe how expensive that stuff is. But it does have great
characteristics.

Old February 15th 07, 08:47 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Joel

Freewheeling wrote:
Joel wrote:
Many of us have gone through many different seat cushion materials to
find the ultimate comfort. I have tried Open Cell Foam, Ventist type
open type weave, but have not tried the new fad Zotefoam. I found the
Open Cell the most comfortable in Spring and Fall, as far as sweat
goes. But in the summer the Ventist Air Flow Cushion keeps me drier,
but it isn't a soft feel. What have you tried and which is your
favorite? For those not understanding what Ventist type seat is below
is a link to a photo.
Ventist type seat cushion
http://tinyurl.com/2frsam
Open Cell Foam
http://tinyurl.com/22btdf

What is Zotefoam?

Here is a picture of Zotefoam: http://tinyurl.com/yyfbcg

Not sure where this fits, but seems to be RBR material Bill C Racing 6 December 21st 06 03:29 PM
Brooks 'Seat sandwich' material? Jasper Janssen Techniques 3 March 14th 06 07:20 PM
New frame material J General 10 May 27th 05 02:57 PM
New bike material Todd General 2 April 22nd 05 02:37 PM
Best material for frame! Zilla Mountain Biking 7 October 20th 03 02:07 PM