Car Hits Pack of Cyclists in St. Pete

Old July 9th 03, 04:56 AM
EX Biker :-\)

Default Car Hits Pack of Cyclists in St. Pete

A vehicle hits, kills maims cyclists has gone on forever (Since vehicles
were invented) and will continue long after any of us present posters are
around. I myself have been involved in numerous bicycle / vehicle encounters
over my 45+ years of cycling. (On diamond and recumbent bikes) The last
major one, back in my bike courier days, screwed up my back, to where
operations were suggested, but that I had to sign a waver, in case certain
parts were forever numb, afterwards. Without the operation, I'd probably
never be on a bicycle again, so said the doctors back in the 70's. (Boy, did
I prove those Quacks wrong) The COOL dude (Drunk at the time) in his snazzy
73 Cadillac, that tuned into me at an intersection, was convicted and was
made to pay for my injuries, only to have the verdict appealed and reversed,
thanks to some of his corporate buddies that helped bail him and his
insurance company out) In the end, I was made out to be the villain or
person in the wrong and was almost threatened with a counter lawsuit, to fix
the idiots damaged Cadillac! There in, is the really SAD (Or SUCK) issue
here; in that usually the vehicle operator will get off for their little boo
boo driving mishap. The odds are clearly not in cyclists favor. We had one
of our original first recumbent riders down here in South Florida, riding on
a wide lane thoroughfare, (With plenty of room everywhere) get nailed out of
the blue by an idiot that apparently fell asleep at the wheel. The A hole
got off, basically because he had a lot of money and hired the best lawyers
money could buy and beat the (What I would call) negligent vehicle homicide,
by BIG $$$. It won't surprise me if this latest jerk, won't beat the rap
either. In the meantime those maimed cyclists will get to endure months,
maybe years of agonizing recovery and rehabilitation; while this pill
popping goof, is probably already back on the streets pill popping,
boogieing along.

I also take issue with the earlier posters statement, (Copied directly from
the post) .experienced groups are saferthatn riding alone in almost all
situations. THe use of Double pacelines and its varients are not the
problem. "experienced groups are safer than riding alone in almost all
situations.

NOPE! (I disagree) I have no doubt, that the bunch that were hit, were
probably very seasoned, road / traffic savvy cyclists. If a 5000+ pound
vehicle suddenly careens out of control and heads without warning into you,
it would make no difference if you were an experienced single cyclist, or in
a group or whatever. Having said that, I still believe (IMHO) in my 45+
years of road cycling experience, (Doing the pace line stuff too) cycling
alone (In traffic) has its advantages. You at least have a very SLIGHT
CHANCE of trying to counter steer one way or another, stop or at least try
and slow down to avoid a vehicle confrontation, as opposed to being in a
close pace line, where one mistake could have 5,6,7 or more cyclists coming
up on top of you (Accordion style) or you smacking into the cyclist next to
you, via the double pace line, where numerous other cyclist will probably go
down like a stack of cards. Solo riding, at least for me, is the way to go,
at least in Broward County Florida (What use to be and may still be.) the
single most killing field for cyclists and pedestrians, in the world.

Sorry to say, but it's a very unfair world out there, especially when it
deals with cyclists (Motorcyclists as well) vs. vehicle operators.

EZ Biker :-) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

"SouthBayBent" wrote in message
om... IMHO
experienced groups are saferthatn riding alone in almost all
situations. THe use of Double pacelines and its varients are not the
problem. My prayers for speedy recoveries go out to the injured.
Rob

Old July 9th 03, 05:01 AM
EZ Biker :-\)

OOOPS, that should read EZ Biker not EX biker! I'm still biking, at an EZ
pace these days!

Old July 9th 03, 12:02 PM
di

It's not hard for me to admit I voted for the man, would do it again, many
times over if given the same choice again. Sorry folks, get over it, the
election is over, you lost, (several times, despite all attempts to steal it
all).

"ride your bike" wrote in message
. ..

"di" wrote in message
. ..
The guy I voted for won, and is president,

It's bad enough anyone would do that, but I can't believe you would admit
that in public.

Old July 9th 03, 02:05 PM
EZ Biker :-\)

This guy should be guilty as charged and will probably get away with it from
the sounds of his attitude.

South Pinellas Driver in bike crash blames water in eyes.url

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/07/08/So...e_crash_.shtml

Old July 9th 03, 02:31 PM
baronn1

You probably have bought a lot of swampland down there in Florida if you
think that the nation's economy reacts that quickly. Bush in, bottom lines
drop, you get laid off ...I see the connection clearly now.

"BoFrazer" wrote in message
om...
Beats me. We elected the wrong President!!

Whaddya mean WE? Our current president was never elected at all.

No, I'm NOT over it. I'm still unemployed since whatever happened to the
economy when Bush seized power. Bring back the blowjob liar president --
life was good then.

Peace,
Bo

sorry for the offtopic rant

Old July 9th 03, 02:56 PM
baronn1

Hang him.

A friend of mine was hit last week, an experienced DF rider on a two lane
state road with 10 foot wide shoulders. She was in the middle of that 10
foot shoulder. The driver admitted to her that he was talking on his cell
phone and drifted onto the shoulder. She luckily was hit by just his
rearview mirror, and sustained only minor injuries, but did need a couple of
stitches in her chin.
If I was in his position, you couldn't beat me to the bike shop. to get a
her a new bike, and hand it over along with reimbursement for out of pocket
expenses, and a waiver for her to sign.
Not this guy. At the scene the driver was apologetic, admitted fault, etc.
He even called an ambulance for her. But...now that it's time to pay her
medical bills and buy her a new bike, his response is "Get a lawyer".
There is just no such thing as accountability to so many people in this
country, it is scary.

Road or Sidewalk? K-Man General 74 June 19th 04 12:26 AM
Talk Radio Hosts Encourage Killing Cyclists Cycle America General 24 May 30th 04 01:53 AM
Risk Homeostasis - Drivers and Cyclists Robert Haston Social Issues 48 December 12th 03 04:56 PM
Aren't bicycles suposed to stop at stop signs? Ken General 85 September 22nd 03 11:22 PM
Do bicycles and cars mix? wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX General 62 September 13th 03 03:24 AM