Do vintage Campy BB cups come in different thicknesses?

Old December 20th 04, 02:34 AM

Default Do vintage Campy BB cups come in different thicknesses?

I'm building up my trusty old-but-just-refurbished Bob Jackson as an
all Campy period bike. I'm cannibalizing the Campy stuff from a bike
of the same age that is built with Columbus tubing. The BB shell of
the Columbus bike is about 2mm wider than the BB shell on the BJ. The
Campy BB spindle is 68-SS-120, and the adjustable cup protrudes from
the BJ BB shell more than I remember the old one used to. I'm pretty
sure that the spindle is the same as the one I used to use, which leads
me to wonder whether the cups were available in more than one thickness
(measured from the race side to the exterior surface? As it is, it
works - no interference with the inside of the left crank arm - but
looks odd.

TIA for any help!

Marc

Old December 20th 04, 03:57 AM
Sheldon Brown

I'm building up my trusty old-but-just-refurbished Bob Jackson as an
all Campy period bike. I'm cannibalizing the Campy stuff from a bike
of the same age that is built with Columbus tubing. The BB shell of
the Columbus bike is about 2mm wider than the BB shell on the BJ. The
Campy BB spindle is 68-SS-120, and the adjustable cup protrudes from
the BJ BB shell more than I remember the old one used to. I'm pretty
sure that the spindle is the same as the one I used to use, which leads
me to wonder whether the cups were available in more than one thickness
(measured from the race side to the exterior surface? As it is, it
works - no interference with the inside of the left crank arm - but
looks odd.

Yes, there were different thicknesses. The thicker ones had clever
"dirt expeller" threads surrounding the hole the spindle went through.
These threads would "unscrew" dirt and dust as the crank turned.

I think you can find the details at campyonly.com

I'm not a Campagnolo expert, but I believe the code on your spindle means:

68 mm bottom bracket shell, should be correct for a British bike like
your Jackson.

SS = "Strada" (road)

120 rear hub spacing.

Sheldon "Campgranola" Brown
| Promote the institution of marriage: |
| Make it available to all adults! |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old December 20th 04, 03:38 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Yes, the 68-SS-120 means english-road and ideally for a 120mm spaced rear end.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old December 20th 04, 04:19 PM

Thanks all!

Sheldon, I'm looking forward to showing you my bike when I'm done -
sent it back to Bob Jackson Cycles for a minor repair and new paint and
decals - looks great! I found an early 70s bike on eBay that had =/-
200 miles on it and had been in storage for over 30 years, so all Campy
equipment is in very nice shape! The recumbent is my bike for any
distance but the BJ will be the Sunday smell the roses nostalgia
ride...

Marc

Old December 23rd 04, 01:59 AM
Jim Adney

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:57:36 -0500 Sheldon Brown
wrote:

Yes, there were different thicknesses. The thicker ones had clever
"dirt expeller" threads surrounding the hole the spindle went through.
These threads would "unscrew" dirt and dust as the crank turned.

Well, yes and no....

The Older Record BBs did not have the internal reverse threads and
they will only work with Old Record spindles.

The later Nuovo Record BBs had the internal reverse threads and they
will only work with the Nuovo Record spindles.

Whichever set you try to use will give the same problem, which is due
to the fact that the English BB shell was a bit too narrow. I wonder
what "standard" it conformed to?

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Old December 24th 04, 02:08 AM
Phil Brown

Well, yes and no....

The Older Record BBs did not have the internal reverse threads and
they will only work with Old Record spindles.

The later Nuovo Record BBs had the internal reverse threads and they
will only work with the Nuovo Record spindles.

Whichever set you try to use will give the same problem, which is due
to the fact that the English BB shell was a bit too narrow. I wonder
what "standard" it conformed to?

You can use any cup with any spindle even though they may not be "correct" for
each other. Some BB/chainline problems can be solved that way.
Phil Brown
Old December 24th 04, 05:22 AM
A Muzi

-snip-
Donald Gillies wrote:
A columbus tubing bike probably takes an italian bottom bracket.

-snip-
Very early (1960's) campy bottom brackets in 151 bcd were "Campagnolo
Record" - not nuovo record, and they had thicker cups. The "Record"
bottom brackets were also used for the 144 bcd triple cranksets up
through 1977 with the Nuovo Record Triple. Read more about it here :
http://www.bicycleclassics.com/bottom.html

Almost.

The older BB (1046) cups were thin and Record. The improved
Nuovo Record BB (1046a) has the dirt-expelling grooves,
hence thicker cups.

Lots of US builders built Columbus with BSC shells.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old December 24th 04, 03:50 PM
Jim Adney

On 23 Dec 2004 14:50:04 -0800 (Donald Gillies)
wrote:

Jim Adney writes:

On 19 Dec 2004 18:34:35 -0800
wrote:

I'm building up my trusty old-but-just-refurbished Bob Jackson as an
all Campy period bike. I'm cannibalizing the Campy stuff from a bike
of the same age that is built with Columbus tubing. The BB shell of
the Columbus bike is about 2mm wider than the BB shell on the BJ.

A columbus tubing bike probably takes an italian bottom bracket.

JRJ Cycles is a British firm. They built with either Columpus or
Reynolds tubing depending on the model of the frame. In either case,
they used English threaded bottom bracket shells.

Very early (1960's) campy bottom brackets in 151 bcd were "Campagnolo
Record" - not nuovo record, and they had thicker cups. The "Record"
bottom brackets were also used for the 144 bcd triple cranksets up
through 1977 with the Nuovo Record Triple. Read more about it here :

You've either got this reversed, or you're talking about something
I've never seen. We're talking about the thickness of the "end" wall
of the cup, right?

Here's what I know:

Early Record (early 60s to maybe 69?) thin cups, no reverse helical
grooves.

Late Nuovo Record (maybe 69-on) thick cups, with the reverse helical
grooves. The reverse helical grooves were introduced with the Nuovo
Record line; I'm sure of this.

Was there an even earlier version of the Record that used thicker
cups? If so, I'm not familiar with it.

-
Jim Adney

Madison, WI 53711 USA