Reason for metallic strips on soles of Shimano road shoes?

Old July 24th 05, 05:06 AM
Kovie

Default Reason for metallic strips on soles of Shimano road shoes?

I just bought a pair of Shimano R-151 road shoes and noticed a series of
parallel metallic strips on their soles, on either side of the back screw
holes, and in front of the front screw hole. I assume these are visual aids
in positioning cleats. But why metallic? Is this just to make them more
visible, or do they interact with some sort of cleat positioning device that
uses magnetic sensors?

--
Kovie
zen

Old July 24th 05, 09:36 PM

Kovie wrote:
I just bought a pair of Shimano R-151 road shoes and noticed a series of
parallel metallic strips on their soles, on either side of the back screw
holes, and in front of the front screw hole. I assume these are visual aids
in positioning cleats. But why metallic? Is this just to make them more
visible, or do they interact with some sort of cleat positioning device that
uses magnetic sensors?

--
Kovie
zen

Are you sure they're metallic? My Nikes have similar marks and look
metallic, but they're just stickers.

Old July 25th 05, 07:40 AM
Kovie

wrote in message
oups.com...
Kovie wrote:
I just bought a pair of Shimano R-151 road shoes and noticed a series of
parallel metallic strips on their soles, on either side of the back screw
holes, and in front of the front screw hole. I assume these are visual
aids
in positioning cleats. But why metallic? Is this just to make them more
visible, or do they interact with some sort of cleat positioning device
that
uses magnetic sensors?

--
Kovie
zen

Are you sure they're metallic? My Nikes have similar marks and look
metallic, but they're just stickers.

No simple way to tell, which is why I referred to them as metallic, which is
just a color, and not metal. If Nike uses the same kind of strips, then
maybe it's just a style thing.

--
Kovie
zen

Old July 25th 05, 06:02 PM

maybe to aid in carbon sole longevity?

there are aftermarket metal plates, very thin, that are used w/
speedplay for that very reason.