Lance & age

Old July 18th 03, 06:30 PM
Daniel Connelly

Default Lance & age

Daniel Connelly wrote:
I think http://www-tcad.stanford.edu/~djconnel/cycling/ITT1.pdf suggests
that the ITT suggested Ullrich is stronger, not Lance is weaker, than 2002.

Dan

Correction -- Ullrich wasn't in the race in 2002. It was Botero who
was first in the first ITT..... my point is basically that Ullrich2003 Botero2002,
not Lance2002 Lance2003.

Dan

Old July 18th 03, 07:47 PM
Andy Coggan

But Armstrong's times up L'Alpe de Huez suggest otherwise...and I would
submit that comparing a rider to themselves on a long or steep uphill is a
pretty good test of fitness.

Andy Coggan

Andy Coggan wrote:
"Daniel Connelly" wrote in message
. ..

All of this "age" discussion will end tomorrow.

Think so?

Andy Coggan

Old July 19th 03, 04:15 AM
Daniel Connelly

By the L'Alpe metric, Ullrich is also suffering from old
age, then, as his time was substantially lower than either
2001 (IIRC) or 1997.

L'Alpe seemed to me a case of Armstrong marking what he perceived to
be his rivals at the end of a long, hot stage. Times in general
were slow that day.

Maybe Armstrong is slower this year. I just don't think the race
has clearly demonstrated it yet.

Dan