Flying to New Zealand (Unicon 15)

Old November 30th 08, 09:36 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Default Flying to New Zealand (Unicon 15)

mikepenton;1140113 wrote:
there used to be direct flights from Sydney to Wellington, but you'd
probably have to book that seperately...

I commute between Sydney-Wellington every few weeks. There's usually a
few flights a day with Air NZ and probably with Qantas also.

--
GizmoDuck

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details. www.induni.adventureunicyclist.com
The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net
The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org
Old November 30th 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

The Air NZ via LA is okay. If you can stick a day stopover in LA into
it, that is nice too, L.A. is a nice place to stopover, there is some
nice coker riding right near the airport (like a mile away from it), and
a load of nice unicyclists handy to ride with (obviously make sure you
stopover on a weekend). In LA, the airplane refuels, you have to have
your fingerprint taken and then wait in a soulless transit lounge with
no way to buy food, a few pretty gross pieces of fruit and boring
biscuits and nowt else. But it is quicker than a stopover.

If you go east, with a stop in Asia, it is slightly shorter, and if you
change in Hong Kong etc. you get to wander around the airports and eat
exciting Asian food, which is nice, but you can take way less luggage,
which can make a difference if you're taking more than one uni, or lots
of other stuff. I went to Sydney this way recently, and it was okay.

As for who to go with, Air New Zealand are the best airline I've taken
unicycles on, and very well set up for long journeys. They don't charge
for bikes, so no need to hide the unicycle / pay extra. Virgin are nice
too, BA and Quantas are okay. I'd recommend not taking Continental for
any legs of your flight if you can avoid it, they are really the worst
I've ever been on, terrible food, terrible grumpy flight attendants,
either terrible or no seat back films, and a bad reputation for losing
luggage.

Assuming you're not super rich and are going normal class, if you can't
sleep on planes, take sleeping pills, otherwise these are the most soul
destroying flights you can possibly take - you're on planes for more
than a day, getting a good sleep on them makes a big difference.

Joe

--
joemarshall

' old pics' (http://tinyurl.com/56yl2f) 'new zealand pics'
(http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...rshall_photos/) 'new pics'
(http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/joemarshall.org.uk)
'Where have I been riding? (GPS) ' (http://tinyurl.com/6fxw5x)
Old November 30th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ThisGuyIKnow

joemarshall;1140717 wrote:
The Air NZ via LA is okay. If you can stick a day stopover in LA into
it, that is nice too, L.A. is a nice place to stopover, there is some
nice coker riding right near the airport (like a mile away from it), and
a load of nice unicyclists handy to ride with (obviously make sure you
stopover on a weekend). In LA, the airplane refuels, you have to have
your fingerprint taken and then wait in a soulless transit lounge with
no way to buy food, a few pretty gross pieces of fruit and boring
biscuits and nowt else. But it is quicker than a stopover.

I actually started a thread 'here'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74539) to possibly
try to arrange something for unicyclists stopping over in L.A. at this
point I'm just trying to see if there would be any interest.

--
ThisGuyIKnow
Old December 1st 08, 05:04 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
fluxusmaximus

If you guys are dropping by Singapore I'm sure we can arrange a
cross-island ride at the very least

--
fluxusmaximus

Old December 1st 08, 10:50 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Hazmat

zfox001;1139937 wrote:
you can fly from London to Sydney??
that is insane

I used to live in Switzerland and people used to fly from London to
Singapore and then Singapore to Sidney.
But ya...thats a long way to fly
i dont think there is a faster way

Well actually, i think you can now fly directly from London to Sydney
without stopping. Thanks to the new *'Airbus A380'
(http://tinyurl.com/5t8o9s)*.

Just like my mates who went from here, straight to Dubai without ever
stopping.

--
Hazmat

I'M 1 WEIRD AND UNUSUAL GREEK
CYPRIOT AUSTRALIAN WHO
IS DESTINED TO BE DIFFERENT AND I WON'T STOP TILL I AM.

*'Can't wait till this game is finally released.'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcuZlRC3dYM)*

Old December 2nd 08, 05:21 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
TonyMelton

When I flew to UNICON 13 I went Auckland, Bangkok, Zurich and returned
the same way. I had a killer 12 hour stopover in Bangkok on the way back
which made the whole journey a lot longer - like 36+ hours! I'd not
recommend this. The stopover wasn't in my original itinery; it came
about because I changed my flights later and couldn't avoid it.

To UNICON 14 the route was Auckland, Hong Kong, London, Copenhagen and
return.

Which ever way you go, its a darn long way!

--
TonyMelton

'Take a squizz at my YouTube videos!'
(http://www.youtube.com/user/unimeltdown)
Old December 2nd 08, 11:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
critter

ThisGuyIKnow;1140722 wrote:
I actually started a thread 'here'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74539) to possibly
try to arrange something for unicyclists stopping over in L.A. at this
point I'm just trying to see if there would be any interest.

Oahu is a good lay-over place.

I give a crash coarse of my favorite trails. auryht! (all right!)

--
critter

MUni! The closest I'll ever get to bull riding!
Old December 3rd 08, 02:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
fluxusmaximus

critter;1141888 wrote:
oahu is a good lay-over place.

I give a crash coarse of my favorite trails. Auryht! (all right!)

singapore! Singapore!

--
fluxusmaximus

New Zealand lodging wowunicycle Unicycling 8 August 26th 08 04:12 AM
UNICON XV: Wellington, New Zealand 2009/2010 GizmoDuck Unicycling 24 March 7th 08 02:54 AM
Uk Unicon Riders - Who is flying from Bristol? unicycleboy Unicycling 7 February 27th 06 05:42 PM
New Zealand Doper inconnu Racing 0 November 25th 04 09:22 PM
Unicycles in New Zealand JJuggle Unicycling 6 October 27th 03 11:10 PM