Dura Ace EX axle/cones compatible with Orig Dura Ace? Record?

Old July 25th 05, 03:41 AM
41

Default Dura Ace EX axle/cones compatible with Orig Dura Ace? Record?

Is a Dura Ace EX 5 speed axle set, front or rear, compatible as a
replacement for an original Dura Ace 5 speed hub? How about the races?
How about just the cones?

Would Campag Record cones, axle sets, races or dustcaps be compatible
with original Dura Ace?

Are original Dura Ace cones/axle sets/ dust caps a standard size or
compatible with anything else more easily obtainable?

Thanks in advance for any info.8

Old July 25th 05, 06:36 AM
A Muzi

41 wrote:

Is a Dura Ace EX 5 speed axle set, front or rear, compatible as a
replacement for an original Dura Ace 5 speed hub? How about the races?
How about just the cones?

Would Campag Record cones, axle sets, races or dustcaps be compatible
with original Dura Ace?

Are original Dura Ace cones/axle sets/ dust caps a standard size or
compatible with anything else more easily obtainable?

DuraAce EX cones/axle sets (five and six) are unique.
Smaller outside diameter (dust cap clearance) than Record
and the cone's bearing surface is smaller with an unusual
curvature. You need that specific cone/axle set.

Balls are 1/4 inch 9x9 rear and 3/16 inch 10x10 front,
unlike Record

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old July 25th 05, 01:07 PM
41

A Muzi wrote:
41 wrote:

Is a Dura Ace EX 5 speed axle set, front or rear, compatible as a
replacement for an original Dura Ace 5 speed hub? How about the races?
How about just the cones?

Would Campag Record cones, axle sets, races or dustcaps be compatible
with original Dura Ace?

Are original Dura Ace cones/axle sets/ dust caps a standard size or
compatible with anything else more easily obtainable?

DuraAce EX cones/axle sets (five and six) are unique.
Smaller outside diameter (dust cap clearance) than Record
and the cone's bearing surface is smaller with an unusual
curvature. You need that specific cone/axle set.

Balls are 1/4 inch 9x9 rear and 3/16 inch 10x10 front,
unlike Record

Many thanks for your reply. So, Dura Ace EX will not sub for my
original Dura Ace. Could you tell me what if anything could sub for my
original Dura Ace? Record? That's the best thing about Record, spares
are so easily available.

Actually I don't know if I need a replacement yet, I just saw someone
had some EX sets available. I got some water in the bearings while
washing the bike and unknowingly left it in for about two days-
usually I avoid this by using my grease injector BEFORE cleaning. When
I then used my grease injector, to my surprise brown liquid water and
brown-stained grease popped out. I imagine the cones are rusty-
perhaps not the races because I may not have spun the wheels enough to
work the water in that far back, as it was just from external washing,
not riding in the rain. Anyrate I've been too lazy or pressed to undo
them and see what's going on, I will do that at the end of the season
as usual, in the meantime I just flushed as well as possible with
injected grease until it came out clean, and have been riding them with
no noise or rough spinning. But I figured I should think ahead to what
I can do to replace at least the cones, and possibly the races. If they
need replacing I can't be doing any more harm, if they don't, I don't
think I'm making anything worse.

Thanks again..

Laff at me Steve Racing 10 October 14th 05 03:02 AM
Link to Guinness Record standards pls? BraveSirStupid Unicycling 12 March 17th 05 07:27 AM
This whole hour record thing David Stone Unicycling 7 March 2nd 05 05:31 AM
FS: '04 Dura Ace 10spd Group MikeO Marketplace 2 August 7th 03 12:21 AM
NEW Dura Ace TRIPLE Group <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< biciman Marketplace 0 July 2nd 03 04:44 PM