scorpion recumbent trike

Old February 16th 07, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

Default scorpion recumbent trike

gotbent wrote:

A couple of major differences between the Trice and the Scorp are the wider
mesh seat on the Trice

Tricen Q and T are now both available with a hardshell or mesh seat.

the rear suspension bits. The Scorp uses, I believe a DNM coil/shock (in my
experience the DNMs are made from rotting cheese and are supplied as stock
to help people avoid passing out from sticker shock.

I think that's what's on my Streetmachine. It's kept me nice and
comfy for the least few years and shows no signs of dying at all,
not bad for "rotting cheese"! There's nothing much to go wrong
with it either. Not very Bling! I'll grant you, but hey ho.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old February 16th 07, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

Erik Sandblom wrote:

I was quite taken by how low the Scorpion was. It gave a lot of road
feel, and I really liked that. So the SpeedMachine might be better for
me to try than the StreetMachine, since it is lower.

Yes, and now it's available with better touring options than used
to be the case it'll do most of the same jobs. Last one I tried
was the underseat steering one, and it worked very nicely even if
it won't be quite so quick and maybe loses a little in the looks
department.

Pete.
Old February 16th 07, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
gotbent

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
gotbent wrote:

A couple of major differences between the Trice and the Scorp are the
wider mesh seat on the Trice

Tricen Q and T are now both available with a hardshell or mesh seat.

the rear suspension bits. The Scorp uses, I believe a DNM coil/shock (in
my experience the DNMs are made from rotting cheese and are supplied as
stock to help people avoid passing out from sticker shock.

I think that's what's on my Streetmachine. It's kept me nice and comfy
for the least few years and shows no signs of dying at all, not bad for
"rotting cheese"! There's nothing much to go wrong with it either. Not
very Bling! I'll grant you, but hey ho.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

I think your Mr. Larrington recently reported over on BROL land that the
cheese made DNM on his Speedmachine went titsup, as did the DMN on my
Speedmachine, and mine was equipped with the more expensive model. One day
mine decided to reject air molecules and no longer provided any damping,
which the spring bit dearly needs in order to act in a suspensionish manner.
I wish yours well,and hope that you can keep it out of the way of voles and
such.

When I inquired at a local mountain bike speciality dealer, where suspension
gear isn't a rarity as it is to most cycling dealers, about the possibility
of obtaining some sort of rebuild kit for my bit of cheese, I was met with a
derisive question about what kind of KMart bike I had.

Old February 17th 07, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
squeaker

On 16 Feb, 21:11, "gotbent" wrote:
I think your Mr. Larrington recently reported over on BROL land that the
cheese made DNM on his Speedmachine went titsup, as did the DMN on my
Speedmachine, and mine was equipped with the more expensive model. One day
mine decided to reject air molecules and no longer provided any damping,
which the spring bit dearly needs in order to act in a suspensionish manner.
I wish yours well,and hope that you can keep it out of the way of voles and
such.

When I inquired at a local mountain bike speciality dealer, where suspension
gear isn't a rarity as it is to most cycling dealers, about the possibility
of obtaining some sort of rebuild kit for my bit of cheese, I was met with a
derisive question about what kind of KMart bike I had.

DNM DV22 is 'inexpensive', available in the shorter length that HPV
uses on its bikes / trikes, BUT IMHO the quality is, a best,
'variable'. The one on my Mistral makes lavatorial flushing noises in
use, but still has damping, whereas the one on my Grasshopper gave up
any serious damping after ~500 miles and had to be replaced with a
nicely engineered DT Swiss (no longer made, but still affordable at
ChainReaction, last time I looked). A demo Mistral I tried also had a
very lightly damped DV22.

Old February 17th 07, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
squeaker

On 16 Feb, 15:49, "Erik Sandblom" wrote:

Then there's the issue of getting it in and out of the basement. I need to
measure that carefully. Perhaps tilting the trike on edge?

Definitely need to watch this one. I have just acquired a Trice 'S'
to see if I prefer it for touring / commuting compared with an HPV
Grasshopper. My garage side door is on the narrow side, and because
of a large step down, any of my bikes get carried in / out. The bikes
get carried in the horizontal position, with just a wiggle with the
handlebars to get them in, but but the Trice goes in angled towards
the vertical - rear wheel uppermost - just. Generally I think you'd
find a SWB 20/20 OSS 'bent easiest, due to the smaller width. But if
a trike 'floats your boat' then you might find it worth the struggle -
happy hunting!

