RR Glenvale crits 20.11.05 C grade

Old November 20th 05, 06:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default RR Glenvale crits 20.11.05 C grade

thought better go and rectify my record at Glenvale and see if i could
complete a Cgrade crit withOUT crashing

Not much to say...
Was feeling so-so beforehand as I have developed a cough/chest thing
and thought a 50min+3laps crit would be easier than hammering myself on
a BR (yeah, yeah i know i_could_go_easy!).
Field of 40+(?). Hummed along for 45min and kept out of the 'wind' as
much as possible. a few half-hearted attacks came to nought.
Decided i was feeling OK'ish so started moving up to approx 10th wheel
and with 3 to go felt surprisingly fresh(ish).
Then the pace picked up, as it does on the last lap, and I didnt
Finished in the last 3rd of the field but that's cool.
executed all them turns OK this time.
The combo of lower pace (top speed was 49kph!) and the eggbeaters meant
dutchy couldnt attempt a 'Dancing with the stars' manouvre. I just didnt
have the kick at the end. Oh well. Aim was to finish and just get the
confidence back. The 'feel' of Glenvale is very different to Kew adn
Cgrade is definetly differne to Dgrade at Kew too (altho i would still
put a win in Dgrade @ Kew just in front of a Cgrade win @ Gvale).
Graeme got a 3rd in D and Jono was travelling well i=until the
inevitable last lap madness saw him lucky to just turn up with
frustration, rather than missing bits
A grade was 'interesting' Lots of shouting and banter as they went by
and the winner snuck past a rider who actually stopped pedalling 20m
short of the line!!!

Stats to bore over:
53min
37.6k distance
Ave 39.76kph
Top Speed 49.6kph
Time to up the training
oh, and remember to take a bidon next time

--
flyingdutch

Old November 20th 05, 07:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Well I wasn't going to win (well maybe ), but dam i was right
up there at the second last corner (about 6th wheel), then the two
blokes infront of me clashed wheels so i swerved out and the person
behind me hit my wheel. This all occured at 50kph and amazingly no one
fell! And that was the end of my race...

B Grade
I Hour +3 laps
42 ave speed
53 max speed

--
Jono L

Old November 20th 05, 07:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default BR(74) (Was: RR Glenvale crits 20.11.05 C grade)

On 2005-11-20, flyingdutch (aka Bruce)
Not much to say...
Was feeling so-so beforehand as I have developed a cough/chest thing
and thought a 50min+3laps crit would be easier than hammering myself on
a BR (yeah, yeah i know i_could_go_easy!).

Hrmmm. Something in the air lastnight? We took it rather slow at the
BR. DaveB was feeling just the onset of some illness, GPL was taking
it easy so he could go to Kinglake, and I had nothing in my legs -- a
combination of 4 hours sleep, most of a bottle of red, and some very
tasty but fatty deep fried "Thai" food -- MBTC's November Nosh.
Despite having nothing in my legs, I found myself way off the front of
the group up until the first big kicker, because everyone else was
taking it even slower for some reason. I did my worst climb in recent
time -- 2 mins slower than usual. GPL scored his personal worst up
there, just pootling along with me.

DaveB, GPL and myself even took the shortcut to Smith's Gully -- I was
struggling to keep 20km/h after Kangaroo Ground.

I also didn't bother with Kew bouli, and almost didn't do the Burgundy
hill -- watched GPL disappear off into the distance at a large rate of
knots.

Short ride, but at least my average was only down 1km/h or so.

So moral of the story? We did take it easy on BR -- you should stop
shunning your responsibilities, and come ride!

Ave 39.76kph

Wheeee!

--
TimC
"If you already know what recursion is, just remember the answer. Otherwise,
Old November 20th 05, 07:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle

flyingdutch wrote:

thought better go and rectify my record at Glenvale and see if i could
complete a Cgrade crit withOUT crashing

Not much to say...

snip 50mins of wheel sucking...

Then the pace picked up, as it does on the last lap, and I didnt
Finished in the last 3rd of the field but that's cool.
executed all them turns OK this time.

Gotta start somewhere... How is the shoulder these days?

The combo of lower pace (top speed was 49kph!) and the eggbeaters meant
dutchy couldnt attempt a 'Dancing with the stars' manouvre.

