Advice sought on fork repair

Old July 24th 05, 10:26 AM
Andrew W

Default Advice sought on fork repair

I have a broken fork which I would like to get repaired.

http://tinyurl.com/coljg

The left hand fork has the steerer tube come away from the crown. The
threaded insert for mudguard/brakes/reflector bracket is all that is
holding the steerer in place.

The fork is from a 26" wheel touring bike with 1" unthreaded steerer.
The main frame is Renolds 631 tubing, the fork isn't marked so I don't
know the exact materials, though it is the original for that bike.

I would just go ahead and get it fixed, but there are two things that
concern me:

1. Looking from below (http://tinyurl.com/88vxd) the end of the steerer
tube is now distinctly flattened at one side and has deformed the hole
in the crown. It is no longer a snug fit in the crown, but wobbles
freely. (I had difficulty getting my camera to focus on the right bit
here so the photo isn't as clear as it might be).

2. No matter what I do the steerer will never sit straight, this is
about the best I can do (http://tinyurl.com/dtvc7). The only thing I
can think of is that the crown itself may be somewhat twisted (though I
can see no sign of damage even to the paintwork).

So, at last getting to the point. Should I:

1. Get a new steerer fixed to the damaged fork, letting the
framebuilder work out how to get it straight and fill in any gaps round
the hole.

2. On the right of the pictures you will see an old 531 fork. Can I
simply have the threaded steerer replaced with a longer, unthreaded one
and use this? (lack of disk and low-rider mounts are not and issue)?

Advice sought.

Andrew

Old July 24th 05, 10:40 AM

Maybe cheaper to get a new fork.

Old July 24th 05, 03:37 PM
RonSonic

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 05:40:08 -0400, wrote:

Maybe cheaper to get a new fork.

I'd feel a lot better if I were the one riding it.

Ron

Old July 24th 05, 03:49 PM
Werehatrack

On 24 Jul 2005 02:26:26 -0700, "Andrew W"
wrote:

So, at last getting to the point. Should I:

1. Get a new steerer fixed to the damaged fork, letting the
framebuilder work out how to get it straight and fill in any gaps round
the hole.

It would probably be much cheaper to get a new fork, and would
certainly be cheaper to get a used fork that's in good condition. If
money wasn't a concern, I'd still scrap that fork due to the
deformation in the crown stamping. The support for the end of the
tube looks like it was significantly less than I'd have liked to begin
with; why try to preserve something that seems to have had
shortcomings that produced a failure?

2. On the right of the pictures you will see an old 531 fork. Can I
simply have the threaded steerer replaced with a longer, unthreaded one
and use this? (lack of disk and low-rider mounts are not and issue)?

Although this is technically possible, once again it's likely that a
new fork would be considerably cheaper, and a used one with an
appropriate steerer (which is what you're talking about expensively
making from that old fork) would be less far costly than the mod. It
may take a bit of shopping, though; one inch threadless forks for that
wheel size aren't exactly common...but I see them turn up on eBay
often enough.

As an alternate, I might consider using a threaded fork and a
threaded-to-threadless conversion stem; used threaded forks are much
more plentiful.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old July 24th 05, 03:51 PM
Bill Sornson

Andrew W wrote:
I have a broken fork which I would like to get repaired.

http://tinyurl.com/coljg

The left hand fork has the steerer tube come away from the crown.

Dude. There's this radical concept called "spending a little money". BUY
*TWO* NEW FORKS (that green one's gotta go, too).

What kind of bikes were these attcahed to? Maybe time to replace them as
well?

Life's too short... BS

Old July 24th 05, 03:56 PM
Bill Sornson

Bill Sornson wrote:
Andrew W wrote:
I have a broken fork which I would like to get repaired.

http://tinyurl.com/coljg

The left hand fork has the steerer tube come away from the crown.

Dude. There's this radical concept called "spending a little money".
BUY *TWO* NEW FORKS (that green one's gotta go, too).

OK, I re-read post. Still...

Old July 24th 05, 04:32 PM
Andrew W

If I could easily source a decent fork of appropriate dimensions then I
would buy one, but none of five bike shops I visited yesterday had ANY
forks of this size, never mind some that would be a good match for my
frame.

A good bit of internet seaching has failed to come up with anything
either. Surprising for a 3-year old bike, but that's life.

So the only choices I seem to have are using these or spending a
significant amount having one custom made.

I'm not averse to spending a little money - after all, I reckon a
replacement steerer will be fifty to sixty pounds by the time I've got
it re-painted etc. My problem is that stock forks of this dimension
just don't seem to be available at any price.

Andrew

Old July 24th 05, 04:53 PM
Andrew W

Thanks for your comments.

I think the failure of the fork had more to do with my collision with
an oncoming vehicle than any design problems. However, the consensus
seems to be that damage to the crown such as this rules out repair - I
think I will have to resign myself to this view.

I have had a good look on e-bay in the UK with no luck. Maybe I should
hold off for a while and keep looking. The problem is that not only is
it 1", but the steerer length in 260mm, which seems to be longer than
the average, and rules out most second-hand forks.

It is my inability to source a new fork that leads me to contemplate
other options in the first place. It seems odd that I can easily
source spares for bikes dating back to the 70s and 80s, but not ones
from this century.

Your idea of looking for a threaded fork and using an adaptor seems a
good one. After all it doubles my chances of a successful search. I
will be replacing the headset in any case, so that isn't an issue.

Thanks for the advice

Andrew