Is 15 mile road bike commute too far?

Old August 4th 03, 08:43 PM
Rick Onanian

Default Is 15 mile road bike commute too far?

On 4 Aug 2003 08:26:48 -0700, Jeffrey Pogodzinski wrote:
Hi,
I am thinking of buying a road bike to commute to work every day.

Great!

Would 15 miles each way be too far?

Maybe. Probably at first.

I am in pretty good shape but new to biking.

I am in not so great shape but have been biking for a few years.

About how long would it take?

An hour plus changing clothes, filling water bottles, etc.
At least, after you've been riding long enough.

How fast (average speed) can the average beginner go on a road bike?

As a beginner, depending how quickly you pick up on technique,
your fitness, the terrain, and your bike, I'd bet anywhere from
8 to 16 mph avg.

After a few years riding, okay technique, and a pretty good bike
that's finally dialed in to fit me properly, I get 15.6 mph avg
on relatively flat lands without tiring myself out -- I can talk
to a riding partner while maintaining that speed.

Hilly areas, or if I try to push it, can result in lower avg
speed or pain or tiredness and definately out of breath.

Learning to pace yourself and not overdo it, IMO, is the
hardest part and also the most beneficial.

Get a nice road bike. Make _absolutely sure_ that it's as
comfortable as possible and fits 100% properly. Don't forget
the triple crank (that is, three gears in the front). Ride
recreationally until you feel good about it, then commute with
it.

Thanks, Jeff.

--
Rick Onanian
Old August 4th 03, 09:15 PM
Rick Onanian

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 17:17:02 GMT, Doug Purdy wrote:
Though lots of great bike gear helps a bit too. ;-)

The toys! That's the best part!

Doug
Toronto

--
Rick Onanian
Old August 5th 03, 12:22 AM
Jeffrey Pogodzinski

Thank you all for your suggestions!

I will try a test run this weekend. The only thing I do not like is
the lack of bicycle lanes or a shoulder on some parts of my ride that
can not be avoided.

How do you deal with no bike lanes?

I have a mountain bike -- Giant ATX 890 -- it has knobby tires.

Should I buy some smooth tires before I try it?

Jeff.
Old August 5th 03, 12:26 AM
Donny Harder Jr.

In article ,
(Jeffrey Pogodzinski) wrote:

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a road bike to commute to work every day.

Would 15 miles each way be too far?

I am in pretty good shape but new to biking.

About how long would it take?

How fast (average speed) can the average beginner go on a road bike?

Thanks, Jeff.

Jeff,

Excellent idea! I commute about 14-16 miles each way to work and it
takes me around 50 minutes at my speed with lights and traffic and such.
I allow myself about thirty extra minutes for flats and unexpected
stuff.

Before I started commuting, I did the route on the weekend. Try it out
and see how long it would take you to bolster your confidence. I did and
have been bettering my time with each run. I can do the ride in 40
minutes if I push myself. Try different routes, too. I started out one
way, and ended up another all the time, finding less traffic or a
more-downhill route.

You also want to make sure you're keeping your bike in good order. More
miles means more wear and tear. And you're now using it to get to work.
Nothing like getting stuck with greasy fingers on the way there. So make
sure you keep your chain and brakes in good order. Keep a spare tube (or
two) and the tools you'd need for that.

And, speaking of a bike, I am using a Gary Fisher Zebrano (lower-end
hybrid) with all the standard equipment, including a suspension
saddlepost. (I did have to get a new rear wheel -- SUPER heavy duty this
time.) This bike is inexpensive enough that I wouldn't be crying if I
lost it and it gives me confidence to tackle potholes and climbing
sidewalks. If I had to commute on a road bike, I'd be worried about
every little thing. Something to consider before getting that bike.

I added fenders, a rack with trunk bag, and a bike computer. I also
bought clothes that dry quickly so I change at work. The computer is
excellent, especially when commuting, so you know how long it REALLY
takes. It also helps you maintain a speed when you know what your
average is. For instance, I know if I maintain 18 mph each way I will
make it to work in plenty of time.

