What would be the next step up from this?

Old March 11th 05, 08:28 PM
Ken Marcet

Default What would be the next step up from this?

Okay Oaky I know that it is kind of hard to tell what a saddle / seat is
like from a picture, but I was in Wally World today and saw this seat for
like $14.00 and it looks and feels like a comfortable place to park my rear
end on. It's the Bell Ultra Comfort model.
http://www.fogdog.com/product/index....ductId=1248711 Now I would much
prefer like a selle or some other higher quality brand name. I don't like
Wally World stuff. This saddle seems like it has about 1/3 to 1/2 inch of
foam in it. I compressed the foam with my fingers and it wasn't too soft,
and it didn't feel like a "Real Man" granite saddle either I was looking at
the Selle Italia FLX Brookland model.at nashbar.

Ken
--
More of my mind dribblings: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/
And my homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

Old March 11th 05, 09:49 PM
Brian Wax

Hi Ken,

Wally World = no good! You are and have already received lots of advice.
However, a saddle generally will not feel good out the box. Your back side
will most likely protest a bit. I now ride on the Selle Italia Flite Trans
Am. To me it is the best. Padding can be very misleading. You should rely on
a chamois in your shorts.

I have a few different saddles laying around. Tell me the application (type
of bike) and I will see what I have. If I have something appropriate, we can
work something out if you are interested.

Brian

Old March 11th 05, 10:05 PM
jj

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:28:00 -0500, "Ken Marcet"
wrote:

Okay Oaky I know that it is kind of hard to tell what a saddle / seat is
like from a picture, but I was in Wally World today and saw this seat for
like $14.00 and it looks and feels like a comfortable place to park my rear
end on. It's the Bell Ultra Comfort model.
http://www.fogdog.com/product/index....ductId=1248711 Now I would much
prefer like a selle or some other higher quality brand name. I don't like
Wally World stuff. This saddle seems like it has about 1/3 to 1/2 inch of
foam in it. I compressed the foam with my fingers and it wasn't too soft,
and it didn't feel like a "Real Man" granite saddle either I was looking at
the Selle Italia FLX Brookland model.at nashbar.

Ken

Just realize if you get a padded saddle your bones will sink down into it,
and the other parts of you will be pressed into the saddle. There's a
chance of reduced blood flow. If you get numbness, take it back and get a
firmer saddle.

As a guideline it's often better to pad your butt not the saddle.

In addition once you become used to it and are assuming a more stretched
out position, you will spend less time with your bodyweight mostly on your
butt and sunk into on the saddle. You want to eventually get some more
weight over your legs and keep your hand weight feathered on the handlebars
(usually on the hoods). The feeling you're aiming for in the long run is
where almost beginning to stand up, but still seated. This is your fast
cruising or climbing position.(At least that works for me; ymmv).

HTH,

jj

Old March 12th 05, 01:38 AM
Arthur Harris

"Ken Marcet" wrote:
Okay Oaky I know that it is kind of hard to tell what a saddle / seat is
like from a picture, but I was in Wally World today and saw this seat for
like $14.00 and it looks and feels like a comfortable place to park my
rear
end on. It's the Bell Ultra Comfort model.

Forget Wally World. But if you're secure in your masculinity, Nashbar has a
great deal:

http://tinyurl.com/3qlpx

Art Harris

Old March 12th 05, 02:23 AM
Jeff Starr

wrote:

Okay Oaky I know that it is kind of hard to tell what a saddle / seat is
like from a picture, but I was in Wally World today and saw this seat for
like $14.00 and it looks and feels like a comfortable place to park my rear
end on. It's the Bell Ultra Comfort model.
http://www.fogdog.com/product/index....ductId=1248711 Now I would much
prefer like a selle or some other higher quality brand name. I don't like
Wally World stuff. This saddle seems like it has about 1/3 to 1/2 inch of
foam in it. I compressed the foam with my fingers and it wasn't too soft,
and it didn't feel like a "Real Man" granite saddle either I was looking at
the Selle Italia FLX Brookland model.at nashbar.

Ken

Hi Ken, most bike shops will have saddles similar to the Bell. They
will be sold as Oasis, Planet Bike, Serfas, or a number of other
names. The pice will range from about $20 up to maybe $45. If you are
going to ride without padded shorts and your rides are under about 20
miles, then try one similar to the Bell. It will probably be fine.
The first year back riding, I rode a little over 700 miles, average
ride was 14 miles and I rode a men's specific Oasis CRZ saddle. I wore
sweat pants or plain old gym shorts and the saddle was fine.

You seem to want to try a saddle like the Bell, do it, it will be a
learning experience. A relatively inexpensive one. Just wait until you
get the urge to try the various Selle Italia, at $75 and up.

One other place to look for saddles, both new and used is Ebay. I have
bought 4 Selle Italia Prolinks used on Ebay. I have got some very good
deals.

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old March 12th 05, 12:56 PM
Ken Marcet

"Brian Wax" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi Ken,

Wally World = no good! You are and have already received lots of advice.
However, a saddle generally will not feel good out the box. Your back side
will most likely protest a bit. I now ride on the Selle Italia Flite Trans
Am. To me it is the best. Padding can be very misleading. You should rely

on
a chamois in your shorts.

I have a few different saddles laying around. Tell me the application

(type
of bike) and I will see what I have. If I have something appropriate, we

can
work something out if you are interested.

Brian

I KNOW Wally - World=No Good! That is why I have not rushed to buy one from
there! I would prefer to get on online, because dealing with the local bike
shop can be more of a pain than riding on my steel saddle that I am
currently riding. The bike I am looking for a saddle for is an old road
bike, I plan on riding around town, and maybe some light touring. I don't
want to put a high dollar saddle on it, but would like it to be comfortable
enough to ride 20 - 30 miles a day without the need for padded cycling pants
/ shorts.

Ken