What's wrong with them egg-beaters? I thought they were supposed to be
the greatest thing?

I just didnt
have the kick at the end. Oh well. Aim was to finish and just get the
confidence back.

Sounds like you've done that. Good stuff!

--
BrettS
Old November 20th 05, 08:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"Gotta start somewhere... How is the shoulder these days?"

hmmmm. claim the 5th! the problem is more between my ears...

"What's wrong with them egg-beaters? I thought they were supposed to
be
the greatest thing?"

They are! maybe i didnt write that right? I could corner/keep pedalling
better due to their better clearance...

--
flyingdutch

Old November 20th 05, 08:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle

flyingdutch wrote:
thought better go and rectify my record at Glenvale and see if i could
complete a Cgrade crit withOUT crashing

Good to hear you had a decent excuse Dutchy. After not racing at Kew on
Wed and not turning up to BR this morning we were worried you'd become a
BV desk jockey

DaveB
Old November 20th 05, 10:09 AM posted to aus.bicycle

ritcho Wrote:
I've not seen these Glenvale crits, but they sound rather like anarchy -
well done for getting through without a crash!

Ritch

PS... maybe Melbourne one day...

I want to get out and give a crit a go some time, the speed not being
a problem, everytime I read the reports, I cant help but see myself,
turned into Road-kill or a speed hump for the following riders......

should I start in D grade if I have never done one before ?? Ive done
group riding, but I still cant help feeling, I would suck at the high
speed cornering.

--
MikeyOz

Old November 20th 05, 10:45 AM posted to aus.bicycle

It's not that dangerous, really. Start in D and you'll probably kick
arse.

--
Jono L

Old November 20th 05, 06:17 PM posted to aus.bicycle

MikeyOz Wrote:
I want to get out and give a crit a go some time, the speed not being a
problem, everytime I read the reports, I cant help but see myself,
turned into Road-kill or a speed hump for the following riders......

should I start in D grade if I have never done one before ?? Ive done
group riding, but I still cant help feeling, I would suck at the high
speed cornering.

meh. just remember...

"Take the first Left. then Left, then Left, then Left, then Left, then
Left, then Left, then Left, then Left, then Left, then Left, then Left,
then Left, then Left, then Left, then Left, then Left, then Left, then
Left, then Left, then Left, then Left, then Left, then Left, then Left,
then Left, then Left, then Left, then Left, then Left, then Left, then
Left, then Left, then Left, then Left, then Left, then Left, then Left,
then Left, then Left, then Left, then Left, then Left, then Left, then
Left, then Left, then Left, then Left, then Left, then Left, etc... "

--
flyingdutch

Old November 20th 05, 11:28 PM posted to aus.bicycle

flyingdutch wrote:
thought better go and rectify my record at Glenvale and see if i could
complete a Cgrade crit withOUT crashing

Not much to say...
Was feeling so-so beforehand as I have developed a cough/chest thing
and thought a 50min+3laps crit would be easier than hammering myself on
a BR (yeah, yeah i know i_could_go_easy!).
Field of 40+(?). Hummed along for 45min and kept out of the 'wind' as
much as possible. a few half-hearted attacks came to nought.
Decided i was feeling OK'ish so started moving up to approx 10th wheel
and with 3 to go felt surprisingly fresh(ish).
Then the pace picked up, as it does on the last lap, and I didnt

That was the aboc leadout train. You didn't notice them because
they're not in aboc kit (yet!). Hari, Mick and Matt. It was their
first time doing a train, and they got the timing wrong, and ended up
putting Matt over in 5th place, but it was a good attempt and they
learnt lots. We'd gone over it on Sat morning at Sprint Skills (rainy
day, so we made like trackies and hid inside the clubrooms and did race
tactics on the blackboard) and they did it on Sunday They went maybe
half a lap early ... next week ...

RR: Glenvale D grade 24-04-05 DaveB Australia 14 April 25th 05 09:21 AM
Glenvale D or E grade? DaveB Australia 43 April 23rd 05 01:43 PM
BR?? - Glenvale Crits Gags Australia 10 April 23rd 05 01:06 PM
RR: C grade Glenvale Cres. 17/04/05 jazmo Australia 31 April 21st 05 04:17 AM
RR: Kew Crits Gags Australia 16 February 11th 05 02:37 AM