River Rats pedicabs ready for Bengals

Old January 4th 06, 09:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default River Rats pedicabs ready for Bengals

River Rats pedicabs ready for Bengals
New service has 5 drivers ready to go next weekend

By Mary Jo Nead
Enquirer contributor

Decked out in orange and black, the pedicabs at Newport on the Levee are ready
for the Bengals' first playoff game.

"...We will be operating in Cincinnati and can take people to and from the
Bengals games," said Dianne Wente, 55, owner of River Rats, the only pedicab
operation in Kentucky or Ohio.

"As far as I know, the closest one is in Detroit," said Wente, who started the
business in August.

Currently the service area, or "rat maze," extends 2½ miles on both sides of the
Ohio River.

"We cross the Ohio River at the Purple People Bridge and into Friendship Park,"
Wente said. "In the spring we'll be open seven days a week from 11 a.m. until 2
a.m. when the bars close."

With five bikes and drivers ready to go, Wente anticipates being profitable by
summer.

River Rats is operating on weekends or by appointment now. Wente is getting the
word out about the pedicabs. "People in cars honk and wave and want to know what
it is."

The pedicab is a three-wheeled pedal-driven cab. With more than 8,000 of them in
30 U.S. cites, the pedicab has evolved from a novelty to an environmentally
friendly transportation alternative found in tourist destinations.

The gaily decorated pedicabs at Newport on the Levee are a far cry from their
predecessor, the hand-pulled Japanese rickshaw. The 21-speed pedicabs are