Conversion to Ultegra 10speed

Old June 25th 06, 01:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Conversion to Ultegra 10speed

Yesterday, I was speaking to a bicycle coach who said that the 10sp
Ultegra crankset and BB could be used on a 9sp setup, and vice versa.

Sheldon Brown says this: "Note, also that rear derailers do not care
how many gears you have. You do not need to have a so-called "10-speed"
derailer to use a 10-speed cassette. This is true of all Shimano
derailers with the exception of 1996 and earlier (pre-9-speed) Dura-Ace
units." at http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

The same article also says "Also, hubs marked "8-speed, 9-speed or
10-speed will work with any number of sprockets! (Add a 4.5 mm spacer
before installing a 7-speed cassette on an 8-, 9-, or 10-speed hub.)"

However, he then says "2004-2006 Dura-Ace 7800 10 speed hubs only
accept Dura-Ace 10 speed cassettes."

I've heard that apart from the alloys, Ultegra 10sp is mechanically
basically the same as Dura Ace 10, so maybe the same applies to
Ultegra.

Anyway, it does beg the question, what is the absolute minimum change
required to move over from 9sp Ultegra to 10sp Ultegra? Since
various places sell groupset bits one piece at a time, bits could be
replaced piecemeal as they wear out, rather than all at once so I would
have to discard otherwise
perfectly servicable bits.

Maybe I'm reading the various things wrongly, but would I be right in
saying that to convert from 9sp to 10sp I would at minimum only need to
repace the casette, STI shifters and chain? That would suit me fine,
as my STI shifters are getting to the end of their useful life and the
others are considered to be "consumables" anyway.

Travis

Old June 25th 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
[...]

True except for the rear hub. The DA 10s hub, which will accept shimano
10s cogsets ONLY, is unique.

Anyway, it does beg the question, what is the absolute minimum change
required to move over from 9sp Ultegra to 10sp Ultegra? Since
various places sell groupset bits one piece at a time, bits could be
replaced piecemeal as they wear out, rather than all at once so I would
have to discard otherwise
perfectly servicable bits.

Right lever, cogset and chain...minimum to be '10s' ultegra.

Old June 25th 06, 01:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
[...]

If this bugs ya, get Campag 10s ERGO levers and any Campag rear
derailleur, spend the same $ that you will on ultegra STI, cogset and
chain(or less), and go ride...

Travis

Old June 25th 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Travis Morien asked:

what is the absolute minimum change
required to move over from 9sp Ultegra to 10sp Ultegra? Since
various places sell groupset bits one piece at a time, bits could be
replaced piecemeal as they wear out, rather than all at once so I would
have to discard otherwise
perfectly servicable bits.

Peter Chisholm replied:

Right lever, cogset [sic] and chain...minimum to be '10s' ultegra.

Peter, Peter, you're usually complete in this sort of thing (even when
you use a funny made-up word for "cassette") but you forgot the 4th
essential item:

Travis will also need new handlebar tape, preferably 10-speed
compatible handlebar tape.

Sheldon "Bare Essentials" Brown
+------------------------------------+
| Whenever people agree with me |
| I always feel I must be wrong. |
| -- Oscar Wilde |
+------------------------------------+
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old June 26th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

Travis will also need new handlebar tape, preferably 10-speed
compatible handlebar tape.

Why doesn't Harris have any recumbent handlebar tape yet?

Old June 26th 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 25 Jun 2006 18:53:07 -0700, "bjkeen" wrote:

wrote:

Travis will also need new handlebar tape, preferably 10-speed
compatible handlebar tape.

Why doesn't Harris have any recumbent handlebar tape yet?

Dear BJK,

The cut-throat world of mail-order bicycle parts leads to ruthless
business decisions that are not immediately obvious to customers.

Harris Cyclery already loses money stocking the different kinds of
handlebar tape needed for modern Campagnolo and Shimano shifters.

Rumor has it that Sheldon may soon stop offering fixed-gear handlebar
tape.

The shop hasn't sold tublar handlebar tape for years.

It's simply impossible to break even if you have to offer handlebar
tape for both above and below the seat recumbent handlebars.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old June 26th 06, 06:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Tape vs. Grips, was Conversion to Ultegra 10speed

On 25 Jun 2006 20:32:22 -0700, "JeffWills"

It's simply impossible to break even if you have to offer handlebar
tape for both above and below the seat recumbent handlebars.

"Recumbent Handlebar Tape" my Above Seat Steering! Everyone knows
recumbent bikes require *grips* to help maintain control at
extraordinarily high velocities above 20,000 meters per hour. These are
the latest volley in the recumbent technology war:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=20412

Jeff "Hang On Sloopy" Wills

Dear Jeff,

Please note that those are "men's grips."

Here are the "women's grips":

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=20413

Both allegedly weigh the same 120 grams.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel