Seeking guidance on my first uni...

Old December 3rd 08, 08:09 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
New2UniGuy

Default Seeking guidance on my first uni...

Okay folks, I searched through some of the threads here and have found
about a million different opinions on beginner unis, so I figure I'll
muddy the waters just a touch more by starting this thread.

I'm brand spankin' new to the sport, have never been on a uni in the
past, but am determined that I'm going to learn to ride, since it's
something I've always been interested in. I'm 5'11", about 210lbs. I
don't anticipate I'm going to be doing any kind of tricks or anything
for some time, so really I just need a basic uni that will be good for
learning on.

Here's what I've seen thus far, so please offer up any comments (either
pro or con on any of these) that might help...

Torker Unistar CX-24" wheel size, steel rim (36 spoke), 300mm seat
post, free uni stand, $125

Torker Unistar LX-24" wheel size, alloy wheel (48 spoke), 300mm seat
post, free uni stand, $145

Dimension Unicycle 24" Street-aluminum wheel, 230mm seat post, $93

Sun 24" Unicycle-either a standard or a flat top, $76

CyclePro Avenir 24" unicycle - $85

So there's the list so far. I don't want to spend much more than $150
if possible, and would guess that you get more uni for $145 than you do
for $85, but again, that's why I'm putting it out to those with more
knowledge and experience. Frankly if there is a cheaper one that will
work fine, I'm cool with that. I'm also willing to shell out the cash
for a quality one that will last, but again, don't need anything that's
specialty right now.

Thanks in advance for any and all insight.

--The new guy

--
New2UniGuy

*Would the boy that you were be proud of the man that you are?*
Old December 3rd 08, 09:27 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

Torker LX. 20" or 24".

--
Jerrick

'*305$ /$549.99*'
(http://tinyurl.com/6ywusa) *Press Alt+F4 to fix post
stretch.*[SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC]JC~
Old December 3rd 08, 02:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Hazmat

Jerrick;1142164 wrote:
Torker LX. 20" or 24".

+1 on that.

--
Hazmat

I'M 1 WEIRD AND UNUSUAL GREEK
CYPRIOT AUSTRALIAN WHO
IS DESTINED TO BE DIFFERENT AND I WON'T STOP TILL I AM.

*'Can't wait till this game is finally released.'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcuZlRC3dYM)*
Old December 3rd 08, 02:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
OneWheelLess

The torker lx is without a doubt the best uni on that list by far. The
24" also sounds like a great size.

--
OneWheelLess

Seriously, the other wheel just fell off one day.
Old December 3rd 08, 05:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
scott ttocs

If you are interested in Torker 24" LX, you can sometimes find deals on
the web or on e-bay. Here is one I found in a few minutes online. I
know nothing about the seller, so caveat emptor.

http://tinyurl.com/6zn66c

--
scott ttocs
Old December 3rd 08, 06:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

New2UniGuy;1142139 wrote:
Torker Unistar CX-24" wheel size, steel rim (36 spoke), 300mm seat
post, free uni stand, $125

Torker Unistar LX-24" wheel size, alloy wheel (48 spoke), 300mm seat
post, free uni stand, $145

Dimension Unicycle 24" Street-aluminum wheel, 230mm seat post, $93

Sun 24" Unicycle-either a standard or a flat top, $76

CyclePro Avenir 24" unicycle - $85

hey New Guy, I would also suggest the Torker LX. Compared to the CX it
has a much nicer seat, a 25.4mm seat post which is much stronger than
the 22.2mm seatpost found on the CX, Stronger frame that is more
conductive to learning tricks, and most importantly a much stronger
wheel build.

Both the Sun and CyclePro are basically disposable unis. Built out of
cheep parts and probably won't last you long.

I don't know anything about he Dimension unicycles.

Another unicycle I would look at if I was just getting into unicycling
is the 'Club Freestyle'
(http://www.unicycle.com/Shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1335) available at UDC.
It was designed by unicyclists for unicycle clubs to get good cheep
unicycles for their members. It has a standard seatpost unlike the
torker LX so upgrading the seat or replacing the post is much easier.
The wheel might not be quite as strong as the LX wheel but should be
stronger than the CX. It is nice and inexpensive.

I noticed you listed all 24" unis. I think you made the right choice on
the wheel size for what you want to do. 20" is nicer for learning tricks
but a 24 is nicer for just riding around.

You might want to try 150mm cranks to start out for a bit more
control.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

ERIC

--
saskatchewanian
Old December 4th 08, 02:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
New2UniGuy

Thanks for all the responses. Due to all the input I've decided to go
with the Sun (hey, it's only $76 bucks, right?)

Juuuuuuuuuust kidding. My momma didn't raise no fool. There's a brand
spankin' new Torker LX headed my way and should be here early next week.
My original plan was to make it a Christmas present to myself, but I
doubt very much that I'll be waiting that long to give it a try.

Again, I appreciate the feedback. And saskatchewanian, I'll definitely
look into those cranks. I'm all about smoothing out the learning curve
wherever possible.

Old December 4th 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

Once you are used to riding the longer cranks, switch to something
shorter, and youll be cruising along much faster, smoother, and
comfortable.

Dont be afraid to post again when you need getting a unicycle specified
to a certain riding type.

Have fun on your torker.