42/16 vs. 32/16 - First ride on my new bike today

Old December 28th 04, 05:22 AM
Sam H.

Preston Crawford wrote:
Yet one more thing. Someone else correctly pointed out an error in my
post.

Obviously I meant to discuss the ratio with *my* big back chainring, a 26,
not a 16. That was a typo prompted by my fixie research into optimum
ratios, etc. Too much info on the brain. Obviously my choice is between
42/26 and X/26. Sorry for the confusion.

I seem to recall you ride in Portland; I'm sure this varies greatly from
person to person, but I feel fine on any of the hills in the greater
Portland area on a 42/25, and I'm well into clydesdale range.

If you really feel like you're mashing, get a lower gear, but I'm not
sure Portland necessitates it. If I were you, with only one chainring
I'd rather have a 42/26 low than a 32/16 high.

Sam
Old December 28th 04, 04:10 PM
Preston Crawford

On 2004-12-28, Sam H. wrote:
Preston Crawford wrote:
Yet one more thing. Someone else correctly pointed out an error in my
post.

Obviously I meant to discuss the ratio with *my* big back chainring, a 26,
not a 16. That was a typo prompted by my fixie research into optimum
ratios, etc. Too much info on the brain. Obviously my choice is between
42/26 and X/26. Sorry for the confusion.

I seem to recall you ride in Portland; I'm sure this varies greatly from
person to person, but I feel fine on any of the hills in the greater
Portland area on a 42/25, and I'm well into clydesdale range.

If you really feel like you're mashing, get a lower gear, but I'm not
sure Portland necessitates it. If I were you, with only one chainring
I'd rather have a 42/26 low than a 32/16 high.

Sam

I'm on the West side, Beaverton, on the other side of the West Hills.
Downtown and East side Portland proper are relatively flat. Not so out
here into downtown Portland.

Preston