Shimano 10-speed Compatible Cassette on Campy Hub

Old December 26th 04, 05:46 PM
rodq

Default Shimano 10-speed Compatible Cassette on Campy Hub

I have a wheelset built on Campy 10/9 speed record hubs and would like
to be able to use it with my Shimano 10-speed bikes. I currently have a
9-speed record cassette on these wheels.

Does anyone know if anybody makes a cassette that would allow me to do
this? Is a Campy 10-speed cassette compatible with a Shimano 10-speed setup?

Thx,

Old December 26th 04, 09:32 PM
palewin

1) You cannot use a Campy cassette on a Shimano freehub, because the
spline patterns are different.
2) I don't know if there are any Shimano-splined Campy cassettes; I do
know that several companies make the reverse: a Campy-compatible
casette designed for Shimano splines.
3) You can order a Shimano-splined freehub from Campy, swap the
freehubs on your wheel, and you're good to go.
4) Lastly, I have read on the Bicycling Maintenance forum that you can
actually get away using a Campy 10 cassette with a Shimano 10 set-up,
but I don't know anyone who has tried, and I suspect shifting
performance would degrade, but maybe another poster can confirm or deny
this one.

--
palewin

Old December 27th 04, 02:09 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

rod- I have a wheelset built on Campy 10/9 speed record hubs and would like
to be able to use it with my Shimano 10-speed bikes. I currently have a
9-speed record cassette on these wheels. BRBR

Does anyone know if anybody makes a cassette that would allow me to do
this? BRBR

Yep, Campagnolo. The 10s spacing between the two is pretty dern close. If you
want exact and have a Campagnolo wheel that is 1998 or later, you can buy a
Campagnolo produced freeehub body that will bolt right on to your Campagnolo
hub that is shimano compatible.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old December 27th 04, 02:10 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

palewin- Lastly, I have read on the Bicycling Maintenance forum that you can
actually get away using a Campy 10 cassette with a Shimano 10 set-up,
but I don't know anyone who has tried, and I suspect shifting
performance would degrade, but maybe another poster can confirm or deny
this one. BRBR

Now you know two-Andy Muzi and me..shifting is just fine and dandy with mixing
and matching either way-

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old December 27th 04, 08:19 PM
A Muzi

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
Now you know two-Andy Muzi and me..shifting is just fine and dandy with mixing
and matching either way-

Agreed - haven't seen any problems, manufacturer's advice
notwithstanding.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org