the 2003 Cali-MUni week-end thread.

Old September 5th 03, 08:57 PM
tomblackwood

Default the 2003 Cali-MUni week-end thread.

johnfoss wrote:
*Over the years we've learned that age and skill level are much less a
factor than fitness level. Please ask more if you need more detail. *

John, thanks for such a detailed response. One of my worries was that
Downieville would be an all or nothing proposition, forcing me to choose
between riding it and bringing my son to the weekend.

One more question: aside from the terrain which you've answered, would
you characterize it as a "kid-friendly" weekend? Are other kids in the
8-12 range coming?

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

My other brake is my face!

Old September 5th 03, 10:47 PM
johnfoss

There are usually some kids at any MUni Weekend, but depending what
their riding level is, they may not be seen on the major rides. I also
have trouble every year figuring out how many youth T-shirts to
order...

So at events like Moab earlier this year, Beau may have been the only
kid out on the trail, but there were many others when we arrived back at
the campground or other group events. Beau seems to be okay with that.

People are going to be a little spread around this year, because there
simply isn't enough room at any one house for all the sleeping-baggers.
John Childs, Nathan and family, and the three guys from Texas will be at
John Hooten's, and the Boston guys (and possibly others) will be at
another house near Hootens. That's Granite Bay, which is quite a ways
away from my house, for example. The hotels I'm recommending (soon to be
posted) are 2-3 miles from my house. I could use another house to put
people at...

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
www.unicycling.com
________________

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

Old September 7th 03, 01:32 AM
tomblackwood

JF: Is there someplace I can e-mail you? It used to be listed...

Old September 9th 03, 01:16 AM
johnfoss

tomblackwood wrote:
*Is there someplace I can e-mail you? *

This seems to be a common problem. My email address is listed at the
bottom of every page on my Web site. I have the spam to prove it!
I'll fix that, after I get all the MUni Weekend info up. See next post
for more...

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
www.unicycling.com
________________

Old September 9th 03, 01:22 AM
johnfoss

Looking for a place to stay without someone's stinky feet potentially in
your face, and a bulldog not licking you at 4:30 am? The Accommodations
page is finally up:

http://www.unicycling.com/muni/2003/accommodations.htm

I have also updated the main page with some further information,
including a re-switch of ride locations for Friday and Saturday. Quick
rundown:

Friday, Oct. 17:
Rockville Hills Park. Trail riding in the morning, games in the
afternoon, group sushi dinner for those that are interested (not
included in registration).

Saturday, Oct. 18:
American River Confluence, Auburn. Confluence Uphill Race in the
morning, followed by trail rides. In the afternoon, we'll do more games
at either John Hooten's house, or on granite slabs along Folsom Lake.
Dinner at nearby Mark & Monica's Sports Bar, with a screening of
UNiVERsE 2 on five TVs at the same time! The menu will be a salad and
pizza buffet. The pizza is good.

Sunday, Oct. 19:
Downieville Downhill, as planned. In the unlikely but possible event of
snow, we may have to move this ride to a different location, TBA.
Remember, Downieville is a long drive, so you can't so the full ride and
also fly home Sunday evening.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"

Old September 9th 03, 02:06 AM
nathan

Ryan, that's great you can come. And of course you can come to as many
as you want. John just meant that some people wouldn't fly that far,
twice, close together. But Jeff Groves is an exceptional guy!

See you in Oct,
Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

Old September 9th 03, 04:12 AM
gerblefranklin

Is anyone driving through the San Francisco/bay area who'd be able (and
willing of course) to take an extra 14 year old and his 2 unicycles?
Please e-mail me at . Thanks.

--
gerblefranklin

If life had a meaning, would you want to know it?

gerblefranklin's Profile:
http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4295

Old September 9th 03, 06:30 AM
Dylan Wallinger

Jeez, I am totally broke. I dont know If I'll be able to make it, but
I'm still hoping. How important is it that we register ahead of time?

-Dylan

--
Dylan Wallinger
Dylan Wallinger's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3797

Old September 9th 03, 02:13 PM
onefiftyfour

I'm in for sushi. I love it.

-Eric

--
onefiftyfour - Eric
onefiftyfour's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3495

Old September 9th 03, 07:25 PM
johnfoss

Dylan Wallinger wrote:
*How important is it that we register ahead of time?*

Canadian riders don't need to send money ahead of time. Beyond that, the
most important part is knowing for sure who's coming. If you don't know
for sure, we can't help that. But you can keep me posted with your
plans, such as where you plan to stay, what rides you will do, and how
many/what sizes of shirt you're interested in.

For everyone else, registering ahead of time mostly saves time and
hassle on ride days. I will have to have signed releases from everyone
before we start, and the less of those we have to deal with in the
morning, the better.