The best part of the ride in the morning is the high I get for about
four hours. It's like having a pot of coffee in the morning without the
potty breaks. You'll love it, too! Just experiement and good luck!

Whew. What a book.
Old August 5th 03, 12:33 AM
Slider2699

"Jeffrey Pogodzinski" wrote in message
om...
Thank you all for your suggestions!

I will try a test run this weekend. The only thing I do not like is
the lack of bicycle lanes or a shoulder on some parts of my ride that
can not be avoided.

How do you deal with no bike lanes?

I have a mountain bike -- Giant ATX 890 -- it has knobby tires.

Should I buy some smooth tires before I try it?

Jeff.

I live in an area with no bike lanes either. Basically you just have to
"take the lane"---ride 18' from the edge of the road and act like you own
it. The more experienced riders here will tell you not to ride on paved
shoulders because drivers will not give you space, and they're right. Part
of my commute is a 50mph road with a paved shoulder, and cars zip right by
with their right tires practically on the line. When I "take the lane" that
doesn't happen. As to your tire question---you can ride on pavement with
knobbies, no problem. It's more efficient to use slicks, but not necessary.
Performance has some nice slicks for pretty cheap.
http://www.performancebicycle.com.

Mike

Old August 5th 03, 01:18 AM
Fred

"Jeffrey Pogodzinski" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I am thinking of buying a road bike to commute to work every day.

Would 15 miles each way be too far?

I am in pretty good shape but new to biking.

About how long would it take?

How fast (average speed) can the average beginner go on a road bike?

Thanks, Jeff.

I'm 59 years old and I ride 15 miles (more or less) every morning. It isn't
a commute (it's my daily excercise) but it takes me about an hour on a road
bike. I live in the country and ride on country roads so there aren't any
traffic issues but there is some hilly terrain. I'm in just average shape
for a person my age. The younger guys and those in better shape than I am
do a lot better than 15 mph but that's my pace and I would assume most
people could do at least that. Take care.

Fred

Old August 5th 03, 01:21 AM
Eric S. Sande

How do you deal with no bike lanes?

The short answer is by operating as a car or motorcycle would in
similar conditions, by taking the lane--all of it--and using
appropriate signals.

I guess the best thing I can suggest is to know what you intend
to do before you do it, then execute the maneuver. You are operating
a light vehicle, and that has advantages and disadvantages, for
example you are fragile and you can't accelerate well--but you have
everything else on the road beat as far as agility is concerned.

Try to keep the surprise factor low. The other road users need to
know your intentions, and you need to know theirs.

You will find that the more you ride your route the better it will
be in terms of safety and predictability. If you do one thing each
ride better than the last time, it will add up.

You may also have a local bike club that can assist you with tips,
routes, etc. If you tell us where you live (just the city) there may
be someone here with local knowledge.

Bicycle commuting is a challenging and rewarding experience, given
that you have to go to work anyway you might as well have fun doing
it and reap the health and financial benefits.

(commercial mode off)

P.S.--Yes, the slicks will help.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old August 5th 03, 01:47 AM
Rick Onanian

On 4 Aug 2003 15:36:31 -0700, MortDubois wrote:
for this. I find that I have to really watch myself to make sure that
my riding isn't using up the energy I need to deal with the rest of my
life - especially after work, when my children/wife/house demand

Strange, I find that such pesky things as work and family
take up all my riding time. I could ride hundreds of miles
per week, but instead, I do things like spend time with my
girlfriend, work, go to school (on the few nights I don't
see my girlfriend), and so on...all the while, wishing I
could be out riding.

Then, when I finally get a chance, it's 95 degrees and
pouring rain. Or it's 2 degrees and snowing.

Time is my problem. I don't have the energy either way.
Actually, I suspect if I rode more, the excersize would
make me more healthy, more energetic, and cause me to
sleep better + require less sleep.

Paul

--
Rick Onanian
Old August 5th 03, 02:12 AM
Pete

"Eric S. Sande" wrote in message
How do you deal with no bike lanes?

The short answer is by operating as a car or motorcycle would in
similar conditions, by taking the lane--all of it--and using
appropriate signals.

Take the lane, when appropriate. Not necessarily all the time.

Pete