Bicycle helmet vs Skate helmet

Old December 18th 08, 02:45 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
OneWheelLess

Default Bicycle helmet vs Skate helmet

harper;1152271 wrote:

Avoid polls like rational people avoid emoticons and the word
*AWESOME.*

that's sigg-able! lol

--
OneWheelLess

Seriously, the other wheel just fell off one day.
Old December 18th 08, 03:24 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
masterfulmoron

personally I don't wear a helmet. I think you should make a third option
to the wutchamacallit.

--
masterfulmoron

unicycle for Christ

"I've always had an Idea that my retirement would be the greatest
contribution to science the world has ever known" Groucho Marx
Old December 18th 08, 04:41 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

This one:

(Me, 36 years from now, in 2045! But by then, I hope the helmet won't
read: "Too Tired!" haha! )

30221

Btw, I'm upgrading to this 'one'
(http://www.k5.com/getproduct.asp?p=22375&b=98).

|Filename: dad.jpg |

MuniAddict

::'UniGeezer.com' (http://unigeezer.com)

'' (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/member.php?u=12920)::
Old December 18th 08, 05:15 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

The way I see it is, a skate helmet protects better from actually
hitting your head, whereas the bike helmet will protect you from other
things hitting you.

Both protect your head, but in different ways. I know from experience
though that a bike helmet isn't always the best choice in terms of
coverage after smacking my noggin on some rocks before.

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
Old December 18th 08, 05:19 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Tiki Pirate

My ride is still in the mail as we speak; but, plan on using a regular
bike helmet as soon as it arrives.

For years I rode a mountain bike with out a helmet. Eventually, I got
a bell VR-1 pro helmet that could stop a bullet. I rode with that
helmet for years. It never really saved me, nor killed me.

I took Karate as a youngster and they taught me how to fall. I never
could kick anyone's behind but, I can fall like a mad-man. (Thanks
Mom!)

Several years ago I spent a summer working with a bike magazine doing
promotions, etc.. They gave me a new helmet. It's still good and I got
another since then. I tuck and roll well.. Nice and light is good for
me.

As others have stated.. the poll results might not mean too much. Some
people ride trials on huge boulders, or do rail grinds over and over..
While others might do XC muni rides with only a few rocks. What works
in one instance may not work in others well and vise versa.

--
Tiki Pirate
Old December 18th 08, 05:42 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
OneWheelLess

ntappin;1152361 wrote:
The way I see it is, a skate helmet protects better from actually
hitting your head, whereas the bike helmet will protect you from other
things hitting you.

i can't think of one instance where it would provide more protection.

Old December 18th 08, 05:56 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Shug

I have a doofy yellow Bell helmet that I abhor wearing but it has saved
my melon a couple of times on MUni now. Especially the back of my head.

I gotta say that I want a skate helmet as it seems to come down a wee
bit lower in the back. In my opinion is reckless to not wear some head
protection .... but then again I am a bit long in the tooth.

--
Shug

Industrial Strength Chafing
Old December 18th 08, 06:15 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

I bought one and only wore it once. Way to hot and uncomfortable. So for
me that helmet offered only one day of protection.

After about a year of riding naked, I bought a low end foam-shell Giro
bike helmet that is full of vent holes, weighs nothing, and has a visor.
It is so comfortable I forget I am wearing it, until I am riding into
the sun. I only use it on the 36, where the speed makes it
comfortable to wear, even in the tropics.

It is amazing how light it is. I don't think I need protection from
road crashes, it is more like side walk mishaps where I might hit my
head on the edge of a cinder block or something.

I am not knocking the skater helmets, in a colder place they might be
great, as well as safer. But it isn't safer if it's sitting on the
shelf. So if you hate your helmet, consider one of the full of holes
bike things, at least they are comfortable.

--
feel the light
Old December 18th 08, 06:39 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

My model is this Giro Atlas 2. There are other very similar models in
the same 37 $ ish price range, the Giro indicator etc., and the very
similar Bells. I think they all fit-work about the same so pick by looks
-color that you like.

I would advise getting a Giro or Bell because they use the same dial
fit system, which is very good. Just pick a model that you like that is
all full of holes and has a visor. I see no point in the expensive
carbon helmets. These 40 $ helmets are super comfortable and weigh
less than a fat mans sandwich.

|Filename: 130_helmets.jpg |

feel the light
Old December 18th 08, 01:14 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
agentQ

OneWheelLess;1152379 wrote:
i can't think of one instance where it would provide more protection.

Bicycle helmets are designed, mainly, for forward crashes. A typical
bike crash will leave the rider going head first over the handlebars.

A skate helmet on the other hand is designed to have a more all around
even coverage. Skaters, when they fall, can and will fal in any
direction, but most often the board will slip out making the rider fall
straight down and often to the back of the head.

Id say unicycle crashes do not usually result in hitting your head.
However unless you are ridding distance uni, a skate helmet will offer
more useful protection. Even in muni where there is a lot of forward
momentum, You are pretty likely to have the uni slip out and you fall
backwards.

backwards and sideways falls are why skate helmets are designed the way
they are, and without a doubt have better protection for falling in all
directions.

They were not designed to be the coolest helmets while ridding a
hundred miles. So yes, skate helmets are hotter.

--
agentQ

---
'Uneed Films' (http://www.uneedfilms.com)