one of the joys of cycling...

Old March 9th 05, 05:19 PM
Peter Cole

Pat wrote:

I have known idiots here in Texas who, when they want to throw

something
away, toss it into the bed of their pickup trucks. They go to

McDonalds,
eat the hamburgers and fries, and then toss the bag and cup into the

back of
the truck. About a mile down the road, everything blows out and they
pretend innocence that they have trashed the countryside. "I didn't

do
it---I put it in the back of the truck. You can't blame me if it

blows out!"

This is common here in Boston, too. I see a lot of trades guys toss
paper cups, etc. into their truck beds. I guess they never wonder why
they never have to clean out the trash...

Old March 9th 05, 08:35 PM
garmonboezia

"greggery peccary" .@. wrote in news:d0dmu5$i1h$1
@gnus01.u.washington.edu:

I'm sorry that you lost your nice REI gloves (i found them on the

street)
but they are very nice and have found a good home, thanks!

Road scores are the best. I found a Leatherman that way once.
Some of my most useful tools were road scores. Of course it
balances out with lost gloves, pumps, computers, ect.

The Blackfeet have a trickster figure called "Old Man". Whenever
something goes missing they say "Old man has it."

Mike
Old March 9th 05, 08:52 PM
Maggie

garmonboezia wrote:
"greggery peccary" .@. wrote in news:d0dmu5$i1h$1
@gnus01.u.washington.edu:

I'm sorry that you lost your nice REI gloves (i found them on the

street)
but they are very nice and have found a good home, thanks!

Road scores are the best. I found a Leatherman that way once.
Some of my most useful tools were road scores. Of course it
balances out with lost gloves, pumps, computers, ect.

The Blackfeet have a trickster figure called "Old Man". Whenever
something goes missing they say "Old man has it."

Mike

When something goes missing in my house I say the same thing. Only I am
married to the "Old Man."
Maggie

Old March 10th 05, 01:01 AM
Dane Jackson

Claire Petersky wrote:

Well, she should see what an angry, nasty bitch I'd be if I didn't have
meditation as a resource. I'd be even more of an emotional basketcase,
probably on drugs or psychotherapy or both. The zendo is not a hall of
saints, but an asylum from lunacy.

Coworker: 14 hour days and twenty miles of cycling has got be hard.
Me: Ah, but the twenty miles of cycling keeps me from killing people over
the 14 hour days.

I don't get what causes people to post or email purposely hurtful things.
Why write disparging remarks about other people, especially without
provocation? If someone bugs you, a quiet killfiling would seem to suffice.
Why be mean?

I sometimes wonder how much of that is biochemical.[1] In periods in the past
when my blood-sugar was totally out of whack[2], I really enjoyed being mean.
Later I would look back on it and cringe, but at the time it *was* really
enjoyable to be cruel. Man, I'm surprised my friends didn't disown me.

[1] Obviously this only applies to some people. I'm sure most of the people
are just *naturally* jerks.
[2] This was before I realized I had developed hypoglycemia.
--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
Albert Camus wrote that the only serious question is whether to kill yourself
Old March 10th 05, 03:16 AM
Mike Kruger

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
I recently received an email from someone who apparently

didn't find me so
saintly.

If it wasn't from a family member, don't sweat it.

A post I had made to a local commuter board expressing

frustration
regarding traffic at a particular intersection caused

someone to let me know
that she thought that I was a hypocrite for advocating

meditation in my sig
and at the same time being angry about cars and being

inconsiderate by
blocking traffic and taking the lane.

Hypocrisy is a matter of degree, not a simple yes/no.

... she should see what an angry, nasty bitch I'd be if I

didn't have
meditation as a resource.

We'll take your word for it. No need for a demonstration.

I don't get what causes people to post or email purposely

hurtful things.
Why write disparging remarks about other people, especially

without
provocation?

Usenet tradition.

If someone bugs you, a quiet killfiling would seem to

suffice.
Why be mean?

For some of us, a good rant blows off some harmless steam; see
Zoot's post.

Old March 10th 05, 04:39 AM

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 03:19:59 GMT, "Gooserider"
wrote:

"Brian Sanderson" wrote in message

week.

Pair of pedals (in the middle of a crosswalk no less! Try explaining that
one...)

Keep yer eyes on the road, men!

Brian.

Geez, all I ever find are dead armadillos and the occasional orphaned shoe.
:-)

Once I found ten bucks!
Old March 10th 05, 04:55 AM
Bartow W. Riggs

Ran over a Rattlesnake on the local bike trail in Sacramento after coming
around a bend. I pretty much cut it in half...

Old March 10th 05, 06:05 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Zoot Katz wrote:

Tue, 8 Mar 2005 20:19:19 -0800, ,
"Claire Petersky" wrote, in part:

The zendo is not a hall of
saints, but an asylum from lunacy.

I don't get what causes people to post or email purposely hurtful things.
Why write disparging remarks about other people, especially without
provocation? If someone bugs you, a quiet killfiling would seem to suffice.

Some flaming can be like the jikido using their kyosaku.

Quietly killfilng just leaves them in dark whereas a public flaying
can be quite instructional. I don't abide pile-ons well.

I won't take crap from cagers either on the road or online.
Mail bomb the creep!

Sun-tzu said:

"There are roads that are not followed.
"There are armies that are not attacked."

_The Art of War_, trans. Ralph D. Sawyer

And then there is the adage about not mud-wrestling with pigs, because
you get muddy, and the pig enjoys it.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.
Old March 10th 05, 06:58 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Claire Petersky" writes:
I recently received an email from someone who apparently didn't find me so
saintly. A post I had made to a local commuter board expressing frustration
regarding traffic at a particular intersection caused someone to let me know
that she thought that I was a hypocrite for advocating meditation in my sig
and at the same time being angry about cars and being inconsiderate by
blocking traffic and taking the lane.

Anger is as legitimate a sentiment as any other.

Well, she should see what an angry, nasty bitch I'd be if I didn't have
meditation as a resource. I'd be even more of an emotional basketcase,
probably on drugs or psychotherapy or both. The zendo is not a hall of
saints, but an asylum from lunacy.

I don't get what causes people to post or email purposely hurtful things.
Why write disparging remarks about other people, especially without
provocation? If someone bugs you, a quiet killfiling would seem to suffice.
Why be mean?

I guess expressing feelings brings similar out in other
people, and maybe some one-upmanship comes into play
("I can be angrier than you.") Let it get out of
control and the next thing you know, you've got a
self-amplifying feedback loop, like in Norman McLaren's
animated film: 'Neighbours'. It seems to work the
other way, too. Remember how Ray Charles always had
that big, infectious grin while performing? Whenever
I saw that, I always found myself smiling and feeling
good along with him.

cheers, & Ray Charles lives,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old March 10th 05, 07:03 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Ryan Cousineau writes:

Sun-tzu said:

"There are roads that are not followed.

Wherever these roads are, they're sure not in Vancouver.
Or Burnaby. Even if there are "Detour" or "Road Closed"
signs up, nobody believes 'em.

cheers,
Tom