Old February 19th 07, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Dave Larrington

In ,
gotbent tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:

I think your Mr. Larrington recently reported over on BROL land that
the cheese made DNM on his Speedmachine went titsup, as did the DMN
on my Speedmachine, and mine was equipped with the more expensive
model. One day mine decided to reject air molecules and no longer
provided any damping, which the spring bit dearly needs in order to
act in a suspensionish manner. I wish yours well,and hope that you
can keep it out of the way of voles and such.

My first DNM lasted a good few years, the second seemed to be almost as bad
as the first from new. Like many people, I went to the Nice People at Chain
Reaction and got the DT Swiss:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=9733

The difference is astonishing.

The other nice thing about the Scorpion is that it's available with a
Schmidt hub dynamo.

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old February 19th 07, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Erik Sandblom

Den 2007-02-19 13:55:04 skrev Dave Larrington
:

The other nice thing about the Scorpion is that it's available with a
Schmidt hub dynamo.

Me and my wallet have also noticed that. The extra cost amounts to a sixth
of the base price of the trike. What is it about hubs that makes people
pay silly money for them? Why don't they sell a cheaper hub dynamo? I read
somewhere that any dynamo makes less resistance than an incline of 1 to
1000 or something like that. Unnoticeable.

On my hack bike, I have Reelights and a sidewall dynamo with integrated
light. It's a cheap and reliable combination, bright enough for unlit
paths, no cables, no batteries. The Reelights are silent and require no
batteries. The drag with two magnets per wheel is unnoticeable, even when
spinning the wheels with the bike upsidedown.

Erik Sandblom

--
Oil is for sissies
Old February 19th 07, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Clive George

"Erik Sandblom" wrote in message
newsp.tnz4auxmzubk0m@toshiba...

Me and my wallet have also noticed that. The extra cost amounts to a sixth
of the base price of the trike. What is it about hubs that makes people
pay silly money for them? Why don't they sell a cheaper hub dynamo?

You mean why don't they sell the shimano one? Because those people willing
to fork out for the scorpion are more likely to want the posh one?

I read somewhere that any dynamo makes less resistance than an incline of
1 to 1000 or something like that. Unnoticeable.

I'd say sidewaill dynamos are rather worse than hub ones.

On my hack bike, I have Reelights and a sidewall dynamo with integrated
light. It's a cheap and reliable combination, bright enough for unlit
paths, no cables, no batteries. The Reelights are silent and require no
batteries. The drag with two magnets per wheel is unnoticeable, even when
spinning the wheels with the bike upsidedown.

I've probably got a rather better back light than you with my wired dynamo
system - cheap (homebrew) and as reliable as the dynamo (ie very with a hub,
less so with a sidewall).

cheers,
clive

Old February 19th 07, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Kristian Neitsch

Erik Sandblom wrote:
Den 2007-02-19 13:55:04 skrev Dave Larrington
:

The other nice thing about the Scorpion is that it's available with a
Schmidt hub dynamo.

Me and my wallet have also noticed that. The extra cost amounts to a sixth
of the base price of the trike. What is it about hubs that makes people
pay silly money for them? Why don't they sell a cheaper hub dynamo? I read
somewhere that any dynamo makes less resistance than an incline of 1 to
1000 or something like that. Unnoticeable.

Schmidt has constructed the SON XSM for HP Velotechnik exclusively. It
is IMO the only dynohub for this axletype. As a small batch it will cost
more. Schmidt is a company that will built special hub-models. Shimano
et. al. only produces for a mass market. The SON is the best hub
available and nearly life time (your life) service free.

On my hack bike, I have Reelights and a sidewall dynamo with integrated
light. It's a cheap and reliable combination, bright enough for unlit
paths, no cables, no batteries. The Reelights are silent and require no
batteries. The drag with two magnets per wheel is unnoticeable, even when
spinning the wheels with the bike upsidedown.

No one forces you to buy a SON.

Kristian, with DH3N70
--
GNUpg: C52868B0
Old February 19th 07, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

Clive George wrote:

You mean why don't they sell the shimano one? Because those people
willing to fork out for the scorpion are more likely to want the posh one?

No: Shimano don't do a hub (a) specifically for small wheels or, more
importantly, (b) a hub specifically for one sided wheel supports like
you get on a trike's pair.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

My Right To Ride My Recumbent Trike Chuck Recumbent Biking 14 January 2nd 06 10:54 PM
Recumbent trike Colin Blackburn UK 15 November 23rd 04 11:35 PM
FS: Sidewinder recumbent trike Texas Yankee Techniques 33 October 7th 04 02:40 AM
Recumbent trike Colin Blackburn UK 6 June 9th 04 02:46 PM
Help:DIY recumbent trike \(t'other\) Dave UK 8 April 20th 04 11:41 PM